Spyder Garage

Default anyone using amsoil 10w40 in spyder?

i switched from castrol and noticed it runs quieter and shifts better but runs slightly hotter I bought this much more expensive oil because it said it would run cooler but the castrol was much cooler running than this, I will probably pull the oil out early and switch back to castrol 5 w 40 so I dont take a chance ruining anything internally but I wanted to see who else is using this stuff in a spyder (was running 3 -4 bars with castrol now 4-5 bars with amsoil even at night with cool temps outside running 3-4 bars with amsoil)
    Last edited by jeremy taflinger; 07-27-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've been using AMSOIL 10W-40 almost exclusively in my Spyder since 2008 and I think it's been good. The few times I didn't use AMSOIL, I used Spectro Gold 10W-40.
    Last edited by bjt; 07-27-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am using the Amsoil as well. Switched to it for my trip earlier this summer and kept it in. I think it's fine. Shifting is good and quick. I do think my spydie is running a little hotter than last summer but not sure I can attribute that to the Amsoil. Anyway, it certainly not running so hot as to damage anything(except my foot occasionally).

Spyder Garage

So what are your oil temps with the two oils?

Spyder Garage

We have been using Amsoil since the first oil change and are very satisfied. likes it !

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Amsoil for me as well.. 20-50 for now as opposed to 10-40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Amsoil for me as well.. 20-50 for now as opposed to 10-40
    20-50?? Are you crazy man??

Seriously though, I was told not to run that grade in the engine. WHy are you? Inquiring minds want to know!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy taflinger View Post
    i switched from castrol and noticed it runs quieter and shifts better but runs slightly hotter I bought this much more expensive oil because it said it would run cooler but the castrol was much cooler running than this, I will probably pull the oil out early and switch back to castrol 5 w 40 so I dont take a chance ruining anything internally but I wanted to see who else is using this stuff in a spyder (was running 3 -4 bars with castrol now 4-5 bars with amsoil even at night with cool temps outside running 3-4 bars with amsoil)
    Exactly the opposite effect here. After 600 miles check-up at the dealer when they put in the BRP oil I saw 5-6 bars and the fan came on a lot. Since putting Amsoil in...I've seen 6 bars "flicker" a few times but consistently running cooler and the fan has not come on at all. Even this past weekend with high temps, high humidity and 500+ miles on the road.

3-4 bars is now the norm.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    Exactly the opposite effect here. After 600 miles check-up at the dealer when they put in the BRP oil I saw 5-6 bars and the fan came on a lot. Since putting Amsoil in...I've seen 6 bars "flicker" a few times but consistently running cooler and the fan has not come on at all. Even this past weekend with high temps, high humidity and 500+ miles on the road.

3-4 bars is now the norm.
    If you have seen 6 bars "flicker", and your fan has not come on, something is wrong. The fan should kick in when you hit a solid 5 bars. It doesn't kick in as soon as you hit 5, but soon thereafter, so you could run at 5 with it either off or on, but it is usually on then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you have seen 6 bars "flicker", and your fan has not come on, something is wrong. The fan should kick in when you hit a solid 5 bars. It doesn't kick in as soon as you hit 5, but soon thereafter, so you could run at 5 with it either off or on, but it is usually on then.
    Thought about that a lot Scotty. But literally the only times I get 5 bars is when in traffic and it's very rare it flicks up to 6 bars. I do watch it intently (what else is there to do in traffic?) In fact I've been in traffic...stop n go after a long ride in the heat and it'll go to 5 bars when I hit the first stop light. Then right back to 4 even in traffic while idling. 100% of the time when back up to speed it's back to 3-4 bars regardless of the outside temp. I don't ride in traffic much..too close to the cagers for comfort.

Again, no question the change is due to the Amsoil.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tajohn View Post
    We have been using Amsoil since the first oil change and are very satisfied. likes it !
    Same here...lots of great reviews of Amsoil out there on the "inter-webs"! My dealer sells/services many brands of bikes/ATVs/snowmobiles (etc) and they swear by it.

Edit: Oh yeah...because we've started the whole "oil" discussion again...we should get the octane and tire pressure arguments going again!!!
    Last edited by Some Guy; 07-28-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: sarcasm!

Spyder Garage

I have my front tires set at 89 octane.
    That ought to cover it.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    I have my front tires set at 89 octane.
    That ought to cover it.

Spyder Garage

pitbull

I've got some new products if any one is intrersed its and additive to go with your oil smoother and makes it run cooler by about 20+degrees also one that goes in your radiator that will make your fan kick on about half as much! the additive is just added to the oil and stays inside the motor even when you change the oil it absorbs into the metal and won't hurt yoour clutch! Its a new product been running it for a while now in spyders four wheelrs and bikes also in the lower units of our drag boats.....its adding about 10 times the life to the gear cases in the boats.....
    Last edited by pitbull; 07-29-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow no additives needed

+Just fyi, don't put additives in your AMSOIL, as they're both unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tajohn View Post
    Same here!
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    +Just fyi, don't put additives in your AMSOIL, as they're both unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    This works with any oil its more of a water type liquid....wont harm your enging.....its being uesd by the factory to work with all oils??? but no worries

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3tracs View Post
    Same here!
    +1