Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Commuter

Spyder Garage

Default Daily Commuter

Curious if many ryders use a Spyder as their daily commuter vehicle or their daily driver? We will be using it as a part time commuter vehicle in addition to a touring fun machine.

-Alan

Spyder Garage

Not every day, but I do commute to work on a regular basis on my Spyder. I have to admit weather plays a large part in how often.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If I wasn't retired I'd look very closely at using my RT as a daily commuter. In the past I used motorcycles as my daily transportation when I lived in Hawaii, the Philippines and Key West.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Daily commuter here, ride into work 3-4 days a week.

The good:
    -- Plenty of room in the frunk to pack a work bag/lunch/gently folded suit coat/grocery run on the way home from work
    -- Big, weird bike = more drivers see me on it than on two wheels
    -- I've commuted in every kind of nasty mean weather but heavy ice and driving snow, totally confident on it.
    -- GREAT brakes have saved me more than once

The bad:
    -- Gearing up (and down) for a relatively short commute is a PITA, but I can't help myself, I'm an OCD ATGATT
    -- My Spyder's got to warm up a bit (one bar) before it runs well, can't just hop on and ride
    -- MPG nowhere near as good as a two-wheeler
    -- No lane splitting (yeah, it's illegal here, too-- but in a pinch in a nightmare of a traffic jam, the option to split is sometimes the safest route... no can do on the Spyder).

Overall? If I still owned a car, I'd probably commute more in the car than on the Spyder. Don't get me wrong, I love riding it every chance I get, it's just not as convenient as a car nor as flexible as a small bike/scooter. Paradoxically, I'd probably enjoy riding the Spyder more if I had a LONGER commute-- it's just a bit involved to ride just a few miles door-to-door.
    Last edited by daveinva; 04-19-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up We've been AWOL lately, but we've got over 46K miles on Teds Red Sled

And we've done many road-trips but most those miles were from daily commuting right here in the Cincy/NKY area as we live in Covington and I work in Sharonville.

Its doable as a daily driver, but as with anything, and as others have mentioned, you need to be prepaired for any weather, cause I'm sure your well aware of Cincy weather changing frequently. Back in 2011, we even rode all winter long, minus 6 days due to too much ice/snow on the roads. Don't really do that anymore, cause we learned our lesson about the corrosive effects of road salt on our trailer hitch.

And don't forget about the Cincy area Pot-Holes from hell, they can really do a number on you cause unlike a 2 wheeler, you can't miss them nearly as easily. We've lost a few things off the sled from hit'n some nasty holes, especially on I75.

Keep rain gear stored in one of the saddle bags, cause you know the weather forcasts around here are rarely accurate

Spyder Garage

Not anymore!!!

I work from home and my wife got mad at me for riding the spyder down the stairs, now I have to keep in the garage...

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

35 miles each direction to work. Mostly freeway but some areas of bumper to bumper traffic.
    Love being able to ride in the HOV lane

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyday commute? Of course, if the weather ain't crappy or cold! About a mile each way from home to coffee shop 4 or 5 days a week and 30 miles each way for a weekly coffee/breakfast get together with guys from church. That one I refer to as the "Christian bull s***ters" group! Plus trips to the local NAPA store and weekly Lions lunch. Hmmmmm, maybe it's all those short trips why I'm only getting about 26 mpg, suppose?
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

I am retired but ryde everyday. Will range from 15 to 80 miles. If I was working I would go back and forth and love it. Well may have an issue if it is all heavy traffic. These are not great parade machines. In heavy traffic I don't care which model or year they will get hot...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alanmcd View Post
    Curious if many ryders use a Spyder as their daily commuter vehicle or their daily driver? We will be using it as a part time commuter vehicle in addition to a touring fun machine.

-Alan
    Yep I ryde Rain Snow or shine unless its icey

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride ours to work when the wife isn't riding it! When see rides it I ride my beast the Honda VTX 1800N.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I do ride it to the office when weather is good, love it!!!

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

Yes, as the weather permits I put more miles on riding to work than pleasure riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also work from home but ryde it to lunch every day, weather permitting. Then longer fun rydes on weekends with friends. It is great for small grocery runs, also.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

I use mine to commute to work when ever possible. I look forward to those long after work rides home. Takes about 30 min to get to work and about 2 hours to get home.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Riding whenever the weather allows...
    The Jeep gets way less use; once the riding season breaks out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Daily commuter here. A brutal 4 miles to work and with the new 2014 taking back roads, it just gets to operating temperature. On the way home, it is get on the highway, go down three stops and home in 7 minutes.

Downside on the 2014 is the frunk is significantly smaller than the 2008. I can barely get my full face Arai helmet in there and then it is wedged halfway down. The jacket and gloves go in the back. The side cases are pretty much worthless. Thinking about going to my dealer's Spyder Days when the BRP reps will be there to tell them to make the bags bigger. Of course, I'm not going to buy a new Spyder for a while but they did so much to make the 2014 perfect, they just missed on size.

Luckily I work for a tech company so I can wear jeans and boots and t-shirt everyday so I don't have the hassle of changing into work clothes. Same comments as upthread in that all the lights on and the bright yellow color, I feel like I'm more easily seen.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Ha! I forgot I made this a while back.

My commute on Socal Freeways

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-20-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Daily Commuter

Nearly every day. I'm a retired teacher, now working part time as a substitute teacher. Whether it's elementary, middle, or high school, the kids love it and it's a good ice-breaker for new classes.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here in the UK we have a time change from GMT to British Summer Time

British Summer times ends the last weekend in Oct when the Time is changed to GMT giving more light in the mornings and darker nights for the Autum/Winter period - I don't tend to ride the Spyder much to work during this time as I only have about 3 miles to go from my home to my place of work and its dark in the morning and dark in the evenings with cold temp and Sometimes frost/snow with salt being added to the road surfaces

Once we change to British Summer time the last weekend in March this now gives us lighter mornings and lighter evenings for the Spring/Summer period - unless is raining I use my Spyder as often as I can

It means I share the annual mileage between my Car and the Spyder

The only issue is the Spyder electrical system does take its toll on the Battery due to the constant short journeys
    So I ensure the Spyder is put on a Battery Tender after each short trip - Longer trips are ok

Of the two I enjoy riding the Spyder the most
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I did the daily commuter thing from 2001 until 2011. It was always on the "bike of the moment". From 2008 until 2011--Spyder time.

My commute was 25 miles one way, so got to ryde 50 miles each day--regardless of other stuff. Rain or shine from April through October. My car was only used a few times each summer.

Since I no longer have day jobs in Anchorage, I now have my daily commute to pick up the mail. 50 to 100 miles per day--most days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Every day that weather allows I ryde to work on my 2012 RSS. It is about a 30 mile round trip and somehow I always manage to take the long way home.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Ha! I forgot I made this a while back.

My commute on Socal Freeways
    What video editing program do you use, and how easy is it to use? I hope you don't say a Mac program! Not that have I anything against Apple, it's just that that's not the available platform at my church!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Won't have mine until next year but certain don't see why I wouldn't use it as a daily driver/commuter. Have but a 6 mile ride to work and it's not a biggie with the Bonneville the days I don't have to bring my son to summer camp (solo seat that is NOT being changed). Not ashamed to say it would be 100% weather dependent as I'm a fair-weather rider.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    And we've done many road-trips but most those miles were from daily commuting right here in the Cincy/NKY area as we live in Covington and I work in Sharonville.

Its doable as a daily driver, but as with anything, and as others have mentioned, you need to be prepaired for any weather, cause I'm sure your well aware of Cincy weather changing frequently. Back in 2011, we even rode all winter long, minus 6 days due to too much ice/snow on the roads. Don't really do that anymore, cause we learned our lesson about the corrosive effects of road salt on our trailer hitch.

And don't forget about the Cincy area Pot-Holes from hell, they can really do a number on you cause unlike a 2 wheeler, you can't miss them nearly as easily. We've lost a few things off the sled from hit'n some nasty holes, especially on I75.

Keep rain gear stored in one of the saddle bags, cause you know the weather forcasts around here are rarely accurate
    Good to see you back, You ok ?