Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Filter and "O" ring

Good Morning:

Does anyone have a source for the NEW style transmission filter for a 2012 RT SE5? My dealership is smoking crack. They want almost $25.00 for the filter and "O" ring.

I spoke with Baja Ron. He does not carry them and BRP was no help either.

Thanks for you help.

Ed

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Amazon, Powersport Superstore, or OEMcycle.com. I use the Hi-Flo brand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
    Amazon, Powersport Superstore, or OEMcycle.com. I use the Hi-Flo brand.
    Hi-Flo only makes the regular oil filter (That is the brand BajaRon sells). They do not make the transmission filter, which is what the OP is looking for.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy did some dig'n & found what you need

Just an FYI:
    Teddy pulled up the BRP Parts Order page for a 2012 RT SE5 like the OP has, and it says that the 'transmission' Filter is 'NOT AVAILABLE' 420956745 ***OLD DISCONTINUED MODEL***

So just out of curiosity, Teddy pulled the same up for the 2013 RT Limited (SE5) & it came up as 'AVAILABLE' 420956747 $13.12 & the Oring is $1.99 420650500 & those are the parts numbers.

So you can order them yourself & have them shipped to your dealer for free for a total of : $15.11

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Just an FYI:
    Teddy pulled up the BRP Parts Order page for a 2012 RT SE5 like the OP has, and it says that the 'transmission' Filter is 'NOT AVAILABLE' 420956745 ***OLD DISCONTINUED MODEL***

So just out of curiosity, Teddy pulled the same up for the 2013 RT Limited (SE5) & it came up as 'AVAILABLE' 420956747 $13.12 & the Oring is $1.99 420650500 & those are the parts numbers.

So you can order them yourself & have them shipped to your dealer for free for a total of : $15.11

Not all dealers work with Shopatron, Dave... I always have to get my parts ordered thru this system shipped to Memphis, and there are 3 BRP dealers in the metro area alone. Just FYI...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Bought one today at my dealer in Winston Salem and with a 10% discount it came to $7.19 incl NC tax. Find you another dealer or order several from one of the on-line dealers who price them reasonably. As to O rings, I think I changed mine once some time ago. If they aren't damaged I can see no reason to change them often. This practice is based on many years with diff bikes. I've never had a leak.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Hi-Flo only makes the regular oil filter (That is the brand BajaRon sells). They do not make the transmission filter, which is what the OP is looking for.
    I missed him wanting the longer filter. HiFlo does have the original transmission filter available, HF559. And that is still what I use, with the short cover. Works fine, the oil will be toast before the filter is loaded with dirt.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
    I missed him wanting the longer filter. HiFlo does have the original transmission filter available, HF559. And that is still what I use, with the short cover. Works fine, the oil will be toast before the filter is loaded with dirt.
    Curiousity piqued, I went to the dealer today and looked into the kit. New deeper cover, o-ring, and longer filter, 8.99 . I got my 10% good customer discount, so it was less than 9.00 even with tax.

Spyder Garage

Default Why not every other oil change?

Would be nice if BRP would allow going two oil changes on the Xmsn filter like they once did. Back then, the shorter filter apparently had some issues, like collapsing, and that may be why they went to replacement at every oil change. Later they came out with the extended cap and filter wire covered outside and inside to prevent collapsing. Seems to me this one should be good for 2 oil changes. But then there's the old "warranty bug-a-boo".............

Top quality car filters are good for 15K and more. My Accord calls for filter change every other time and some of these car filters are really tiny!

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Would be nice if BRP would allow going two oil changes on the Xmsn filter like they once did. Back then, the shorter filter apparently had some issues, like collapsing, and that may be why they went to replacement at every oil change. Later they came out with the extended cap and filter wire covered outside and inside to prevent collapsing. Seems to me this one should be good for 2 oil changes. But then there's the old "warranty bug-a-boo".............

Top quality car filters are good for 15K and more. My Accord calls for filter change every other time and some of these car filters are really tiny!
    I don't think you need to worry about warranty if you go an additional oil change between filters. The engine probably won't fail until it's out of warranty. What I don't understand is why anyone would put clean oil on top of a dirty filter
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could be cheap insurance for as cheap as they are, just my .02

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about warranty if you go an additional oil change between filters. The engine probably won't fail until it's out of warranty. What I don't understand is why anyone would put clean oil on top of a dirty filter
    Lot of folks have the extened warranty and do worry about these things. I'm really only concerned about my clutch and thats covered anyway.

Unless you do some sort of flush your motor and transmission will always have some "dirty" oil left in after a drain and I doubt if the two filters combined hold more than a tablespoon or so.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 11-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

I seems silly to me to buy a $25,000 plus machine then quibble over stretching the life of a $10 filter. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I seems silly to me to buy a $25,000 plus machine then quibble over stretching the life of a $10 filter. JMHO

Didn't realize I was "quibbling", but if you see it that way, so be it.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Scotty couldn't of said it better.

Spyder Garage

Didn't realize I was "quibbling", but if you see it that way, so be it.
    Maybe that is not the right word, but it seems to be penny-wise and pond-foolish to me. Oil and filters, and frequent changes, are the very cheapest way we have to maintain the lives of our expensive machines, along with the use of quality products which meet or exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. Why take a chance for a few bucks?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Smile

Maybe that is not the right word, but it seems to be penny-wise and pond-foolish to me. Oil and filters, and frequent changes, are the very cheapest way we have to maintain the lives of our expensive machines, along with the use of quality products which meet or exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. Why take a chance for a few bucks?
    Couldn't agree more. What I should have also said and obviously didn't, is that, to me, that transmission filter is a pistol to change and so messy, that it would be nice if it didn't have to be done every time.

I've never been a proponent of extended oil changes; I've done too many lab reports that prove otherwise, and do mine every 4K unless a lab test calls for one earlier.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Couldn't agree more. What I should have also said and obviously didn't, is that, to me, that transmission filter is a pistol to change and so messy, that it would be nice if it didn't have to be done every time.

I've never been a proponent of extended oil changes; I've done too many lab reports that prove otherwise, and do mine every 4K unless a lab test calls for one earlier.
    It's not that messy when you have the right technique. Take a rag and stuff the edge of it between the cooling fins with a screwdriver just below the filter housing. The oil that runs out is caught by the rag. Almost nothing to clean up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's not that messy when you have the right technique. Take a rag and stuff the edge of it between the cooling fins with a screwdriver just below the filter housing. The oil that runs out is caught by the rag. Almost nothing to clean up.

Thanks Billy.....I'll give it a another try; got a change coming up shortly. When I did try, the rag it fell out so I never bothered again. You'd think I'd have it down pat by now inasmuch as I do mine and a couple others as well.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Anyone know where I can get a transmission filter for a 2012 Rss SE5. I was using KN 559. Seems to be discontinued by kn. And hiflo 559 matches up with the old smaller cover that Can Am changed to but I have the updated cover which is bigger
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Drop a dime on BajaRon. He carries them. Sponsor here, listed on main page.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange