Spyder Garage

Question New Spyder owner, but a couple of problems!

Hi folks!

I have a question regarding an issue I had today with a new 2013 RT SE5 that I bought just 4 days ago (I did search but couldn't find anything). Today in sunny Cali I parked my spyder outside for a few hours while at work and when I came back and tried to start it, the LCD screen was acting up. I could tell the spyder was powering on from the gauges, but the screen was black. I turned the power off and back on again, but this time the screen looked almost like someone had hit it, with black spots and discoloration all over it. It did start when I tried the engine, so I figured it was just broken and resigned myself to a ride home without the LCD screen working and a planned trip to the dealer in the future. However, about 10 minutes into the ride I noticed the screen had cleared up and was back to normal. What could have happened? Should I take it to the dealer anyway? The temp outside today was about 85. It was parked in the sun so it was warmer for sure though. Now I'm worried about how the heat will affect the spyder, as it routinely gets in the 120s out here in the desert during the summer. I don't want to tear up my new toy!

The only other issue I have is I think my right foot might melt if riding for a long time (it's terribly hot, even when riding in 65 degree temps at night). I've done a lot of reading here over the last few weeks (a LOT) and I have one of Spyderpops cat shields on the way (amongst other things) that will hopefully fix the problem since the heat seems to be more on my ankle than on the toe of my boot. I hope it fixes it!

I've read the 2013 RTs have had some recall issues, but didn't think to ask about it at the dealer when I bought it (was too excited I guess). Because I bought it late in the year do I have to worry about this, or can it wait until I take it in for the 600 mile service to ask about it?

On a side note this thing is a ton of fun to drive and my wife loves it too. Thanks for any help in advance... this forum is awesome!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post

I've read the 2013 RTs have had some recall issues, but didn't think to ask about it at the dealer when I bought it (was too excited I guess). Because I bought it late in the year do I have to worry about this, or can it wait until I take it in for the 600 mile service to ask about it?
    Congrats on the new bike. I can't reply on the first issue, as I have never had this happen to me. As for the recalls. I believe they should have all been completed before you took delivery of the bike. I would still call as a safe guard though.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood~Dave

If your LCD is acting up like that, I'd definitely recommend calling your dealer about it & seeing what they say & also inquire to make sure they've done all the required recalls on your machine. They should have, being a safety recall, they were'nt suppose to sell any New Units without first doing the recall work on them, so you should be fine, but never hurts to ask A few (earlier model years) have reported issues with the LCD & our 2010 RT-S had an issue as well, and clusters have been replaced under warranty if needed.

Being in the area that your in, I'd also recommend getting something like the BRP Travel Cover & using it anytime your going to be leaving your Spyder in the Hot Sun for any length of time. We have one & like & use it alot, only takes about 60 seconds to put on & take off, once you learn the ins & outs of the cover & it will not only protect your ryde from the scorching sun, but also hopefully keep curious onlookers from doing more than just looking. You may not think it, but trust me, some ppl have no understanding of other peoples property and we've actually had to replace a torn seat due to a guy putting his kid on the Spyder so he could take a pic (as I watched from the window of my dr's office) & she stood up on the seat to get off, tearing it right at the front embroidery/crotch area

None too happy, but I live & learn every day Hopefully our experience can help others, just like you Welcome to the SpyderHood & Enjoy the Ryde
    Here's an example of the BRP Travel Cover. It only covers the top portion of the RT, so there's still room for air-flow so it doesn't trap the heat nearly as bad as the full cover & potentially cause other issues in really HOT climates like yours
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 10-09-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

I also say return it and let the dealer look at it.

Yep the sun and heat out there will cook the plastics if not covered or parked in the shade!

My son was just in Joshua Tree last week visiting his grandparents.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'll try and answer in reverse order. You're more than likely good to go on the updates with your spyder. Most of the issues were earlier (save the cannister, master cylinder heat issue). Just ask them if they performed that one.

As for the heat? Well you've said you have read the forum regarding that. I have a "13" like you, and I'm still working on that one. (Actually I haven't done anything except change the water/coolant ratio. There has been a "slight" drop in my temperature reading. However, it hasn't effected my "hot foot" issue. I'm gonna do what you did and get with Harvey at Spyderpops. (I keep saying that). There's some other things that I have in mind. That issue just simply goes with the territory of our spyders.

As for your first question, every once in awhile (especially if I turn my spyder on and off in quick succession, I will experience a crazy LCD screen. I've never had any problems starting the spyder. I generally just chaulk it up to trying to turn it back on too fast after I have turned it off, i.e., computer rebooting issue. Again, it's always started though once the screen cleared up.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and on your new .

Sometimes when an LCD is exposed to direct sunlight and lots of heat it can get 'flakey' until it cools off. In any event, it wouldn't hurt to see the dealer about your problem.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

See the dealer about the LCD display. That is not normal. I've had a host of display problems over the 3-3/4 years with my 2010 RT. I'm on my 5th dash cluster now. All had different problems, although they may have a common cause. When I had a LCD failure, I noticed I had no audio controls. Whatever they were set at when it failed is what they stayed at until it went back to normal.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default LCD blackout

I've had the same thing happen to my LCD. After sitting in direct sunlight the screen turned dark, but then lightened up after being taken out of direct sunlight. Is it possible that the lens is treated like eye glasses that darken in sunlight? Could this be a measure to protect the LCD display by blocking the direct sunlight from hitting it? It even happened here in northern VT where the sun is probably no where near as strong as in the CA desert. Just wondering.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    and on your new .

Sometimes when an LCD is exposed to direct sunlight and lots of heat it can get 'flakey' until it cools off. In any event, it wouldn't hurt to see the dealer about your problem.
    Direct sun light will do it, Not to worry, When i had my 08 i would leave the safety card out as a sunscreen when i parked in the sun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Direct sun light will do it, Not to worry, When i had my 08 i would leave the safety card out as a sunscreen when i parked in the sun.
    So there actually IS a valid use for that safety card!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yep...I do the same thing...only my cards no longer have the safety instructions on them.

Both Spyders have one of Lamont's "Don't Mess With My Spyder" decals instead!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Parking your Spyder in direct sunlight will cause the screen to go black...this is normal behavior for the Spyder and there is no need for a trip to the dealer (unless you are needing to go for another reason). The screen will be visible in a moment or 2 once you start driving. The LCD screen should be somehow covered when parked...or you should seek a shady spot to park in. The BRP 1/2 cover works well to protect the LCD as well as the rest of the bike when you are parked. A 3rd option is to pull out the safety card (the one nobody reads after day 1) and this will block the sun from your LCD screen while you're away. Congrats on the purchase of your new Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Recall Recall

Make sure the your dealer did the RECALL for the Master Cylinder.
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Spyder Garage

Wow, thank you all very much for the replies. You guys are the best! I'll be taking into account all the input and suggestions here. I've just ordered a travel cover online and will contact the dealer today to find out if the recall was completed already. Now I'm hoping those cat shields will fix the hot ankle issue... The heat has actually caused the sole of my boot to separate from the rest of the boot in the front and it's not very comfortable!

Thanks again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take it back to your dealer and tell them the problems. You better read more post here about 2013's. Direct sunlight is very destructive that's why people use sunblock to prevent skin cancer.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

It looks like you have received lots of advice about the issues. Nothing I can add to that list.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I cannot answer for your RT (I have an 08 RS) But I can say Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    The heat has actually caused the sole of my boot to separate from the rest of the boot in the front and it's not very comfortable!

Thanks again!
    That IS NOT a problem specific to 2013 models.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

on your new . Call your dealership and get it taken care of.

Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

FYI per Scotty (I think). The LCD will go blank or act up if left in direct sunlight. It is normal and is a safety to protect the LCD display.

Most people pull out the safety card thing and let it hang in front of the display to give it shade.

I bought the 1/2 cover and always cover my bike if I park it a long time on a sunny day. Keeps the seat from getting to hot too!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Right foot heat

Spyderpops products for blocking the heat certainly did assist in dissipating the heat. Unfortunately, I didn't think the CAT blocker helped all that much. Of course anything is better than simply factory. Welcome to the world of 3 or "Y" Ryding. You will soon see the heat is a minor pain to overcome....Ryde on my friend Ryde on!

Spyder Garage

Default Experienced the Same Behavior With the LCD

I parked Uly with the sun shining (hot, clear day) directly onto the LCD. The screen was exactly as you described. After about 10 minutes of riding, the display cleared right up. The behavior has not reoccurred.

From my experience, the LCD was susceptible to the heat/energy from the sun. After cooling off the LCD behaves exactly as it did before this event. So, if your LCD is like mine, you're fine, no issues.
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

Nickname: ULY (Unusual Little Yellow, pronounced "ooo-lee")

> Custom Dynamics HMT LED Brake Lights, Dual Converter and Magic Strobe
    > Kuryakyn 6183 ISO-Grips
    > Battery Tender Jr.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Yep...I do the same thing...only my cards no longer have the safety instructions on them.

Both Spyders have one of Lamont's "Don't Mess With My Spyder" decals instead!
    That's like taking the tag off your mattress I think I'm gonna send the tag police out to pay you a visit.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Cover the Garmin with my headsock and put my gloves in front of the display. When, condtions allow. Or, toss the travel cover on. jm2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.