Thread: Loss of Power

Spyder Garage

Default Loss of Power

I have a 2011 RT Limited with the SE5 transmission. I have recently experienced a brief but complete loss of power when shifting between 1st and 2nd and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. As soon as I shift it loses power and almost feels like the engine dies, but it only last for about 1 second, then comes right back. I have experienced this on multiple occasions and under both moderate throttle and easy throttle. Anyone else experience this? I am due for an oil change soon but wanted to check before talking with the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default shifting

Quote Originally Posted by sczimmer View Post
    I have a 2011 RT Limited with the SE5 transmission. I have recently experienced a brief but complete loss of power when shifting between 1st and 2nd and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. As soon as I shift it loses power and almost feels like the engine dies, but it only last for about 1 second, then comes right back. I have experienced this on multiple occasions and under both moderate throttle and easy throttle. Anyone else experience this? I am due for an oil change soon but wanted to check before talking with the dealer.
    i had a pingle electric shifter on my goldwing. the way the system worked was when you pressed the button to upshift it would shut the coils down for a split second allowing the transmission to go into gear. now i don't know for sure but the spyder might due the same thing for shifting si it just might be that and would require to have the bike put on a computer to re adjust the timing between shifts
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

What rpm are you shifting at? Too low and the Spyder will hesitate to shift. Too high and you may lose traction, which could kick in the VSS. Are you backing off the throttle when shifting? That will make it do what you are describing. The throttle is meant to be held steady when shifting. The throttle blibber quickly backs off the throttle and reapplies it. The throttle blipper could be faulty, too. If you think it is odd, see your dealer. A ride on a demo would let you compare, and your tech or service advisor vcan evaluate your situation.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    What rpm are you shifting at? Too low and the Spyder will hesitate to shift. Too high and you may lose traction, which could kick in the VSS. Are you backing off the throttle when shifting? That will make it do what you are describing. The throttle is meant to be held steady when shifting. The throttle blibber quickly backs off the throttle and reapplies it. The throttle blipper could be faulty, too. If you think it is odd, see your dealer. A ride on a demo would let you compare, and your tech or service advisor vcan evaluate your situation.
    As I mentioned it has happened under different conditions. Under medium throttle the RPM shift point was between 4200 and 4500. In the gentle throttle it was around 3500. I did not back off the throttle when shifting. I'm not losing traction, the engine goes almost completely flat. RPM drops drastically, then immediately comes back.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Hows your oil level?

You mentioned your due for an oil change, when is the last time you checked your oil level? The reason I ask, is cause on the SE5's, the system uses the engine oil for the transmission as well, and I know on our 2010 RT-S with the SE5, if we were low on oil, it would cause similar issues as your reporting here. If you haven't checked it in a while, would be a good idea to do so, and make sure you do it by the process outlined in the Owners Manual, with your engine warmed up, like after a nice ryde, not just starting it & letting it sit while running for a few minutes. This can cause a false reading and lead to overfilling, causing oil in the air-box.

Spyder Garage

Default Shift RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by sczimmer View Post
    As I mentioned it has happened under different conditions. Under medium throttle the RPM shift point was between 4200 and 4500. In the gentle throttle it was around 3500. I did not back off the throttle when shifting. I'm not losing traction, the engine goes almost completely flat. RPM drops drastically, then immediately comes back.
    I don't know enough to say that this is causing your problem, but I think you are shifting at way to low RPM. I hope someone more knowledge than I will confirm this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

you may be shifting at a low rpm's and oil level may be off. Your clutch at 3,500 is just clamping down good so I would check your oil level and try shifting close to 5-51/2K...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Combination of low rpm and oil pressure and throttle rollback. Hopefully after your oil change the issue will be gone. Good luck and let us know.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod