Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish I could get out over the snow bank... But honestly, living a mile in on a dirt road really makes it difficult to venture out after December and until April or May around here. Salt is on the roads until we get plenty of spring rain so it stays parked for at least four months...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yea. I John Wayne it in my Focus/snow tires with the heat turned up. Oh! Wait........................you said on my Spyder. Surely you jest.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cold doesn't bother us we just dress for it with the suit from Bajaron or snowmobile pants and layering. We have ridden in the low teens before and have been comfortable even on long rides of over 100 miles. We have ridden on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day and a lot of days in between, if there has been sufficient rain to wash away any salt residue.

My concern is salt even if the road is dry, if there is salt residue on the road you can see dust from the salt flying off the tires and I believe it will get in where the computer "stuff" is and wire connections. Then if you ride on wet roads later on the dry dust turns into a very corrosive solution that could potentially cause major costly problems. Love to ride even in cold weather if roads are salt free.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;696365]
    Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    I live in Connecticut, and I ride year round. The only thing that has kept me off the road in winter is snow and Ice. My riding motto is: "There's no such thing as bad riding weather, just bad riding gear." Until now, all of my cold weather riding has been on my BMW R1200RT. It's what I used to commute to work. Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking that my Spyder RT might be a better choice for running errands because of it's higher storage capacity, and the fact that when I get my 2014, I'll have the trailer too.

Are there any other Spyder cold weather riders out there? If so, I'm wondering if there are any peculiarities I should know about how to treat them when riding in the cold. Logic tells me "no different than any other motorcycle", but I thought I'd check before I do it.[/Q
    For starters if you treat the SPYDER like any other MOTORCYCLE you are going to get yourself killed. The Spyder is a defined as a Motorcycle for State and Federal purposes.....Otherwise it's a three wheeled ROADSTER.........Mike
    OH! Maybe that's why when I counter steer it turns the wrong way ?! Damn! Wish I'd figured that out on my own.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have ridden every month, road surfaces permitting. There are some hard core year-round members here. SethO and GroundEffect are possibly the hardiest. The light rear end and the traction control make riding in the slippery stuff somewhat frustrating. The VSS won't save you on a slick road, either. I'd consider some other means of transportation if the roads are slippery, and I would worry about corrosion if they are salty, but if they are dry plug in the heated gear and go.
    Makes sense. Regarding salt and corrosion, I read somewhere that the worst thing to do in winter is to put your vehicle in a warm garage. The warmth actually promotes the corrosion while "keeping it cold" will prevent it. I don't know how true that is scientifically, but in all my years of two wheeling I've kept my vehicles in a non-heated garage and haven't had a problem.

Spyder Garage

I used to ride year-round in the Seattle area when I was working.

Now, I'm strictly a fair weather rider.

Regards,

Dan

Spyder Garage

Default The Joy of Living in So. Cal.

Living in sunny So. Cal. means temperatures rarely dip below freezing so 12 mo. riding is not an issue. Back in my Midwest days I lived in Indy and would ride anytime the roads were free of snow and Ice. I used my snowmobile suit for riding with a balaclava and was never cold. Problem was if I wanted to go inside to shop or have a meal. Then I had to strip off the gear and put it back on again when I went back outside. Needless to say, moving to So. Cal. in 1986 eliminated those issues, although I still have that old snowmobile suit stored somewhere in my shed!!

Spyder Garage

Hey Greg, hey everyone!

I ride everyday, year round in Newfoundland on my RS, as it is my only source of transportation by choice for several years now.

An interview with BRP in 2011 can be found here:
    http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-deta...0-9e950103f95b

In it I talk a little about the gear I use and how I approach everyday.

Be safe through any season everyone!
    Cheers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Makes sense. Regarding salt and corrosion, I read somewhere that the worst thing to do in winter is to put your vehicle in a warm garage. The warmth actually promotes the corrosion while "keeping it cold" will prevent it. I don't know how true that is scientifically, but in all my years of two wheeling I've kept my vehicles in a non-heated garage and haven't had a problem.
    I am also curious about this; is it fact, or urban legend???

(heated garage here... and no rust issues either!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I ride year around

In the deep south of Alabama, I ride year around, from shorts and tee shirts for most of the year and cold weather gear for the short winter months(December through February), I really test out my gear and ride when I visit some other state that is not in the south.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No that's what snowmobiles are for!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm one of those year round guys. this will be my 4th year on Spyder commuter for me 60 miles round trip.
    I live in the NW Puget Sound rain is the dominant weather issue. Cold at 3:30 AM on the way to work. No Snow or ice
    I have experienced a bit of snow and the roads when slippery are a bit tense on the Spyder then again the folks on
    their Cell phones paying no attention are as well. I have an electric vest and chaps also use the Hippo Hands I do not
    have the heated grips my spyde is 2010 RS. Heavy rain on freeway do my best to avoid the tire spray from other vehicles
    Well I guess thats all I have to say about that. Keep the rubber side down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Hey Greg, hey everyone!

I ride everyday, year round in Newfoundland on my RS, as it is my only source of transportation by choice for several years now.

An interview with BRP in 2011 can be found here:
    http://spyder.brp.com/blog/post-deta...0-9e950103f95b

In it I talk a little about the gear I use and how I approach everyday.

Be safe through any season everyone!
    Cheers!

Thanks for a Very interesting (and helpful) article. I'm surprised no mention of snow tires or using winter weight oil. Do you use either of them?

Spyder Garage

I too am going to try and ride whenever the roads are clear and no bad weather in the forecast.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

My key to ryding most of the year in upstate NY is very simple, Layers. I put on my under armor, my jeans, my long-sleeve shirt, a fleece, my snowmobile bibs, and jacket. I use a "turtle-fur" balaclava and have just ordered a set of leather mittens made by "Choko". Layers will help to trap air close to your body and will keep you warm, but that is not the only reason you want them. Hypothermia can set in very quickly, especially if you sweat under your gear. As the weather gets warmer I strip layers to stay comfortable. Another thing I am thinking about adding to the equation is heated grips.

The only 2 months I haven't ridden in the last 12 were January, and February. I too worry about the salt, and I am open to suggestions on how to deal with it. I do not have a heated car wash to keep it clean.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

we live in west virginia and ride all year long...we have got caught in snow storms , rain turned into ice storms, pretty much all kinds of weather...as long as you ride smart you will be safe..just ride smart and be sure you are not riding beyond your experience levels....it is very invigorating to ride on a cold crisp morning....the coldest weather we rode in was about 10 degrees above zero...we dressed for the trip and had no problems at all..all though we did have to stop and get the ice off of the windshield until the sun dried the air ...
    gary (ô¿ô)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Spyder Garage

I ride year round in northern Virginia. I use an electric liner and gloves once the temperature hits about 30. I have yet to wear my First Gear winter suit on the spyder. I wore it on my last bike between 30 and 18 degrees. Like others have said if it is not snowing and the roads are clear I ride. Got caught in the snow once and the spyder turned white with an inch of snow. I communte 43 miles each way daily.

Spyder Garage

I live here in Western New York State (you all have heard about the snow here in Buffalo???). I do ride all winter long--but not the Spyder. Too much road salt, slush, and crazy drivers to take the beloved Spyder out of the heat, warm garage for that. Instead I have a KLR 650 (dual sport) that I do ride all winter long. I have one of the Bajaron suits, heated grips, and a helmet large enough to allow for a warm stocking cap underneath. NO--I don't ride in the middle of a snow storm--but most definitely the day after!!! LOL Hey--life's too short to stay off a cycle for 4-6 months of the year!

Spyder Garage

Nice suit Dave!

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    My concern is salt even if the road is dry, if there is salt residue on the road you can see dust from the salt flying off the tires and I believe it will get in where the computer "stuff" is and wire connections. Then if you ride on wet roads later on the dry dust turns into a very corrosive solution that could potentially cause major costly problems. Love to ride even in cold weather if roads are salt free.
    Our Local Gov't Traffic Dept's brag at how much salt they have stockpiled before the onset of winter. I HATE the stuff, my wife and I refer to it as "motorcycle dissolving fluid". There is nothing quite as effective as salt water for aging a bike before its time.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer

I have been looking at building a trailer i want to make up the framing out of aluminum have to research a spool gun for my welder do you have any ideas for this thanks Macgyver
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have ridden every month, road surfaces permitting. There are some hard core year-round members here. SethO and GroundEffect are possibly the hardiest. The light rear end and the traction control make riding in the slippery stuff somewhat frustrating. The VSS won't save you on a slick road, either. I'd consider some other means of transportation if the roads are slippery, and I would worry about corrosion if they are salty, but if they are dry plug in the heated gear and go.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold Weather Riding

I ride when it's cold but never when the street can possibly have black ice on it, meaning the I don't ride when air temp is below 36 degrees.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Dress approprietly & make sure you can see OVER your shield just in case this happens

Ipad 593.jpg thermo1-pcrainsuit.jpg Ipad 583.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When snow and ice comes to my road, I park it for the season. I have ridden in 10 above here--but that was on clear roads in early spring. Riding that cold is now an exercise in endurance for me. Back in the 60's with my first motorcycle--I was out there in MN in January at 10 below zero one time. Now THAT was cold.

For me, I have found the to be to squirrily on ice or snow. Regardless of the nanny, you are not going to be saved in a skid on ice. I have heard of a couple using studded tires. My local dealer tried it on his for a bit--but quickly parked it for the season. Others--that's up to them.

If you are out and about riding on icy roads, and in control--you can still never be sure that someone else, who is not in control, will not run into you or run you off the road. IMO--not worth putting yourself in danger if you don't have to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red