Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Phone mount for Phablet (Phone/Tablet)

I'm going on a ride with the Sacramento Road Cruisers (150 miles) Sept 1st, and the roads traveled look very picturesque. I am wanting to buy a phone mount that'll hold my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I mention the make/model of the phone because it is a Phablet (so named due to the fact that it is the size of a small tablet PC) with a 5.5 inch viewing screen. I am not sure if anyone out there has a mount for a Phablet sized phone, but i'm wanting to shoot some video as my phone has 1080P capability through an 8 megapixel lens. I figure this is a much cheaper alternative to the Go Pro3. Any advice on which mount to get? I don't want to get one to find it won't expand wide enough to accommodate my phone.

The dimensions are 5.94 x 3.17 x 0.37 inches (151 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm) and the weight is 6.42 oz (182 g).

Thanks!!!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb RAM Mount Universal X-Grip II Tablet Cradle with B-Ball RAM-HOL-UN8BU

The X-Grip will fit many devices. Please make sure your device, whether in a case or not, meets the following dimensions. If it does, it will work. If it does not meet the dimensions, it will not fit the X-Grip.

Minimum Width = 2.25" *
    Maximum Width = 5.75"
    Depth = 0.875"
    * (Devices 2.25" in width must be a minimum of 7" in height to fit)

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-un...hol-un8bu.html

OK, we had the Galaxy Note II & returned it, just not for me. Have a Sumsung Galaxy Tab II which is actually larger all the way around, and this X-Grip Ram Mount works great with it so I posted it here for you & did a little more digging. I went to the Q&A page on GPS City about the X-Grip & Copied & Pasted the above showing the deminsions it can handle, which looks like it should hold your Note II without issue.

My only worries would be of where to mount it, where you wouldn't get too much vibration for taking the pics or video while also keeping it protected from flying road debris/Etc....

Anyways, hope this helps, I know we like ours

Spyder Garage

I use this same X mount with my Galaxy Note 2 phone. I purchased the ram ball with the threaded end on it, drilled a hole in my Madstad windshield mounting plate, and screwed the ram ball into the hole. It is perfectly placed to use my phone for music and GPS, but I don't think it is high enough there to shoot video. They do make an extension that would take it up higher and then it would shoot through your windshield nicely.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have Galaxy note II and use the x grip for it and it works great. I bought a handle bar mount for my x grip I didn't want to drill a hole in my dash for it. and I love it. I ofund the hadnle bar mount either on ebay or in the brp store. I can't remember which I have had it for about 2 years.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the recommendation...

Well, looks like the X-Grip is what is already proven to work for my phone...thanks for the input
    Cincyspyder has a great point about the vibration produced by the bike itself potentially affecting the video quality. For those of you out there who are using this mount...have you taken vid/pix in motion (safely, of course), and if so, is the quality good? I'm wondering if the mount will be stable enough to counteract at least some of the vibration produced by the bike (and the road).

My plan is to use a handlebar mount and shoot vid through the windshield. I've seen some footage of one of the senior members on this forum who shot video through their windshield using a cell phone & mount...problem is, I can't remember who it was