Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyder fires

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder fires

I'm seeing several incidents of RT's catching fire and I'm beginning to worry about it. Also, I have taken my RT in just this week because of gas fumes. The repairs were made but I don't think the problem was solved. I saw the articles of gas caps being replaced. Is there any way of finding out if mine has been replaced?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
    I'm seeing several incidents of RT's catching fire and I'm beginning to worry about it. Also, I have taken my RT in just this week because of gas fumes. The repairs were made but I don't think the problem was solved. I saw the articles of gas caps being replaced. Is there any way of finding out if mine has been replaced?
    What year is your RT?
    The gas cap retrofit was a while ago now so if you have a 2013, I am sure you have it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Lately so far the Spyder fires are 1 2013 RT and 1 2013 ST as far as I Know, are there more that we have not heard about?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Lately so far the Spyder fires are 1 2013 RT and 1 2013 ST as far as I Know, are there more that we have not heard about?

Cruzr Joe
    Didn't know about the ST but there are two RT's that I know of, one on the demo tour and Ann's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Didn't know about the ST but there are two RT's that I know of, one on the demo tour and Ann's.
    MY bad ........ I thought Anns was an ST. 2 RTs so far.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 08-08-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Wonder if BRP has figured the cause yet?..
    2017 F3T , silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they have found an answer; I'd think that they'd implement it as quietly and quickly as possible...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Here's a copy of the notice Owners recieved with info & description-Hope this helps

And if I remember correctly, I'm thinking our old gaz caps had a blue ring inside, but I'm not 100% sure of that ................

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please don't let your guard down, members are posting fuel boiling coz of too much heat under the seats. Be carefull not to light up next to your .

The right conditions will cause explosions and can be fatal so please be careful.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Fumes- boiling gas etc,

I simply pulled my 2012 RTS SE5 from our barn to the house to park it in the garage while we had one to Mn for a vacation.

When we got back and opened up the garage to move things around---it smelled like gasoline pretty strongly. It hasn't been that hot here in Eastern KS this summer and the bike was NOT at operating temperature when I moved it and parked it in the garage.

I NEVER got any recall notice from BRP on my gas cap when I bought it last December so who knows.

Then this summer- YES, my wife and I took it out and rode and came back and was putting the travel cover on it and we heard boiling gas. NOT a reassuring thing for a new owner to be hearing.

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I simply pulled my 2012 RTS SE5 from our barn to the house to park it in the garage while we had one to Mn for a vacation.

When we got back and opened up the garage to move things around---it smelled like gasoline pretty strongly. It hasn't been that hot here in Eastern KS this summer and the bike was NOT at operating temperature when I moved it and parked it in the garage.

I NEVER got any recall notice from BRP on my gas cap when I bought it last December so who knows.

Then this summer- YES, my wife and I took it out and rode and came back and was putting the travel cover on it and we heard boiling gas. NOT a reassuring thing for a new owner to be hearing.

When we first bought ours in June last year, I overfilled the tank on my first fill up. for about 3 weeks after, I smelled strong gas fumes after riding. Then, they just went away. it's been over a year, and we've put almost 14,000 miles on it, and the smell hasn't come back.

I'd be curious to look at 2 machines side by side - one with the smell, and one without to see if there is anything obvious.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OK, we all know there are heat issues. My wife has the fuel smell as well. Maybe the tech guys at BRP need to jump on this to find a cure. I'm afraid to let her park in the garage after a ride for fear of a fire. I no longer have her fill up "for the next trip" before we get home.
    Everybody loves the guys in the big red trucks, but nobody wants to have to call them for a Q...

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Overfilling will cause the gas smell for sure. Even out here in the desert, the gas is super cold going in. The, things heat up and expand and get into the canister and stink for days. I know we all like to get as much gas in as possible, but that's a huge cause of the reports we read about. A canisterectomy will definitely clear up the gas smell, but then you have to firure the expanding gas is just going on the ground and that can cause other issues.

Gas mileage is also much improved, when you don't end up filling the tank and the canister.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Gas cap modification difference

For the first poster. The new cap has a screw center that is a white nylon looking materiel in the middle with an orangey looking o-ring.

For ShelbyDave I don't think you would find any difference in two bikes other then the deminensionsal differences between a 2012 and 2013. Where they Stretched the engine compartment.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 08-08-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT Limited always has a strong gasoline smell if the gas tank is almost full and it is hot, or if the gas tank is less than half full and boiling when I park it in the garage. I've started putting in some gas before I get home to stop the boiling, then I leave it in the driveway for a half hour before parking in the garage. This helps keep the garage from smelling like a gas tank . . . but I wonder how much fuel is lost through the process, as it boils away. I also wonder if this is normal. I am curious why BRP doesn't insulate the gas tank from the git-go.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    My 2013 RT Limited always has a strong gasoline smell if the gas tank is almost full and it is hot, or if the gas tank is less than half full and boiling when I park it in the garage. I've started putting in some gas before I get home to stop the boiling, then I leave it in the driveway for a half hour before parking in the garage. This helps keep the garage from smelling like a gas tank . . . but I wonder how much fuel is lost through the process, as it boils away. I also wonder if this is normal. I am curious why BRP doesn't insulate the gas tank from the git-go.
    I would be concerned about fires if my name was HAYFIELD.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thats a good one, Joe

Life is Great - Be Safe
    ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

The wiring for 2013 trailer modular is located under seat . 2012 it was by left rear . 2013 modular gets hot and stops working correctly. They also changed to a 4 pin plug for trailer . Previous years it was easy to wire am OEM trailer . The battery is also moved.You are correct about gas cap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cindi, don't be freaked out two incidents does not equal several. My 2013 Spyder burned and a 2013 demo bike burned. If you have a 2013 it was most likely shipped with the new cap. If you have an older year you should contact your dealer and have them make sure that you and your Spyder are registered with BRP so you will receive any notifications, etc. from BRP.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

What repairs were made concerning gas fumes, may I ask?

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

From the Owner's Notice" about the fuel cap:
    "What is the potential problem?
    The fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire."
    Well, DUH! And what about all those gas fumes when I get home from a ride and park my 2013 RT Limited that I bought in June . . . well after the gas cap issue was supposedly resolved? I have to leave it outside until it cools, or the gasoline smell in the garage is overwhelming . . . are they not dangerous fumes? BRP . . . there is a dangerous issue here, you have to know about it . . . we aren't keeping it secret. If someone burns up with their Spyder, you may end up in extremely expensive litigation. Wouldn't it be easier to get these 2013s examined, thoroughly, by your dealer network, to try to detrmine the issue and resolve it? Just saying.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    From the Owner's Notice" about the fuel cap:
    "What is the potential problem?
    The fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck. Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire."
    Well, DUH! And what about all those gas fumes when I get home from a ride and park my 2013 RT Limited that I bought in June . . . well after the gas cap issue was supposedly resolved? I have to leave it outside until it cools, or the gasoline smell in the garage is overwhelming . . . are they not dangerous fumes? BRP . . . there is a dangerous issue here, you have to know about it . . . we aren't keeping it secret. If someone burns up with their Spyder, you may end up in extremely expensive litigation. Wouldn't it be easier to get these 2013s examined, thoroughly, by your dealer network, to try to detrmine the issue and resolve it? Just saying.
    Not just the 2013's My wife has an 11 that I cant park in the garage after a trip of any length.
    Think about it, Gas fumes are heavier than air. Garage fills with fumes, older home with water heater mounted low to the ground, and BOOM. A very bad day no matter how you look at it. BRP needs to figure this out, hopefully sooner than later..

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Overfilling will cause the gas smell for sure. Even out here in the desert, the gas is super cold going in. The, things heat up and expand and get into the canister and stink for days. I know we all like to get as much gas in as possible, but that's a huge cause of the reports we read about. A canisterectomy will definitely clear up the gas smell, but then you have to firure the expanding gas is just going on the ground and that can cause other issues.

Gas mileage is also much improved, when you don't end up filling the tank and the canister.
    That just doesn't sound like a good thing to do. If even after that yours went up in flames and they found you messed with the fuel system, you may get a refusal to pay for damages by your insurance company. Am I wrong with this concern?
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    That just doesn't sound like a good thing to do. If even after that yours went up in flames and they found you messed with the fuel system, you may get a refusal to pay for damages by your insurance company. Am I wrong with this concern?
    I had a 2008 Spyder -- never did have a fire or any fuel issues. But there were a LOT of Spyder fires reported. One 'fix' was to change how fuel was vented - from under the seat to a location under the bike (mine was changed to vent near the right front tire). Lamont even has a video covering this change. There was a Spyder that caught fire (08 - 09??? don't know) and was at my dealer (Longview, TX). While I'm not a fire detective, sure looked like it started in the area under the seat where all the fuel hoses, canister, valve etc is located. Lady rider had stopped at a Dairy Queen (if memory serves me) - got off her Spyder and started walking to the store. Someone called out 'fire' - turned around and it was on fire. Fire put out fairly fast. I don't know if this 'canister' fix is a valid one for 2010-2013 models or not. If memory serves me, the entire canister setup had to do with CA emmision standards -- wonder if Spyders sold outside the US have a different fuel venting system? -I'd be interested in what others might think? Ride safe. Don

Add comment|: My 2010 has no known fuel problems - no odor, no boiling fuel. Also no excessive heat. Guess I'm lucky??
    Last edited by Don in E Texas; 08-09-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add comment
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Anyone have a suggestion on where to mount a fire Extinguisher? Just saying!