Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default anyone tow a seadoo with their spyder?

I've never towed anything behind any kind of vehicle. I am thinking about getting a seadoo and wondering if I can pull it behind my Spyder?

Anyone done this?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOWING

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post
    I've never towed anything behind any kind of vehicle. I am thinking about getting a seadoo and wondering if I can pull it behind my Spyder?

Anyone done this?
    Even the smallest / lightest Seadoo or something similar would be beyond the tow capability of the SPYDER.....Although I think ( my own opinion ) it has the power and frame strength to do it......(we are talking rolling weight ) The real PROBLEM as I see it is STOPPING. I think that would be very touchy, for many reasons. Don't forget your only traction nearest the hitch is ONE tire not two like a car or truck.....so the possibility of JACK-KNIFING , I think is greater......PS I made my own Trailer hitch and actually pulled my toyt ECHO a short distance to see if the Spyder could .....It can ...

Spyder Garage

Towing capacity of the Spyder is limited to 400 pounds, with 40 pounds maximum tongue weight.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...So unless the fill the watercraft's fuel tank with helium; it's gonna bust the scale on you! Sorry!
    Now... Canoes and Kayaks are another matter...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default TOWING

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...So unless the fill the watercraft's fuel tank with helium; it's gonna bust the scale on you! Sorry!
    Now... Canoes and Kayaks are another matter...
    I don't think so on this either ......The weight of the trailer alone might put you over the limit......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know... and the helium wouldn't affect the momentum of that rig, once it got to moving anyway!
    But at least you could take some deep hits off of the tank and talk like fools while wating for the emergancy vehicles to arrive at the accident scene!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post

Anyone done this?
    I had a seadoo RXT and at low speeds behind my 4wd ATV it would shove that thing around pretty good. It was on a single place trailer and I would keep it in my enclosed trailer so I would pull it in and out of the trailer with my ATV. I had to be locked in 4wd to pull it in and backing out out, it took front and rear brakes to keep from getting drug out backwards by the seadoo. You take that kind of weight and put it behind your spyder you'll be in big trouble when you hit the brakes. Let alone this being your first towing experience There's no way you'd be able to launch and pull your seadoo out with the spyder when you got to the lake anyway
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I tried but as soon as the motor on the Spyder was under the water the damn thing stalled.
    You have to hit the water faster Roger
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Can you put a trailer hitch on a Lotus??

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I tried but as soon as the motor on the Spyder was under the water the damn thing stalled.

Spyder Garage

Rattigan Roger and ARCTIC, you 2 aren't right - but I like that in a person!!! Bob, saw the other day that the original Lotus from the movie was up for auction. It had been sitting in a shipping container for a # of years and a couple bought it in a blind auction not knowing it was inside. Here's how the article is listed on the net: James Bond Lotus Esprit submarine car headed to auction [w/video]. Say it will be coming up for auction sometime in September.
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw that too...
    I prefer an open sky above me when I'm fishin'...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Never say Never.Teddy did a little search'n & while it may not be exactly what u seek

2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet Description

The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet weighs 291 pounds and is 26 inches tall and 26.80 inches wide. It is 7.35 feet long. It has a kill switch / tether cord and is skid resistant. It can hit a maximum of 46 mph and accelerates very slowly. The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet has a finger throttle. It has handlepole steering and tilt steering. It has 54.50 kilowatts horsepower (kw) and an in-line engine and is a stand-up jet ski. It 2 2-cylinder engine and has a 2-stroke engine and a water cooling system. The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet has a reed valve valve configuration, a 701 cc engine and a compression ratio of 7.20:1.

So if the trailer was only a hundred pounds or less, it could be doable .....

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw that too...
    I prefer an open sky above me when I'm fishin'...
    Did you know right after WW 2 ,The new Japanese navy equipped all their ships with glass bottoms;

This way they could see the Old Japanese Navy....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    So if the trailer was only a hundred pounds or less, it could be doable .....
    Dave, You're right; nobody has asked just which personal watercraft we're talking about...

"See the old Japanese Navy..."

Spyder Garage

Aaaaahhhhhh. A much more cogent, and existentialist question is; has anyone ever towed their Spyder with a Seadoo? If they have; they've got my respect!
    Last edited by Flanker; 08-09-2013 at 06:58 AM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Yeah this is the Mother of All Bad ideas! Can you even imagine trying to launch or retrieve the SeaDoo on a boat ramp with a Spyder?

If anybody wants to try it please be sure to have a friend take video... you'll be a YouTube sensation overnight!

ps. I also own a 2006 SeaDoo RXT, love it... friends upon learning I was buying a Spyder immediately asked if I was going to use it to pull the SeaDoo to the lake with. I was like, "Uhhh, no I don't think so!".

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default Towing 400 LBS.

Does anyone have information on trailers that can be towed behind our Roadsters that have either Electric or Hydraulic breaking systems?
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that braking systems for the towed trailer was ever given much thought due to the low limit on the total weight...
    Somebody should give BlueKnight911 a call; he could build it!

Spyder Garage

Default TOWING SEADOO'S AND OTHER WET OBJECTS.

I don't think that braking systems for the towed trailer was ever given much thought due to the low limit on the total weight...
    Somebody should give BlueKnight911 a call; he could build it!
    Funny you should bring this up Bob, a long time ago I owned some Jet Ski's, and I had a custom DOUBLE aluminum trailer made for them.....At that time I owned a really Sweet Red Saab Turbo, But using it to launch the Jet Ski's was a Total Failure.....The engine doesn't run well with the TAIL-PIPE under water.....Soooooo.....I had a ( Hitch ) Receiver welded to the front of the frame underneith where it wasn't visible......Worked like a CHARM ....I had a lot of folks taking pictures of this at various BOAT RAMPS......Yankee Ingenuity Mike ........PS ...I could get them out of the water in record time ..also
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you ever take them out onto the highway hooked up like that??
    Going down the Mass Pike at 65 mph; you'd have had your pictures taken by everybody!

Spyder Garage

Towing a Sea-Doo is one thing, but 'retrieving' and pulling a Sea-Doo up from a slimy launch ramp is another. Not a good idea.

Spyder Garage

Not saying you can't...Just saying it would be very, very low on my list of 'possibly good ideas'. If you plan on doing so, please be VERY aware of your stopping distance increase, and acceleration time.
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Towing

MrLoney you have best idea. If you build you own trailer with an electric breaking system, you would have a hand break on your that you could use to stop the whole outfit and use the spyder breaks only sparingly. I have driven a straight 5 ton truck years ago that was pulling a trailer with a small, track front end loader. It had an electric breaks and if the pavement was wet I would use the trailer break to slow down or stop, thus avoiding jackknifing. Doug I

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Towing a Sea-Doo is one thing, but 'retrieving' and pulling a Sea-Doo up from a slimy launch ramp is another. Not a good idea.

Exactly!