Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default N00b saying hello and FOUND my RT

Update.... found my RT

Hi all…. New guy here and a for sure soon to be a Spyder owner.
    My name is Bob and I am 53. I live in Orange County Ca. Again hello everyone.

A little reference before I type my long winded post looking for opinions.
    A little over a year ago I got interested in a Spyder RT.
    When I was about 18 I bought a little Honda 90 for about nothing. Used it a little here and there but that is about the extent of my cycle experience. Additionally in my life I have known 3 people there were killed in So Cal due to negligent drivers. All three of them, a car turn left in front of them through an intersection. I also commute 35 miles each way on the 405 frwy and have witnessed many incidences. Usually with cycles splitting lanes. So while I have always wanted a motorcycle, that history just scared me too much to own one down here in my area. My Wife for 30 years also did not want me to own one for the same reasons. If I lived in a less congested area I would have probably owned one by now. Then I saw the Sypder. And while I admit it’s not going to be as safe as a car against stupid motorists, it sure adds more visibility, stability, etc.
    Thus I want one! My Wife agrees to.

Been lurking and watching the scene on and off again since about 1 year.
    Also I am not a n00b to forums and understand what is on them. Just to be clear, running many of my own forums for “technical” things, that they tend to have a lot of negative, than positive things in them. People come to forums to either socialize or GET HELP and in some cases rant! So I know they tend to look like “this product is trouble” due to the content. So I do understand this aspect of forums. But with that said I got a taste of what I have read here while shopping for one. Read below that example.
    Finally I have done my research as much as possible reading here and elsewhere. So I have some understand of some of the problems that tend to come up etc… Seems an important aspect is the dealer! I think Whittier Fun Center rates good based on what I have read?

So my biggest debate is buying new or buying used. And Wifey has put me on a budget! J
    From looking at the new 2013 RT’s, they all seem to be out of my range or just at the point of pain for the Wife. I can’t seem to get out the door at any dealer on a 2013 for less than 25K (That dealer prep, etc sure ADDS UP!). Now on the 2012’s that is a little different story. I may be able to get a 2012 RT in my Budget. I made them an offer and waiting for the manager to come back.

On the other hand I have a few good used deals in my area. In fact one that is pretty amazing!
    By the way, it does surprise the heck out of me to find 2 year old RT’s with under 3000 miles all over the place! What’s up with that? Anyway, It’s a 2012 RT Limited (Lava color with custom seat), fully loaded, and comes with the trailer! It has all of 1,700 miles on it! Warrantee is still good until Jan 2014 (6 months). He is asking $27K and I made him an offer for $24 which is the MAX my Wife would go for on this. He Emailed me back and said he would take $24K. Alarms went up for me!!! So I called him to discuss.
    Bottom line he had constant DPS errors and had service problems. E.g. into the dealer many times over and over. He said “they fixed it” and he had to escalate the issue direct to BRP to get it fixed. But when I asked him why he is now selling it so cheap, he said “Because I do not trust it anymore to take it on any kind of distance trip”.
    As you know I have read a few scenarios on this forum just like this. Again I understand the nature of forums. So my inclination is to stay away from possible lemons like this regardless. But are there really lemons or do they get fixed in the end? I mean this RT limited for $24K is almost too good to pass up!
    FYI, I called his dealer (Escondido Cycle Center) with the VIN and what’s the deal? They won’t give me any information! Why? Everything I have read here said when buying used to call a dealer with the VIN and find out the warranty service history. Maybe call a different dealer?

I also have a 2011 RT SM5 for sale about 200 miles away for a pretty good price. Well within my budget. But here we go again. A 2011 with only 450 miles on it! He is asking $18K and it also is fully loaded but it is not a Limited. He just had all the upgrades from BRP put on it. It also has left over extended warrantee till Jan 2015. Reason for sale? He said he just never got the time to ride it and that it has had its 600 mile service already. He gave me the VIN. Anyone know a dealer that will disclose service history over the phone I can call? I really want to check up on it.
    I will say I do not think I will mind having a SM5 if it turns out that way. I owned stick shift cars for years in rush hour traffic and it never bothered me. So I think for me, either way will be fine yet….. I tend to want to swing more towards the SE5. So I am second guessing this SM5. I have read quite a bit the “Pro’s and Con’s” between the two and at first I wanted manual but now tending to change my mind to have the convenience. I know… I know… it’s a person choice. But for the SE5 don’t baby it! Shift over 4000 or higher… I got it…
    But let me ask, does anyone know what the average cost to replace the clutch on the SE5?

Then there is the left over warrantee… Buying new I get 2 years. Buying used, most only have about 6 months left on them. A couple have about 1 year+ on an extended warrantee. One in my area has 7 years left on a 10 year extended!
    Opinions on this?
    Is buying used with SUCH LOW MILES with little warrantee left a consideration? The way I look at it, if it has low miles then the “bugs” may not have been worked out. And with little or no warrantee on it, could get expensive?
    Can you purchase an extended warrantee after the fact but before the stock 2 year runs out?

Anyway, I am going to buy one soon regardless… Just having some hand wringing on what to go for and some things are starting to confuse me due to my concern of possibly having to have service “to get the bugs out” and wind up paying for it all. Again having some kind of warrantee seems a plus to me but should that really be one of the larger points to look at?

Opinions welcome please… And yes I know the value of an opinion J

Thanks all,
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-13-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: title change
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Talking

" It’s a 2012 RT Limited (Lava color with custom seat), fully loaded, and comes with the trailer! It has all of 1,700 miles on it! Warrantee is still good until Jan 2014 (6 months). He is asking $27K and I made him an offer for $24 which is the MAX my Wife would go for on this. He Emailed me back and said he would take $24K. "

That's a steal. If the unit is cosmetically clean, and you have a dealer you have faith in to check it over. If purchased before the original warranty expires. You can add an additional 3 years above and beyond the two years the spyder came with. Your dealer can do the ownership transfer paper work. Then you can add the extended warranty coverage.

It all comes down to whether you're willing to be patient and allow a GOOD dealer to work out any bugs he may/or may not find.

Very few Spyders have proven to be lemons. But can't say the same for some dealers and some owners.

That's my take.

Extended Warranty info.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hid=2109080&pp=
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Jer. Find out what dealer he took it to, and check back here to see if anybody has given them a review.
    You may also want to consider a 2012, or 2011 left over. I got a flyer from BRP offering deals on brand new 2011 and 2012 stock,so it's still out there, and you can ryde out the door with the 5 year warranty.

We bought the 2012 RT A&C last year, and if I was to do it again, I would move to the S. For riding 2-up the S has the adjustable suspension that you can change on the fly... The LTD has more "luxury" items, than "functional" items IMHO...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would find a good new or used low mile 2012 RT either a Limited or S model depending on your budget or deal. The Auto clutch version is really in my opinion a big plus both for riding in traffic and for later resale as it seems to be more desirable. Also keep in mind that the manual was several thousand cheaper when new so a used 2012 RT SM for $22K is really not that much cheaper than a 2012 RT SE for $24K (really same value). Don't be put off by a problem bike like the Lava Brown one with the DPS issues. In my experience there are no problem Spyders only Problem Dealers. They are machines made by humans not magic cookies made by elves in the Black Forest, they are not inhabited by evil spirits! A good tech with the backing of a good dealership will correct and maintain your new purchase to give you thousands do trouble free miles. The real issue is to find that combination. Good luck and happy hunting! By the way I bought my second Spyder, a 2012 RT-S last September just before the '13s came out for $25K out the door so bargains are still out there new. Look at the RT-S model if you are looking to save a little money on a new left over. You can get almost the same equipment as a Limited for $2,500 less. A portable GPS only $300 and helmet como units are plentiful.

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to say I will leave the discussion of the fine points to those who are much better qualified than I.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If there's any warranty left on a Spyder, you should be able to add an additional 3 years BRP Best for about $800. Some times the negativity scares people and other times, they don't end up enjoying the ride as much as they thought, so you'll find some real low mileage machines out there, as you have already. Mine was such a machine and had 300 miles on it in two years and nothing had been done. Later, I found out the factory shock setting and subsequent washy feel scared the heck out of both the rider and passenger and they were too affraid to even ride it to the dealer. All of the issues I've had with mine were the recalls that didn't get done, but in most cases, you have to wait for it to happen to get addressed.

The SM is a good option as is the SE. I enjoy the SM, because I like the interaction and feeling that I'm actually riding. Others enjoy the missing clutch lever and wouldn't hae it any other way. As you've acknowledged, it is a personal choice. You don't have an SM option on the limited, so that makes it easy. I think I recall a clutch replacement being $900 on the SE, but drive it correctly and you won't have to address that. There's as much thinking involved with the SE as there is the SM, until you get used to them. They both become second nature after a while. If you see yourself stuck in traffic regularly though, then it's hands down the SE.

There are some blatent oversights with the Spyders, but then again, my SUV has some serious oversights and it's built by one of the biggest auto makers. There's plenty of complaints about it and scarry repairs, stealerships and incompetent techs on it's forums too, so as you well know, it's everywhere.

I always have hesitations with a too enthusiastic seller, so if you decide to go with the Limited, dig and dig deep. You can call BRP with the VIN and they can tell you about the campaigns and most likely the history. The dealer can do it too, but they would rather you bought from them and not be bothered. Good luck on which ever you decide.

Spyder Garage

Bob,

Welcome to the best place on the internet for Spyder information, solutions and a great, great bunch of folks. Everyone here is here to help and will go the extra mile to do so in many cases.

As a side question for you.....seeing your handle is "Finless" and you have other technical forums, are you Finless Bob of Helifreak fame by chance? It's a great site.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Just wanted to say I will leave the discussion of the fine points to those who are much better qualified than I.

Let us know what you decide.
    and
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Welcome Bob, my name is Gary know your area well I grew up in Garden Grove now live in Chino Hills, last year my wife bought me a 2012 Rt-limited pearl white from Corona Motorsports very happy with it, not as comfortable as my Victory Kingpin but I am adapting to it.

One reason for the seeming abundance of used low mileage 11's and 12's is that since the redesign of the frame and suspension on the 13's some people just halve to have the latest and greatest model, I rode the 13 and didn't see all that much difference just my opinion.

My wife wouldn't ride on the bike with me so I put a sidecar on it and she didn't care for that but she loves riding on the Spyder we did a 300 mile round trip last Saturday for lunch with our riding group.

Go on facebook check out Spyder Ryder of America-inland empire chapter or Los Angeles chapter for more info we ride with IE chapter the LA chapter just formed one of the LA members is in the Westminster or Huntington Beach area, we are getting ready for a trip in August to Sonora,Ca for Spyders in the Redwoods.

Wether you buy new or used is a tough question one caveat though is make sure you buy a Calif. registered bike because Calif. DMV will not register an out of state vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it, good luck with what ever you decide new or used you are going to have a ball with it.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards.

I bought an out of state used (640 miles) Spyder and went through DMV without a hassle.

All Spyder's have a Cal emission sticker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    " It’s a 2012 RT Limited (Lava color with custom seat), fully loaded, and comes with the trailer! It has all of 1,700 miles on it! Warrantee is still good until Jan 2014 (6 months). He is asking $27K and I made him an offer for $24 which is the MAX my Wife would go for on this. He Emailed me back and said he would take $24K. "

That's a steal. If the unit is cosmetically clean, and you have a dealer you have faith in to check it over. If purchased before the original warranty expires. You can add an additional 3 years above and beyond the two years the spyder came with. Your dealer can do the ownership transfer paper work. Then you can add the extended warranty coverage.

It all comes down to whether you're willing to be patient and allow a GOOD dealer to work out any bugs he may/or may not find.

Very few Spyders have proven to be lemons. But can't say the same for some dealers and some owners.

That's my take.

Extended Warranty info.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hid=2109080&pp=

I wouldn't call $24,000 a steal... but it's a decent deal. You can find brand new 2012 RT limited editions out there for around $22k maybe a bit less.. with full warranty.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I wouldn't call $24,000 a steal... but it's a decent deal. You can find brand new 2012 RT limited editions out there for around $22k maybe a bit less.. with full warranty.
    Hope he can.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    24K not a good deal even with a trailer? Any lower and you would have to steal it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdavid View Post
    Bob,

Welcome to the best place on the internet for Spyder information, solutions and a great, great bunch of folks. Everyone here is here to help and will go the extra mile to do so in many cases.

As a side question for you.....seeing your handle is "Finless" and you have other technical forums, are you Finless Bob of Helifreak fame by chance? It's a great site.
    Yes that is me! I am Finless Bob from Helifreak. You into RC Helis?
    Last edited by finless; 06-11-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks folks. I am looking seriously into the used RT Limited with trailer. But calling dealers with the VIN, it seems they do not want to help unless they can sell me something. I get answers of “Well the Spyder mech is not here right now.. Call back tomorrow, maybe he will be here”. That was Escondido Cycle Center the dealer of the owner of this Spyder.. Then I called Redondo Beach Motor Sports… and I got “No we can’t do that! It’s a privacy act”!
    Sorry WTH?

I do not know about Can-am here in CA but so far calling 3 dealers, it seems they have no idea about how to answer questions about used Can-am’s and running VINs?

I am starting to get frustrated and worried that IS THERE a dealer here in my area that can support me?.... Seems all the good dealers are in the south east?

Help…. I really want to get this RT Limited with trailer for $24K but I can’t seem to get support from any dealer I call. This has me concerned about buying used here is Socal Cali….

Bob

Spyder Garage

OK sorry….. I also had to re-read responses....

So are you folks telling me if I buy a used Spyder that has some of the 2 year original warranty left, I can actually as a 2nd owner buy the extended?

Is that something I should do? Or just being paranoid?

Jerbear, or gdjbear…..
    Is your dealer good? I think your saying they are? So far I am not imperssed with what I have around here
    Seems when you bring up Can-AM Spyders when calling… they scratch their heads and have no clue

I would like to talk to them about this used purchase and extended warrantee! I want to find a good dealer please.
    Got a name of someone to talk to that even knows what a Spyder is when you ask! That seems the response I get here in my area

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-11-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Spyder Garage

Thank you and Ted for the welcome! Yes I have read your journey stories

Seesh I think I am going to like this place......

This place reminds me of a site, long ago..... that I liked which in the beginning was not too popular and was friendly!

Me likey!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-11-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Is it a Can Am RT622 trailer? They go for $4k, I just bought a new old stock 2010 for $2,500. If so a Limited with a RT622 for $24k is a steal.

So maybe start the conversation up with the prospective dealer with Can I speak to the service manager? I'm looking for a dealer to service my Spyder but I want to know the history of the Spyder before I purchase it, I have the VIN number...

JT

Spyder Garage

Yes it is a RT622 trailer with matching paint AND trailer stand when unhooked....

He bought it at the same time in Jan 2012 as the Spyder.

I am seriously having a problem NOT BUYING THIS deal.... I want it and almost willing to toss $24K with the hope it works out!

My worry is a dealer here. I do not like when calling the 3 that I have called that the convo is "Oh a Sypder? Hold on" Then waiting on hold and talking to someone that has no clue what I am asking or talking about!

Is this common for dealers in Socal or something?

DEALER HELP WANTED!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-11-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just a long shot that someone on the Spyders to the Rescue list is near you and can recommend a dealer. Go to search by state then city to see what you can find.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Just a long shot that someone on the Spyders to the Rescue list is near you and can recommend a dealer. Go to search by state then city to see what you can find.

JT
    Thanks.... I tried that just now... NOTHING in that database in my area! La Quinta is 2 hours from me

I feel like an alien on a different planet out here is So Cal....
    I can't be the first person to come here asking for a good dealer in my area? Or am I?

Thanks!
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Thanks.... I tried that just now... NOTHING in that database in my area! La Quinta is 2 hours from me

I feel like an alien on a different planet out here is So Cal....
    I can't be the first person to come here asking for a good dealer in my area? Or am I?

Thanks!
    Bob
    My nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and it is worth the drive if they are a good dealer. I'm lucky and the service department at Midwest Sports Center is top notch.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    My nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and it is worth the drive if they are a good dealer. I'm lucky and the service department at Midwest Sports Center is top notch.

JT
    So if your in "limp at home mode" you will drive 1 & 1/2 hours to get service?

Maybe I am naive here but if I buy a vehicle for $24K, I do actually expect to not have to trailer it to get service...
    Again as I said in my original post, I understand about forums and "bad news". But I also expect a dealer at least within 1 hour to be able to service me. ESPECIALLY when I have 4 of them selling Spyders within a 30 mile range!

Maybe I am just catching them on a bad day or something? Or maybe Sypders are so new out here, those dealers have to catch up... I dunno but it has me real worried NEW PURCHASE or USED.....

I think I am going to try whittier fun center again. At least they knew what a spyder was and had some knowledge. It is a long trip for me (compared to 3 other dealers REAL CLOSE) but might be the dealer I need.

I will call them tomorrow.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From one "Bob" to another; (even though I spell my name backwards...)
    More than half of the fun is in the shopping for these things!
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black