Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CRUISE CONTROL W/TRAILER

Good morning Spyder-Lovers, I have a question and I know this is the place with answers and advice. I recently purchased a RT622 trailer, and I read in the owners manual not to use cruise control. We are headed to Eureka Springs next week, and I really like the cruise control on long rides, as my 76 year old wrist and hand get really tired if I don't use cruise. Any comments, advice, etc. appreciated.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

uh oh, Hubby and I rode 2,000 miles with a non BRP trailer and used cruise w/o problems but didn't know we shouldn't have. Waiting to hear the answer to this.

Spyder Garage

Default CRUISE CONTROL W/TRAILER

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Good morning Spyder-Lovers, I have a question and I know this is the place with answers and advice. I recently purchased a RT622 trailer, and I read in the owners manual not to use cruise control. We are headed to Eureka Springs next week, and I really like the cruise control on long rides, as my 76 year old wrist and hand get really tired if I don't use cruise. Any comments, advice, etc. appreciated.
    Hmmm. I didn't know this and have used the speed control all the time since I bought my '10 RT-S with no problems.(15k+ miles)

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control

I am not sure about the safety factor with Cruise on with a trailer... I personally would use on long flat straights and easy curves in dry conditions... But on the hills and mountains direct control would probably be best...

DEFFENENTLY DON'T USE CRUSE IN WET OR SLIPERY CONDITIONS.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Its lawyer-ease for BRP to Cover Their *sses

While this is only my personal opinion and experience and I'd NEVER suggest someone do something that is in direct conflict with a Manufacturers suggestions, as stated, be smart about it and you'll be fine

We've had the RT-622 trailer and it handles like a dream, even with cruise control. We now have a Moto-Mate camper and still have no issues with long distance road-trips and using the cruise control, but we only use it where it makes sense to do so and we've now logged a collect 50,000 miles with no ill effects.

Not everyone has 'Common' sense tho, so BRP suggests not using it to cover their which from a corporate standpoint, totally makes sense for them. Its your machine, do what's best for you.

Also, as someone else suggested for me, you may want to look into a cramp-buster as another alternative Awesome $10 mod used when needed can really help alot on those long rydes. Again, be smart about it and only use when appropriate See, now I'm covering my own ...........................

Spyder Garage

I used it all the time. I have a non-BRP trailer with 6,000 mile on the spyder with no problems. When the wife and I pack alot of stuff I use the trailer mode. If lite no.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Dave Said it Best!

Too many lawyers. Not a crack nor crevasse anywhere, or in this case, cruise control, is exempt .. How many people rode to and from the Fest, pulling a trailer and did not, at some point, use the cruise..

GUILTY HERE!!
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 05-30-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

Default I will use it

Good question and I am interested as well. If I am not mistaken, there are a few more past threads about this issue. I am a new RT owner with a 622 trailer and leaving Saturday for what will turn out to be 2500 miles or so in two weeks. I plan to use cruise control at appropriate times (level not too twisty) but also to monitor how the performs. I am no mechanic (not even inclined in that direction) but can't help but agree with others that this should be OK used with common sense.
    Mike
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant

Spyder Garage

According to the manual's wording: "It is not recommended to use the cruise control when towing a trailer". It does not say DO NOT USE... Now, that being said, I believe truck manuals tell you the same thing and explain the reasoning behind it: because of braking, it is more difficult to control speed when you are pulling extra weight thru the frame than on the frame itself.

By using the underlined wording, I believe this was a legality BRP had to include... Not that I am saying to do it, but just to consider the reasoning behind WHY you have to use cruise control while trailering...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't use it in rain or mountains which is the same thing I do in my car.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I take the "trailer mode" off once out on the road. Put it back on when nearing any town. Need the extra control of the trailer then, but not really out on the highway at higher speeds. normally don't need to slam on the brakes because some idiot pulls in front of you. The 622 is a dream to pull and doesn't phase my RT-S at all. But with what most have said. Just use common sense that usually works the best for anybody.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don't use it in rain or mountains which is the same thing I do in my car.

but I use the heck out of it out on the flats or when on terrain where RPM's are likely to stay very consistent.

If used, use it wisely. That's all.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I use cruise control about 95% of the time with and without my trailer, the only exception being heavy or stop and go traffic. I lock in as low as 18 mph in 1st and 26 mph in second and so forth. The bike will not let you lock in low enough to hurt the clutch since cruise is controlled by RPM not speed on our bikes. I do have to shift a bit in the mountains as normal so I drop a gear and hit resume and continue along my way. Using cruise for me is just one less thing to worry about. Because I use it so much with all my vehicles I never overlook that its on. Go for it! lol.

Spyder Garage

The manual states 'not recommended' and that is 'lawyer speak' for "use your cruise control for common sense driving conditions where steep hills and/or twisty curves will not cause undue strain on the power train."

Unfortunately some riders do not possess common sense.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

2011 RT SM5 pulling a non-BRP trailer and I use cruise all the time - when common sense dictates. I use it in any vehicle that has it, including the 18 wheelers I have driven. Since I don't have "trailer mode" (not even sure what it does) I just click on the cruise once I am at the speed I want to keep. I have even used it on mild hills but that is on a good road. Never, never use it in the rain.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

I have never experienced a problem doing so on the highway. You may have to supplement the cruise with a little wrist action, towing the trailer up mountain grades. Be sure to keep the rpm up so you are in the power band, and you won't have much difficulty. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I rode towing the trailer from St Louis to Melbourne, FL and used the cruise control 90% of the time with no problems.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good info. I knew I would get some good answers from you good people. Again thanks and God Bless !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    2011 RT SM5 pulling a non-BRP trailer and I use cruise all the time - when common sense dictates. I use it in any vehicle that has it, including the 18 wheelers I have driven. Since I don't have "trailer mode" (not even sure what it does) I just click on the cruise once I am at the speed I want to keep. I have even used it on mild hills but that is on a good road. Never, never use it in the rain.
    Trailer mode sets the shift points at a higher RPM for the SE5.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    I am not sure about the safety factor with Cruise on with a trailer... I personally would use on long flat straights and easy curves in dry conditions... But on the hills and mountains direct control would probably be best...

DEFFENENTLY DON'T USE CRUSE IN WET OR SLIPERY CONDITIONS.

have 49k on bike with 25k pulling RT622.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Trailer mode sets the shift points at a higher RPM for the SE5.

JT
    Thanks, JT. I just use the sound of the engine and the feeling in the seat of my pants ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    While this is only my personal opinion and experience and I'd NEVER suggest someone do something that is in direct conflict with a Manufacturers suggestions, as stated, be smart about it and you'll be fine

We've had the RT-622 trailer and it handles like a dream, even with cruise control. We now have a Moto-Mate camper and still have no issues with long distance road-trips and using the cruise control, but we only use it where it makes sense to do so and we've now logged a collect 50,000 miles with no ill effects.

Not everyone has 'Common' sense tho, so BRP suggests not using it to cover their which from a corporate standpoint, totally makes sense for them. Its your machine, do what's best for you.

Also, as someone else suggested for me, you may want to look into a cramp-buster as another alternative Awesome $10 mod used when needed can really help alot on those long rydes. Again, be smart about it and only use when appropriate See, now I'm covering my own ...........................
    Well said: IMO

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    Thanks, JT. I just use the sound of the engine and the feeling in the seat of my pants ...
    On the SE5 the nanny has to have something to do or it gets bored... it won't even talk to me like siri will. I use my ears to shift with as well.

JT

Spyder Garage

I keep the RPMs around 5K when towing up grades so If I lock the cruise on it stays precisely at the set speed with no lugging. When going down hill I lock it in at 3.5 to 4K. I let the RPM dictate the gear. On flats 4.5K feels good

Spyder Garage

Default cruise

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I keep the RPMs around 5K when towing up grades so If I lock the cruise on it stays precisely at the set speed with no lugging. When going down hill I lock it in at 3.5 to 4K. I let the RPM dictate the gear. On flats 4.5K feels good
    I just came back from 3k round trip and used cruise about 95% of the time no problems I too kept rpm's up I found out that higher rpms the happier Li'LL RED was. just my way. Plus I have a cramp buster also .My spyder is straight shift GOOD luck PETE
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red