Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another newbie here

I have owned my RT-S SM5 for 10 days now and I love it. I've owned bikes for 35 years and over the winter was thinking of updating my 2001 Honda ST1100. I was looking online at St1300, Bmw's - Sport tooring bikes. One snowy Saturday morning I woke up and thought "What about a Spyder"? I was somewhat interested in them when they first came out but up until then didn't think it was for me. So i decided to get on the net and see what I could find out.

What did I find? Spyderlovers.com! Wow! I found this to be an amazing source of information and humor too. lots of interesting, diverse, and knowledgable people. I was thinking Bob Denman was like Wilson from the TV show Home Improvement, you never saw his face but he had words of wisdom to offer every day. But then I thought that description fit Scotty and then I realized the whole site was full of Wilsons!

Armed with what I learned I decided I would purchace a Spyder RT. So I began the quest. Boy, Spyders are sure cheaper in the US than here in Canada. There is only one dealer in my province, Nova Scotia, and they had a few but the price was still a detraction. Then in March I came across this RT-S on Kijiji but it was 1000 miles away in Ontario. It was a demo with 600 miles on it. So I contacted the owner who turned out to be the owner of a BRP dealership and was currently in Florida for a few months. Did my due diligence on the dealership and found them to be reputable BRP dealer (not much info on Spyders though). So we made a deal. Saved may $ooo's.

Set a date to pick up the Spyder for May 17. I spent the next several weeks lurking on this site, watched all the training videos and read the manual, some parts multiple times. Stlii haven't ridden a Spyder though. Sent an email to the dealer to confirm the 600 mile check was complete, latest software updated and please set the front shocks to five as I will be ryding away two up. My niece decided it wouldbe fun to come withme and I couldn't say no.

So we flew to Toronto, Friday May 17, rented a car, drove 75 minutes to dealership. Spent a bit of time going over the controls, noticed the toolkit was missing so they got another and put it under the seat. Then, we dropped the rental off (conveniently next door) and headed out for our 1000 mile ride home! So now this is my first Spyder ryde. Now I can hear many of you go tsk tsk and I would agree that one should test ride and practice first but sometimes I am stubborn abd sometimes stupid and sometimes both.

Anyway we had a flawless 2.5 day 1000 mile ryde home, still smiling. Oh, the only issue was I thought the handling was squirrly at times and my niece was feeling at times that she was "drifting" so at the first night's stop I remembered to check the shocks, oh-oh, set to 3. Dug out tool kit and no tool for the shocks. I remember seeing it and think i lost it when adjusting the passenger footrests. Now the smart thing would have been to get something to adjust them but then i was afraid to without a jack so we just carried on. Just reduced speed appropriately in turns. Adjusted shocks when I got home, but not easy without the tool. Going to order BajaRons anti-swaybar for sure.
    There are not very many Spyders around here, saw one this month, so it draws lots of attention.

So I just want to say a big thank you to Lamont for starting the site and to all of you who provide such great advice, and yes I read problem or negative posts and I considered that information carefully as well. Oops sorry for the long post

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

and

Nice first ride

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default Another newbie here

Congrats and Welcome..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

AND get on and ryde 1000 miles!!!!!

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Only one dealer up your way, huh? You'll have to chime in and let us know how they are, particularly in the turnaround department.

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking a ride up that way to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland one of these years, but I'd love the safety of knowing there's a responsive dealer in the area in the event of trouble (or even just handling those mid-trip oil changes).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new machine! And to the Spyderverse!

BTW, Bob Denman's face isn't too bad!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And on your new .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations and welcome to the spyderhood. (or web)

Spyder Garage

1000 miles on your first ride on the Spyder Impressive !! Sounds like you done your homework well and know what you are doing. Congrats on the Spyder and You're sure to enjoy it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Set the shocks to #5 and Rons Sway Bar and your in Heaven!!!!!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Your First Ryde

Welcome aboard !!

Congratulations on your Great Purchase and hope you have many wonderful trouble free miles with it.

My real first Ryde is a little longer than yours, Check my name and history for MrLooney in Oregon Bound... some 5,000 miles in snow, ice, wind, rain, sunshine, Oregon Coast storm and best of all a grin on my face from Ear to Ear !!
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome to the insanity that is Spyder ownership. Nice that you had a long trip to get the feel of the Spyder. I am a displaced Bluenoser and have it on my Bucket list to ryde back for a family visit. Enjoy the Spyder and be prepared for the extra time it takes to fuel up as it attracts people like honey does bees.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sounds like a great first trip. You will love the sway bar and you may not even need to adjust the shocks to 5 with it.

I like the Wilson analogy it fits both Bob and Scotty to a tee.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

on the new ryde. Great write up. Glad to hear you already have 1000 under your belt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

Great saga..must have been a real fun trip.If we helped we are all glad for thats what we are here for. Now to make the whole thing right..enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I will post local dealership notes when i have dealings with them in case anyone is in need of a dealer when travelling in the area.

Spyder Garage

to the "web" and on your new .

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default welcome new newbie from N.S.

Welcome to the new world of riding,I am new too only 1200 klms on my RT LTD Live in Nova Scotia too. Pick my up in Moncton only 1 hr,away.I have a rt-622 trailer good to here more spyders in nova scotia

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our World!!
    Here's my High School Graduation photo; just to end this speculation... don_knotts.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Spyder Garage

on getting your Spyder and on an incredible first ryde on it as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods