Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So glad you are OK! That had to be scary at best and possibly deadly.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default Could have been Decapitated

I echo what all the others have said!!

Glad to hear you're OK

I know first hand what all went through your mind and the actions... maybe took all of 5 seconds !!

I too had a similar experience in China where a heavier twisted multi strand string was dangling from a tree and across a road. In my case I picked it up off the road at a sharp angle from lower right side to high left side as it came across my body up past my neck and my helmet. In just seconds (2 or 3) it's sawing action left a 4" long groove in my helmet face shield before I had time to panic stop from 60 ~ 70 KMph. I felt it touch my neck but no marks left like you have.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default Could I Have Some Decapitation To Go With My Memorial Day, Please

Glad your okay ! Please report it. We have had issues similar to this on snow mobile trailers in NH as a prank, also with owners doing this to prevent ATV/snowmobiles from coming through their property. Plus we have seen people put them across the end of their driveways in NH to prevent people from turning around in their driveway. Most business except a few in our area have stopped using cables due to severe accident where a young boy died after pulling into a cabled parking lot to turn around on his bike not realizing the cable was there, not easily seen Been a lot of Injuries because of things like this I'm just glad you were able to avoid a serious injury and are ok.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I'm glad you are okay.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That could have been so much worse, glad you are OK. Might be time for a taller windshield, give you enough time to duck.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Yikes! You take the prize for scariest story of the year! So glad you're ok.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Proves a point

While it could have been fatal. Thank God it wasn't! It brought back memories living in Jacksonville FL in the early 90's. We had some juvenile DA's throwing concrete blocks off the I-295 overpass at cars and semi's. Took months to catch the creeps.

You cannot enjoy anything today without looking over your shoulder it seems like!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Could I Have Some Decapitation To Go With My Memorial Day, Please

Yikes! Glad nothing worse happened. That's pretty scary and any number of things could have made things much worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

As Joe Pesci's Lethal Weapon 2 character would have said, "OK, OK, OK"................................I called the County Sheriff this AM, and ran it by the dispatcher, who sent an officer over to get my belated tale of highway hijinks and mayhem. Besides everyone's comments about filing a report "just in case" something else happens to someone else.....................I mentally reviewed the whole thing again. Was the string really suspended from the telephone/power lines and trees on either side of the highway, or did I subconsciously put it there with my supposition it was "kite string". Can't say for sure the string was dangling down; all I saw was a 100th of a second flash of string in front of me at impact. Something else, I didn't put in my original post was after I ran my errands, I'd stopped by my daughter and son in law's, and had him take one of the pics I posted, then I came back into town stopping at "the scene" to look for a kite and the string. That was probably a couple hours after the incident.................I parked the Spyder, walked about 150 yards of the highway shoulder where the string should have been laying in the long grass I'd tossed it in. No sign of any string and no kite (I never saw a kite at any time). After the walk along, I drove the Spyder W along the highway shoulder for about a 1/4 mi and saw no sign of the string either. Anyway.........who knows where or what the string came from.........................it's on report now. One other thing I thought of.......................I'm glad I was riding the Spyder and not either of my motorcycles; I'm fairly sure I'd have "crashed and burned" if I'd been on two wheels, and engaged in the panicky twisting, grabbing, flopping, and twitching I had on the Spyder. Oh yea, one other thing......................I know "a guy" in the National Guard; he's going to "requisition" some line cutters (see picture) for me off an AH64 Apache; to attach to my Spyder and helmet top and chin, as a defense against future across the road hazards.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What I find reprehensible is the fact that no-one stopped, even to enquire as to your state of health.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation WoW! So glad your able to tell the tale

Kudos to you and your ryding ability along with all the safety features of the
    Like you said, could've been a real "Crash & Burn" story none of us would want to read about in the papers

I like your ideal about the line cutters & think that may just be a worth while mod to look into for Teds Red Sled

Spyder Garage

When I was a kid in CT angry landowners used to string up all sorts of traps to snag snowmobilers riding on their property. This was in the very early days of snowmobiling when official trials had yet to be established so as kids we used to ride on natural gas and electric service lines cut into the forest. They were in the middle of nowhere but some did pass through private lands. String was often used but one actually used a single string of barbed wire, strung neck high. My friend hit it and came extremely close to decapitation. He saw it at the last second and slammed on the brakes. He had a welt across his neck much like yours only you could see the individual points where the barbs dug in.

So you never know what people are capable of.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Could have been sooo much worse. Glad it wasn't

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I like the idea of the line cutters, but would be really happy if I could mount that minigun to my Spyder.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods