Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Back rest or new seat?

How do you know which you need, if either?

For those of you experienced riders who added a backrest or picked up a new seat, how did you know which was the right option? Well...outside of showing up to SpyderFest and riding different ones. I get pretty bad back pain riding and begin to feel it after about 30 minutes or so. I can't quite tell. if the stock RT seat is too flat or if all I need is a back rest. Now that I've put the new Anti-sway bar on and much more relaxed, I gained little comfort in my back, so it's got to be the seat or riding position. Could it be the stock peg be the cause? Any tricks to help figure out which way to go what the real cause?

I know this is a fairly open ended question, but figure someones bound to say something that I could pin point or eliminate the main cause.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I'd start by examining your posture. Are you leaning forward? back? hunched? Are your shoulders slouched forward or pressed back? Are you leaning on your arms or supporting yourself with your core and legs?

Also need to know what kind of back pain, lower, upper, neck, shoulders, any history of back issues or diagnostics yet?

And then body dimensions, height, build, inseam...

Lower back pain could be from leg position, seat padding or weight distribution or just posture from your riding position.

Gotta start somewhere
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I go on long trips I strap a Nelson Rigg tail bag to the passenger seat and I use that as a backrest. You could try something like that as a cheap way to see if a backrest is what you need. I bought a used seat with the Utopia backrest during Spyderfest but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post For what its worth, here's Teddy's experience on the subject

In our experience, any long distance rydes requires that you have multiple positions to place your feet, thereby adjusting also your legs, ankles, and most importantly your knees. Being able to keep your lower body moving allows everything, including your back, to stay relaxed and not tense up, which can cause back pain. Teds Sled came with the Utopia Backrest and also the KewlMetal Fin Guards and we've done thousand mile trips with this combination on a stock RT seat, and its worked well for us.

Breaking it down, the Utopia runs somewhere around $250 and you can get some form of highway pegs for about the same I'm sure, so thats an investment of $500 compared to that of a custom seat, which can run between $700 and $1200. I'd suggest trying the Utopia and a form of pegs or floorboards and see how that works for you. If you still don't get the results your after, I'm sure you could easily sell them on here without taking too much of a loss and then go ahead and get a custom seat. Just our opinion and suggestion, that's all Good luck and keep us informed what you find works best for you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an STS I'm also thinking the same I know I need something but not sure yet. I will focus on my posture and try to figure it out, however I have a much longer time before I'm feeling it. My limit is 4 to 5 hours with only 5min gas stops. At 5 hours my rear and thighs are on fire, with slight back pain, a gas stop even 5 minutes does wonders to reset things and I can go again for a while. I know with time it's not gonna get better.

So I'm leaning toward more of a seat problem and need something better, before I buy a new seat I will try beads or air cushion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Osros View Post
    I have an STS I'm also thinking the same I know I need something but not sure yet. I will focus on my posture and try to figure it out, however I have a much longer time before I'm feeling it. My limit is 4 to 5 hours with only 5min gas stops. At 5 hours my rear and thighs are on fire, with slight back pain, a gas stop even 5 minutes does wonders to reset things and I can go again for a while. I know with time it's not gonna get better.

So I'm leaning toward more of a seat problem and need something better, before I buy a new seat I will try beads or air cushion.

I keep hearing the same complaint from ST owners that none of them seem to like the stock seat. For the RT the adjustable handlebars could help a lot. I rode a friend's RT last week and he had them and I liked the position a lot. I'm sure if I had them adjusted specifically for me I would love them but they do come with a pretty high price tag.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    ...I get pretty bad back pain riding and begin to feel it after about 30 minutes or so...

Thanks.
    I have been managing grade 1 (perhaps 2) Spondylolisthesis for quite a few years now so I am very aware of my posture. Still, twelve hours in the saddle last fall was a bit of a challenge. Breaks every hour and a half or so are probably what kept me on my feet for the remainder of the trip.

So, not wanting to deal with that again, I opted (at Spyderfest this year) for the Ultimate mid-rider with the back rest (I can't therefore speak to a back rest and the OEM seat.) Don't have a lot of miles on it yet but what little I do I believe the back rest in particular is one of the best investments, next to Ron's sway bar, that I've made to date. Well, okay. The Elka's were money well spent too just for a different reason.

It is useful in my case to be able to adjust the position of the back rest to suite what ever support I need on any given day which changes from one day to the next. The seating position change that the Ultimate affords helps as well. It doesn't accomplish much to sit for a few minutes on someone else's seat when long haul pain relief is your goal but I would check out as many of 'em as you can and ask lots of questions.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I keep hearing the same complaint from ST owners that none of them seem to like the stock seat. For the RT the adjustable handlebars could help a lot. I rode a friend's RT last week and he had them and I liked the position a lot. I'm sure if I had them adjusted specifically for me I would love them but they do come with a pretty high price tag.

Yeah, I compared the RS and ST stock seats and the ST is a bit better but still not great for long rides, I don't know how the RS folks put up with it.

I have to say a backrest alone would be helpful I lean back some times in the seat and feel immediately better however I lose the grip I like on the bars so have to figure that out. The highway pegs I know will also help alot.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I'd start by examining your posture. Are you leaning forward? back? hunched? Are your shoulders slouched forward or pressed back? Are you leaning on your arms or supporting yourself with your core and legs?

Also need to know what kind of back pain, lower, upper, neck, shoulders, any history of back issues or diagnostics yet?

And then body dimensions, height, build, inseam...

Lower back pain could be from leg position, seat padding or weight distribution or just posture from your riding position.

Gotta start somewhere
    I'm 5' 10", with 32" inseam and 150 pounds. I have had a history of back pain, but the Spyder aggravates my lower back fairly immediately. Up to last year, I was riding 100 miles on my pedal bike almost every Saturday and never hurt as bad as I do in 30 minutes on the RT. I feel like I'm leaning forward, but I have ape arms too, so not really stretching for the bars. I do get shoulder and neck pain too, but that usually comes way later. I think most of that was likely fighting the instability and very heavy feel of the pre-anti sway bar machine. Will know more if that's resolved this weekend.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default A different slant

when I ride I use a different technique. A lot of it I give the US Army truck drivers regulations for, a ten minute break after the first hour and 15 minutes every hour there after. A long time friend and I used that principle on all of our trips and enjoyed our rides. We were on the road by 8 AM stopped for coffee at 10, lunch at noon, break at 2 PM, coke break at 3, off the road by 5.
    That was our worst case scenario working fuel and potty breaks in at the same times. Our on the hour breaks were used for cleaning windshields, stretching, adjusting, swapping out riding gear, route reviews etc.

I think that was the main reason I never needed highway pegs, floorboards, back braces or rests. On my Spyder I admit to having changed the seat from OEM to Corbin. The OEM fabric would not let go of my jeans when I wanted to wiggle my butt in the saddle. I still don't have highway pegs, floorboards, or a backrest.

Trying to ride for hours at a time seems counter productive to me as it turns play into work. That is not why I ride, I ride to have fun, if I have to turn it into work. Then I will go back to driving for a living.

One thing about persistent backaches, a chiropractor related to me, if you get that problem adjust your handlebars, 1/8th of an inch at a time until it goes away. I did this on a GW and it does work instantly.

Spyder Garage

I was never that happy with the stock RT seat. That lumbar hump built into it made me feel like I was leaning forward from the waist. I'm 6', 210 lbs, with a 32" inseam. I changed out the stock for the Ultimate Reach Seat and backrest. Also added Seal floorboards. Having owned the Spyder for only a month and the longest ride so far of just over an hour, I can tell the difference already. I now have room to move and change my position. On my Harley I would ride for about 100 to 150 miles or about 1 1/2 hours then stop for a gas/potty/rest break. Seemed to work well with two wheels so I most likely do the with the .

Spyder Garage

I will throw in a little .02 here, if that's okay.

Arthritis, bad hip, slipped disks, etc. have been an ongoing problem for me.

I have played with about everything to get comfortable.

Seats: the OEM seems to be bad, bad, bad, for most people. Too soft after about 50 miles or so. Lots of seat threads here. I have went with Corbin and Corbin backrest on my personal . My other has a BRP Comfort seat. I would recommend the Utopia backrest option with that. Other seats: no experience because I felt I did not need to go further than the Corban.

Floorboards: I have seal deluxe on mine and seal pups on the #2 . Both allow some movement of the foot position--which can help on a long ryde.

Cushions etc: I have a sheepskin/gel and an Airhawk. I use one or the other and sometimes both depending on what height adjustment I need for the day. I like Ann's idea of trying a pack behind to see if a backrest is in your future.

If you are not sure where to start, I recommend the following order: Cushions, floorboards, seats, backrest. Hopefully, you can come up with the right combination that allows you to ryde in comfort.

So far this year, I am having issues with my hip and staying comfortable for over 50 miles. We did 130 + miles this last Saturday and I had to get off the . I am hoping that its just muscles needing to be trained for another rydeing season, and that as I am able to ryde more, it will get better.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Cushions etc: I have a sheepskin/gel and an Airhawk. I use one or the other and sometimes both depending on what height adjustment I need for the day. I like Ann's idea of trying a pack behind to see if a backrest is in your future.

If you are not sure where to start, I recommend the following order: Cushions, floorboards, seats, backrest. Hopefully, you can come up with the right combination that allows you to ryde in comfort.
    I like the pack idea, but tough to try with 2up, which is how we ride mostly. Your order of things to try is at least a good starting point.

Spyder Garage

Default If you usually ride 1-up...

While the OEM seat is fine for me, I couldn't do without a backrest. Since I almost always am riding 1-up, I bought a "biker's friend" backrest system. It fits the passenger seat so well that I don't even have to bungie it down, and it also fits perfectly in the frunk it you want to provide it with security when stopped. It holds about the same amount that the BRP frunk luggage would hold. Of course, if you are always 2-up, this wouldn't interest you. In that case, do whatever makes most sense to you to get a backrest...can't see how people can go any distance at all without one, regardless of the seat.
    FYI: www.bikersfriend.com

Spyder Garage

Talking

Here's a link that will allow you to see what your body does when making subtle and not so subtle ergonomic changes to seating geometry(up, forward and back). Play with all the features and think about what you're feeling real world compared to what it(the dummy)is showing you.

Next time you ride pay very close attention to whether you get the sensation that your hips are rolled forward or aft. If you feel neither, you're probably setting in a neutral position. Which would imply - poor posture - causing your back discomfort. Meaning a backrest would be the most probable fix.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

just my 2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Listen to your body

I chose the Utopia backrest with stock seat. When first got RT my lower back would start aching but no "buttburn". In fact, after years of riding Harley's, I thought the RT stock seat was the most softest stock seat I had ever ridden on. So, the backrest allows me to settle back and relax, not having to support my self with my arms. I also have the benefit of an AirHawk seat cushion, which I already had from my 2 wheeler. So two weeks through Montana, Yellowstone, etc.. very comfortable. But listen to your butt and back and see if one or the other, or both attract your attention on a long ride.

Spyder Garage

I'm 5' 10", with 32" inseam and 150 pounds. I have had a history of back pain, but the Spyder aggravates my lower back fairly immediately. Up to last year, I was riding 100 miles on my pedal bike almost every Saturday and never hurt as bad as I do in 30 minutes on the RT. I feel like I'm leaning forward, but I have ape arms too, so not really stretching for the bars. I do get shoulder and neck pain too, but that usually comes way later. I think most of that was likely fighting the instability and very heavy feel of the pre-anti sway bar machine. Will know more if that's resolved this weekend.
    I'm guessing your arms are pretty well bent which might make you lean back a bit in which case a back rest would probably help you relax a bit.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the pack idea, but tough to try with 2up, which is how we ride mostly. Your order of things to try is at least a good starting point.
    I am shorter than you,but about the same weight and inseam..I had a 2009 GS...tried the short backrest,then the larger backrest,which helped 90%..The mod that took care of my backpain was Rivco drivers floorboards..I even had highway pegs,but the larger backrest and floorboards did the trick..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree. The more you can change your positions the better of you'll be, on any ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 5'11" and sometimes I feel that the handlebars are too far away so I can't imagine how it must be for those of you with less altitude than me. My husband has a method to see if you are sitting comfortably on your bike. He says sit on it in a relaxed position then close your eyes and extend your arms like you are reaching for the handlebars. When you open your eyes see where your hands are in relation to where the handlebars are and you will see if you are in a good riding position. For me the bars would ideally be back a few inches. So I think I'll save my pennies and someday buy the new adjustable handlebars.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Here's a link that will allow you to see what your body does when making subtle and not so subtle ergonomic changes to seating geometry(up, forward and back). Play with all the features and think about what you're feeling real world compared to what it(the dummy)is showing you.

Next time you ride pay very close attention to whether you get the sensation that your hips are rolled forward or aft. If you feel neither, you're probably setting in a neutral position. Which would imply - poor posture - causing your back discomfort. Meaning a backrest would be the most probable fix.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

just my 2c
    That's a pretty cool site to play with. Will have to figure what each value would mean to my situation and play around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I'm guessing your arms are pretty well bent which might make you lean back a bit in which case a back rest would probably help you relax a bit.
    Actually, not so much. See below

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I am 5'11" and sometimes I feel that the handlebars are too far away so I can't imagine how it must be for those of you with less altitude than me. My husband has a method to see if you are sitting comfortably on your bike. He says sit on it in a relaxed position then close your eyes and extend your arms like you are reaching for the handlebars. When you open your eyes see where your hands are in relation to where the handlebars are and you will see if you are in a good riding position. For me the bars would ideally be back a few inches. So I think I'll save my pennies and someday buy the new adjustable handlebars.
    I gave your recommendation a try and seem to keep landing about two inches short I may be able to compensate for this somewhat by trying the Rivco boards others have recommended, since they would drop my feet down roughly two inches.

It'll likely be a combination of things and glad I posted. I kept poking around at the different vendors wondering where to start and now I feel I have at least half a clue. Thanks all for your help. Wish there was a big Spyder group around me to try out a few things, but your replies really do help.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put a Utopia back rest on my stock seat because my group rode distance and back roads. It helped but my back still hurt.

I had a Russell Day Long seat with backrest custom made...seat eventually broke in so my butt felt much better....my back still hurts but I have a wrecked back anyhow.....sigh
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5