Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer for a 150+ pound Service Dog

I am new to the forums and the Can-Am I followed some folks to the new store in Springfield, Mo a few days ago.
    I am 100% disabled SC Veteran with PTSD and am when the VA said I could use a Service dog I gave away my 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. I really miss riding and am looking for away to enjoy the hobby again with my future HUGE service dog. If anyone knows some good roomy and most of all safe trailers I would be grateful for the links, I have doubts that the Can-Am Trailer will be big enough.

Thanks in advance
    Edward Henry aka Fast Eddie

Spyder Garage

There are several trailers available to transport your friend safely. Here's a couple of links that might get you started.

http://pkanq.pnhvj.servertrust.com/Articles.asp?ID=164

http://doggonemotorcycletrailers.com/

Thank you for your service!!!!

Spyder Garage

You might contact he people at USA Minitrailers. I really have enjoyed mine. They might be able to modify one of their models to meet your needs. They are really friendly! Also, they are one of the sponsors on Spyderlovers home page.
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found these trailers. I don't know anything about any of them. Maybe someone else on here will know more. Good luck in your search.

http://www.activedogs.com/product.php?id=2064

http://www.doggonemotorcycletrailers.com/

http://n-line.com/custom-dog-optimiz...iler-lid-open/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's some places to look:

Road Dog has 2 for dogs: http://www.roaddogtrailers.com/

http://www.doggonemotorcycletrailers.com/

Some company has a version with a clear bubble for the dog to look out from, but I can't remember who it is.

Here's another that could be built on a small trailer: http://poganddog.org/2012/06/mandys-back-pooch/
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 04-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome. That is one big dog. You may need another trailer for the food.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Such prompt friendly replies

thank you all for the time you took to help me I have a bit of researching to do now :-)

and Smokey says TY as well.

Spyder Garage

awsomw what kind of dog do you have
    2012 RT-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie View Post
    I am new to the forums and the Can-Am I followed some folks to the new store in Springfield, Mo a few days ago.
    I am 100% disabled SC Veteran with PTSD and am when the VA said I could use a Service dog I gave away my 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. I really miss riding and am looking for away to enjoy the hobby again with my future HUGE service dog. If anyone knows some good roomy and most of all safe trailers I would be grateful for the links, I have doubts that the Can-Am Trailer will be big enough.

Thanks in advance
    I met you while you were looking at my trailer! Glad to see you on the forums looking for information. I was for a time looking for a WAGS trailer for my 3 (now 2) dogs. I recently found out that WAGS is no longer in production, but this company says that they have another manufacturer. Check them out: http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/in...roducts_id=431
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was going to suggest a WAGS trailer but just found out that they are now out of business http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_95&produ cts_id=200

Found Bush tec
    http://www.bushtec.com/inventory/m/2...essee-1138661? they make great quality trailers and they look like your dog will have lots of room and he can see where he is going as trailer is open with a wind screen.
    Last edited by Marker; 04-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailers

Hi Fast Eddie, First of all thank you for your service. My husband and I have a Bush-Tech trailer that he tows with his 2005 Venture. One year while riding two up towing the trailer on a trip to Canada we hit a piece of granite the size of a football in the center lane of the interstate with the trailer. The rock actually broke out the spoke and part of the rim of the tire. The tire never went flat and it never caused any problem with the bike. After about a mile we were able to move to the right shoulder of the road and inspect the trailer. Needless to say when we saw what happened and still no flat tire we swear by that trailer. That was a Saturday afternoon, we changed the tire and called Bush-Tech, they overnighted a full spare to a friend of ours who was meeting us in Canada a few days later, the service was great. We also have experience with Dale at Open Road Outfitters. Before we bought the Bush Tech trailer we rented a trailer from Dale at Open Road Outfitters to see if pulling a trailer was right for us. Dale had a great deal going then, if you rented a trailer for ten days he would give you the trailer hitch for free and install it. He has a lot of experience with trailers and can give you all kinds of helpful advice. Vickie

Spyder Garage

Default cincyspyder can help

I was talking to Dave (cincyspyder) the other day and he saw a great one for a big dog on consignment at a place near the springfield area. Apparently the owners dog died and he wants to get rid of the trailer, a bit pricy at around 3K but the pictures looked worth it.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie View Post

Thanks in advance
    I built my trailer and I think if you look at my profile you can see mine. I can build that trailer for around 1300. You would then neet to paint the frame and put the right lighting plug on to match your bike. Let me know if you are interested.

James

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post This is the one you referenced. Dealer said on consignment, you could make an offer

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    I was talking to Dave (cincyspyder) the other day and he saw a great one for a big dog on consignment at a place near the springfield area. Apparently the owners dog died and he wants to get rid of the trailer, a bit pricy at around 3K but the pictures looked worth it.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post

Teddy looks like he's in doggy heaven. He need's some fake grass. What's the carbon monoxide buildup in these things? Is that vent sufficient? Its right behind the exhaust and sometimes I get affixiated ryding behind a bike, especially one that has 2 bros or similar pipe.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation If I may add a word of caution here

Please keep in mind, ALL of our Spyders hitch's are FRAME MOUNTED regardless of model and therefore, there is no suspension provided from the bike to whatever trailer your towing That's the main reason BRP designed their RT-622 trailer with such great suspension that it has, as you rarely notice its ever back there

For this reason, if you intend on towing a trailer with your beloved pet in it, PLEASE do yourself and your pet a favor & make sure that what ever trailer you decide on has its own suspension, and a good suspension at that Your pet will thank you

We have a Moto-Mate Camper that we tow and camp with on a regular basis, but rarely do I ever put Teddy in it while traveling unless the weather conditions are just too harsh otherwise. It claims to have 'torsion' suspension, but looking under, it looks like the wheels are basically welded to the frame, susposedly with a little rubber boot in between. Regardless, with the frame mounted hitch, that baby can bobble like crazy over rough pavement, and I hate to think just how rattled Teddy's little brain gets while dealing with that. Luckily we've only had to do it twice while at this years SpyderFest cause of all the rain and chilly temps at night. Just thought I'd share a little lessons learned to help make your new transition a little easier and better for you and your New Best Friend. Oh, and by the way, Teddy wanted to say ....................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Teddy looks like he's in doggy heaven. He need's some fake grass. What's the carbon monoxide buildup in these things? Is that vent sufficient? Its right behind the exhaust and sometimes I get affixiated ryding behind a bike, especially one that has 2 bros or similar pipe.
    I personally know little about these, never done much research myself, as Teddy absolutely HATES being enclosed and insists on ryding in the passenger seat ONLY

But when talking with the sales guy at the dealership, he said that this particular unit has a solar power roof mounted vent that constantly circulates fresh air, along with side window screens that would seem to provide adequite air when traveling as well. I would think, at speed, exhaust fumes would disipate into the surrounding air stream, unless of course that air stream lead directly into one of the window vents Another thing to be mindful of for sure. But I've talked with a few owners that have the Wags Trailers and NONE of them have had a bad thing to say about them, besides they were a bit pricey But if you want quality, its not cheap Shame they stopped production

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I personally know little about these, never done much research myself, as Teddy absolutely HATES being enclosed and insists on ryding in the passenger seat ONLY

But when talking with the sales guy at the dealership, he said that this particular unit has a solar power roof mounted vent that constantly circulates fresh air, along with side window screens that would seem to provide adequite air when traveling as well. I would think, at speed, exhaust fumes would disipate into the surrounding air stream, unless of course that air stream lead directly into one of the window vents Another thing to be mindful of for sure. But I've talked with a few owners that have the Wags Trailers and NONE of them have had a bad thing to say about them, besides they were a bit pricey But if you want quality, its not cheap Shame they stopped production
    I left my dog home and let the grand daughter take care of her. Much cheaper. Besides, I'm afraid the wife will throw me into one of those things. Nice meeting you and Teddy at PBs by the way.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Eddie, I believe we met you at Vendor Village. The only trailer I would ever consider putting my dogs would be the Wags and I am quite sad to hear that they went out of business. The Bushtec Tow Tow and other similar style trailers would, in my opinion, not be safe or a viable option for any large dog for more than a quick trip in cool temps. They do not have actual ventilation like the Wags.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622