Spyder Garage

Default So Glad I Bought a Spyder!

I am a new rider and bought my Spyder in January. I got a great deal on a new 2012 so I bought it before getting my license. In Illinois you need a motorcycle license for a Spyder and today was day one of my safety course. It was really fun and I learned a lot. But I am 6'4" and we are learning on Honda 250's. I did great until it was time to learn to lean. I struggled some with this and even dumped the bike. My legs are just to long for the 250. I'm fine, but really am glad that I have a Spyder that does not need to lean. Now all I have to do is pass the state test and pick up my Spyder.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

AT least it is their bike and not yours.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Learning course

​Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on your size. My wife took a course she is 5' 10" barefooted and they started her on a 175 enduro bike. By noon day one she was in agony with the seat. She gutted it out for 2 days and graduated. You must have been a sight all legs folded up.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

congrats on the 2012 roadster. Hang in there you'll make it..they should let you test on the bike your going to ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

You are better than me. I also bought the spyder before I took the MSF course(month and a half before), but since I bought a se5 I saw no need for me to struggle with a clutch so I took my course on a moped. It wasn't really that comfortable but I never fell down nor did the scooter. It never stalled nor jerked into gear. Win win for all.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

I took My Spyder with me and did all the practice and the final test on it I'm 6' 4" also So I Just took my own Ryde!!!!! Kubie

Spyder Garage

welcome aboard! on the new !

Spyder Garage

Illinois requires you to do a tight weave between cones. There is no way to do that on a Spyder. I'll just gut it out.
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    Illinois requires you to do a tight weave between cones. There is no way to do that on a Spyder. I'll just gut it out.
    i'm sure they would widen the distance between cones if you show up on your spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default So Glad I Bought a Spyder!

Do you have to do the weave in a fwd gear because ryding in reverse makes for a tighter turn!? LOL

-Mike
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 04-16-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm sure I'll pass on the 250, but I can't wait to unlearn everything and rock my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

, Sounds like a pain but worth sticking with for a few days for all the fun you will have in the future.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That test is modified if you are on a Spyder. No need to worry, Illinois is very aware of the MC test and the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I'm a MSF instructor and also 6'5". Imagine how hard I have to work to perform perfect demonstrations on those little 250's. Hell, my knees almost scrape the pavement!!! LOL

Spyder Garage

Even though you will not be riding a 2 wheeler, the safety tips you learn in those courses are invaluable and may just save your life someday. I would definitely gut it out and finish it as quickly as possible so I could ryde my new Spyder as well. You are absolutely right about unlearning the riding skills, as balance and countersteering do not come into play at all on the Spyder. Best of luck with the class.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oh yes you can. Did it in '08 on my spyder. Impressed the hell out of the drivers license guy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile I'm also glad for you!

on your new ryde!

I took the MSF course on the 250s also. At the time I was aspiring to a 2-wheel motorcycling career. Now I wouldn't trade the Spyder for 2 wheels. But I am glad I learned to ride a 2-wheeler, anyway.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default I know how you feel

Just took mine in SE Wisconsin and those little 250's are difficult to ride in the class for the duration of time at those speeds. Glad I took it, I learned a lot.. In Wisconsin there is a two wheel and three wheel motorcycle license endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Finished my safety course today. I am very glad I took it and learned a lot. Just need to mass the DMV test and then it's time for the Spyder. The only thing that would worry me about testing on the Spyder is that I replaced the stock pipe with a Two Brothers. It may fail because of that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    i'm sure they would widen the distance between cones if you show up on your spyder!
    Actually in Illinois they give a different test for the Spyder and there's no weaving test.

My wife and I both took the test on our Spyders. My only tip would be, don't watch the digital speedo when they say to go a certain speed. It lags behind and you'll find yourself going way too fast.

Passed regardless

If you do take it on a Spyder they give you an M-class with a J11 restriction, 3 wheels only. So if you ever want to ride a regular bike you should take the test on 2 wheels.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Finished my safety course today. I am very glad I took it and learned a lot. Just need to mass the DMV test and then it's time for the Spyder. The only thing that would worry me about testing on the Spyder is that I replaced the stock pipe with a Two Brothers. It may fail because of that.
    The exhaust wasn't a problem when my wife and I took our tests.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

When I took the course, they had 250cc cruiser bikes, and I had been riding off road machines for so long, when I had to power walk and put my feet on the pegs,which were toward the front, I kept putting my feet up on the frame near the engine, and almost wiping out. Frustrating!