Thread: Is this normal?

Spyder Garage

Default Is this normal?

So, I finally took the bike out, since the weather in NJ is back to normal, after it was seating in the garage for couple of months. Did about 45 miles worth of riding. Tested the new sway bar, which does make a major difference. Gas'd up and then rode for a while. Came home and parked it. 30 minutes later the house stinks of gas. I checked all around the bike, but see nothing leaking. The cap, which was the new one from the recall, was on tight. I now switched it to the original cap, in case that was causing it and will check in the bit. Is that common, to experience gas smell after the first ride, after a long hibernation? Thanks in advance.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default Is this normal?

Did you over fill your tank?

Spyder Garage

Default No..!!

But I have to say the first few times after changing over to the new cap I got the gas smell. Following the advise here filling up slowly and not over filling it all went away. Don't switch back to the old cap..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have filled up many times before. Did nothing different this time around. I will switch back to the new cap now and see what happens.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But I have to say the first few times after changing over to the new cap I got the gas smell. Following the advise here filling up slowly and not over filling it all went away. Don't switch back to the old cap..!!
    The new cap seals better, so if your emissions canister does have some gas residue in it, it is more likely to give off odors with the other end of the hose (the fuel tank) now tightly sealed. If the way you fill and how far you fill has habitually flowed fuel over to the canister, the new cap could enhance the resulting odor.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    I have filled up many times before. Did nothing different this time around. I will switch back to the new cap now and see what happens.
    After a good ride (once the fuel has been heated up and sloshed around) park the spyder on a clean, dry surface. Let it set a couple of minutes, then(from behind the spyder) look just to the left and inside of the right front wheel to see if you notice a drip spot. If the canister is releasing liquid you'll know. Could be a bad or sticking purge valve. Otherwise, if it continues, check the connections at the gas tank for possible leaks. Just a few things to look for.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try not fueling up and then parking in the garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I switched back to the new fuel cap. Had the garage door opened for about 30 minutes. Now been closed for about 20 minutes and smell seems to be gone. Could be me over feeling the tank and possibly spilling. I also checked for any leaks or drips, but the floor is dry all over the spyder and underneath.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    Thanks everyone. I switched back to the new fuel cap. Had the garage door opened for about 30 minutes. Now been closed for about 20 minutes and smell seems to be gone. Could be me over feeling the tank and possibly spilling. I also checked for any leaks or drips, but the floor is dry all over the spyder and underneath.
    We're only talking a few small drips that would easily dissipate in 30 minutes. Not saying you're having the problem but would check it out next time you ride. fwiw

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jerbear. I will pay close attention after next ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Julian,
    Not uncommon and personally I wouldn't sweat it.... Mine and Joe's do the same once in awhile. However, we ditched the canisters. Never see anything dripping....ever, just notice some fuel smells once in awhile after riding (more noticeable in the heat). It's also more noticeable if you pull right into the garage after riding and close the door.
    One thing I've gotten into the habit of doing is to either leave the spyder in the driveway for awhile after a ride, or leave the garage door open.
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Hey Julian,
    Not uncommon and personally I wouldn't sweat it.... Mine and Joe's do the same once in awhile. However, we ditched the canisters. Never see anything dripping....ever, just notice some fuel smells once in awhile after riding (more noticeable in the heat). It's also more noticeable if you pull right into the garage after riding and close the door.
    One thing I've gotten into the habit of doing is to either leave the spyder in the driveway for awhile after a ride, or leave the garage door open.
    Doug
    Thanks Doug. Good idea and habit to get into; will start doing that. Good to hear from you and let's try to get together soon.

Spyder Garage

Default Click click

Make sure you turn the new cap till you hear a few clicks. It does not seal till you click it into a seal. On hot days I get the gas smell when I stop at a red light because the fuel is soo hot. It's the nature of the beast.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

I am the only one who actually threw out the old cap?
    Robert G.

Suzuki Burgman 400, Can-Am Spyder RS

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post If over-filled, it goes to the Evap Canister then to the drain tube

Spyder Garage

In addition to everything else mentioned here your fuel may very well be boiling. Unscrew the cap and listen. You'll hear it. You may also be able to observe fumes blowing out the vent hose beneath your frame. And perhaps a drop or two of fuel on the floor as the vapors condense on the end of the vent hose and fall away.

The above have been my experiences with the RT, new cap or not. This happens more often when the ambient temperature is on the hot side but not so much since I ceramic coated the exhaust last year.

I will confess that as a rookie I tried, like others, to squeeze as much fuel into the tank as I could. Not a good thing since it didn't take much of that to fill the canister. Now the nozzle goes into the tank roughly two inches. Once it shuts off I round up to the next dime (I'm anal like that anyway) and quit.

When I get home from a ride I lift the seat (I'm going to attach the battery tender anyway) and, if it's a warm day and I can tell it's going to stink, turn on the fan I have in my garage leaving the door open for a few minutes. I try not to fill up after a ride, particularly if it's hot, and then park it in the garage with a full tank.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 04-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default "Is this normal?" One opinion

When it comes right down to it, the correct answer should be "maybe!"

Some us put the BRP revision cap on and it fixed the problem. Which was the fuel boiling off odor on shutdown.

Some of us did it and it got worse!!

Then there are some of that it did not fix it or make it slightly better or worse.

BRP's response was "If you experience the fuel boiling off problem on shutdown . Leave it parked outside for 30 minutes then garage it. Personally for the price of a RTL I think they need to find a solution.. Be it heat shielding, improved air flow or rerouting the fuel lines. They probably can not duplicate the heat and humidity conditions in Canada that we get here in the lower 48.

My cure Iis a 36 inch box fan I give it from 10 to 30 minutes of fan time right down the air tunnels on hot days and don't have the smell of fuel boiling odors as a reminder of engineering gone bad or PPE!

My dealer even went so far as to install a heavy duty zipper to facilitate easier removal of the outer skin panels. It has been checked for everything from a cold to dementia.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 04-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.