Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Windows 8. I hate Microsoft

I love my new machine. Fast. Great screen.
    What the hell did they do to Windows.
    Everything is all jumbled up.
    How the hell do I install a printer.
    Where is the control panel.
    WHY oh WHY did they bother to hide it somewhere.
    To what end ??
    This is going to bite someone in the ass. It's like BlueRay.
    NOBODY is out changing their movie collections from DVD's to BlueRay just for the heck of it.
    And don't get me started o what they did to Office..........

OK, Rant Off.
    Now to return to the entertainment portion of the program.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have over 350 VHS tapes and I'm not getting rid of them. Yes I do have a boatload of DVD's but no BlueRays.

Spyder Garage

Default It's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I love my new machine. Fast. Great screen.
    What the hell did they do to Windows.
    Everything is all jumbled up.
    How the hell do I install a printer.
    Where is the control panel.
    WHY oh WHY did they bother to hide it somewhere.
    To what end ??
    This is going to bite someone in the ass. It's like BlueRay.
    NOBODY is out changing their movie collections from DVD's to BlueRay just for the heck of it.
    And don't get me started o what they did to Office..........

OK, Rant Off.
    Now to return to the entertainment portion of the program.
    dude, hit the Windows Key...that will get you to the new start menu. The Windows key is normally between the Ctrl and Alt key on the left of the keyboard. From here, you can type whatever you are looking for. In your situation, start typing "Control Panel" and viola, there it is. Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Windows 8. I hate Microsoft

Go download classic shell. Its free and you can make it look just like xp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by rabtech; 03-21-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Windows 8. I hate Microsoft

By the way. Im an IT consultant for about 50 medical facilities. I will not purchase windows 8. Im going to hold strong till we get past 8. Windows xp was fine. Windows 7 pro was ok. Windows 8 has no usefulness in business environment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    By the way. Im an IT consultant for about 50 medical facilities. I will not purchase windows 8. Im going to hold strong till we get past 8. Windows xp was fine. Windows 7 pro was ok. Windows 8 has no usefulness in business environment.

Not so hot at home, either! I went out of my way to snag an older model laptop, just to avoid Win * after its introduction. It may work on a pad, but it is horrid anywhere else. More like a novelty than an operating system.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ha!

Not intending to laugh at the OP... but more so in feeling the pain of Windows 8 with him... what a piece of junk.

I run Apple and Windows... and sometimes I feel dyslexic when doing so. One goes left, the other goes right.

To me, Windows is trying to conform more to the feel of a Mac... but boy did they do a poor job of it.

I have to admit though... now that I am getting used to it, some of the changes are growing on me, and there is beginning to be some similarity between a Mac and Windows (although there still remains a mile-wide gorge of difference between the two).

Hang in there, and just realize most of your experience is that they simply "moved your cheese", as they say.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

You'll need to pry my Windows 7 install disk from my cold dead hands .

Spyder Garage

New computer here too and I made sure to stick with Windows 7 Pro. One major problem with Windows 8 is they got rid of XP mode....so many older programs just won't run.

Only problem I'm having with Windows 7 (64 Pro) is that it randomly loses Internet connection once a day. All other networking continues to work fine, but Internet is gone. Only fix is to reboot. A royal pain. From what I've read this is a pretty common problem and a real solution has yet to be found. This is a major problem for me as I need to log in to this machine from the road in order to do my work. All other machines on my network(XP's and macs) never lose Internet.

I've heard the problem may be in how older routers deal with IPv6.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    Go download classic shell. Its free and you can make it look just like xp.

I'll try that, thanks.

[Rant/ON]
    My job is to USE the machine, not try to figure it out.
    There is absolutely NO ADDED VALUE to this crap other than keeping a bunch of people in Washington employed.
    NONE.
    [Rant/OFF]
    IBA #47122

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Teddy's NOT a Fan of Win8, that's for sure

Not a surprise with this being a Spyder forum that there are many on here that could be considered "Early Adopters" to try out the newest & greatest thing to come down the pike, so to speak. Teddy & I for example had the Fujitsu LifePad, one of the 1st convertible micro pc's on the market that also turned into a tablet, right before the 1st Gen Ipad was introduced which we also had along with the 1st Gen Galaxy Tab that we still use today.

We just tried the new HP ENVY X2, touted as being a Fully Functional Laptop with Win 8 & also a convertible Tablet PC, with a fully removable screen. Seemed just like what we've been searching for, functionality & portability all wrapped in one nice package. Well, being incased in an all aluminum chasis made it heavier than it should be, camparable with other regular laptops, but the tablet portion was larger (over 11 inches where most tablets are in the 10 inch range) and much heavier than our previous Gen1 Ipad or Gen1 Galaxy Tab for that matter. Don't get me wrong, it was one slick looking piece of machinery & we could have dealt with the physical short comings. However, one thing we couldn't deal with was this Win8 Dual Interface, what a Pain In The A!!!

Even with downloading the Classic Win Shell, it was still a pain to deal with, at least on this particular machine the way it was designed, because it was meant to be what it was and if you touched the touch-pad in the wrong area, you'd invariably end up doing something you didn't want to do. Being an 'Early Adopter' to anything, you have to understand that theirs going to be a learning curve to it, and I think most of us understand that.

But sometimes, the Newest & Greatest thing to come down the pike just isn't an improvement over what its suppose to replace. This is, of course, just our personal opinion.

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 03-22-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Apple

Apple is the way to go. I will never go back to Microsoft.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    New computer here too and I made sure to stick with Windows 7 Pro. One major problem with Windows 8 is they got rid of XP mode....so many older programs just won't run.

Only problem I'm having with Windows 7 (64 Pro) is that it randomly loses Internet connection once a day. All other networking continues to work fine, but Internet is gone. Only fix is to reboot. A royal pain. From what I've read this is a pretty common problem and a real solution has yet to be found. This is a major problem for me as I need to log in to this machine from the road in order to do my work. All other machines on my network(XP's and macs) never lose Internet.

I've heard the problem may be in how older routers deal with IPv6.
    I have an older router and neither of my two different brand Win 7 machines have ever lost the Internet. Odd problem.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    Apple is the way to go. I will never go back to Microsoft.
    So true! And Apple has gotten better with working with its MS Office apps. Best of all, NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have an older router and neither of my two different brand Win 7 machines have ever lost the Internet. Odd problem.
    Are your Windows 7 machines running 64 bit though?

That's where the problem seems to be...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    So true! And Apple has gotten better with working with its MS Office apps. Best of all, NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>

I run both Windows and Macs in my office and the Mac isn't without it's problems. I've typically found my Windows machines to be far less expensive, faster, and every bit as stable as any Mac I've owned. I work in graphics all day long and unless I want to spend $5K on a Mac, my $1,500 PC's smoke my Macs in performance. I've not seen a BSOD since the Windows NT days. XP Pro is a great OS. Windows 7 has been great too, other than my intermittent internet problem. If it wasn't for that issue I would give Windows 7 Pro/64 five stars.

Spyder Garage

I just re-built my office workstation with Windows 7 64 bit and so far no issues.
    However, I am running at IPv4 ( I feel soooooo behind...)
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Yes, both of them are 64 bit.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I run both Windows and Macs in my office and the Mac isn't without it's problems. I've typically found my Windows machines to be far less expensive, faster, and every bit as stable as any Mac I've owned. I work in graphics all day long and unless I want to spend $5K on a Mac, my $1,500 PC's smoke my Macs in performance. I've not seen a BSOD since the Windows NT days. XP Pro is a great OS. Windows 7 has been great too, other than my intermittent internet problem. If it wasn't for that issue I would give Windows 7 Pro/64 five stars.
    I was going to jump in here but sometimes my words get twisted and I come across as sounding arrogant. But I'm with you Dan, Macs and not perfect like the Mac fanboys would have you believe.
    I use a Mac at work and sometimes I want to smash it on the floor. That being said I sometimes want to do the same with my two Dells at home.

Maybe it's just possible I have an anger management problem.

Joking aside, the Mac is a fine machine but so are my PC's. I was thinking of getting a Mac for home use but the cost for a comparable system was much more than my Dell XPS. I do not live on my computer so my opinion probably differs from one that puts in a lot of time on theirs.

For what I use my PC for, mostly photography and video editing, I am liking win8.

Good, bad or indifferent, I do not have one thing in my home with the little "i" in front of it.

Now don't even get me started about smart phones.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

7 Pro here... In spite of the Internet droppage issue...
    Staying away from this 8 thing,,,
    And I just can't warm up to the IPads; I haven't figured out how to do what I want in them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All 400 of mine are and have never seen that kind of issue. We aren't running IPv6 though. Not sure why you would be either in a home system or even a small business situation.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Way to technical for me on some of this. I have Windows 7 and am very happy with it at this point. No desire to jump to new and better at this time. I have a big problem with anything technical--so most of the time I let them get the bugs worked out first.

I did jump in when it came to ,s though and had no problem with two initial entry machines.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Way to technical for me on some of this. I have Windows 7 and am very happy with it at this point. No desire to jump to new and better at this time. I have a big problem with anything technical--so most of the time I let them get the bugs worked out first.

I did jump in when it came to ,s though and had no problem with two initial entry machines.
    The problem is, I didn't upgrade the OS because I had a hankerin' to try the latest and greatest.

You CANNOT buy a retail computer that doesn't have Win 8 on it.

I'm reading a lot and what I see is that Win8 is a really good operating system. The UI is awful. I think I can run Classic Shell or Start8 and be OK.
    The specific issue is, the GEEKS love new software and get enjoyment out of figuring out all the new instructions.

I'm one of the 90% who isn't interested in all the "cool" features of the software. I just want it to work. I need to MAKE charts, not FIGURE OUT how to make them.
    IBA #47122

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The problem is, I didn't upgrade the OS because I had a hankerin' to try the latest and greatest.

You CANNOT buy a retail computer that doesn't have Win 8 on it.

My 10 year old trusty Dell XP died a painful death in December. A friend works on computers for his hobby. He ordered the parts from newegg and assembled me an awesome computer for $450.00. By doing this I told him to put WIN 7 on it NOT win 8!!!

Spyder Garage

Default AHHHHHH------------------I'm feeling MUCH better now !

Evidently, I'm not the only one.
    Finally, one of those software geeks realized that to the greater masses, the computer is not an end unto itself.
    It's a tool that is used to help create a larger result.
    Having to master Win 8 would be like working on your Spyder, only to find out you need a special tool to fix something and you have to first spend HOURS learning how to use the tool.

http://www.zdnet.com/will-90-percent...-8-7000012348/

Anyway, clearly I'm not the first person to have trouble. For an additional investment buying two programs for $9.98, POOF, the problem goes away.

http://www.zdnet.com/start8-and-mode...op-7000012471/

Start8 and ModernMix take care of the whole thing.

Given Microsofts history of absorbing add-ons (when was the last time anyone used WinZip?), I imagine the next service pack of Win8 will have these mods.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 03-23-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    IBA #47122