Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT622 question

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT622 question

We have a 6 22 on order, and I have a question. When traveling to a central destination, such as Spyderfest, do you un-hook from trailer and leave it at the motel, or keep it with the Spyder. I know I would feel safer knowing that it is behind me, as that could be a temptation to some people seeing that much money sitting there. Thanks in advance for your response.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up You can do either, the RT handles the RT-622 so well, you'll hardly notice its there

We've done it both ways, and a little discussed topic, is that having the trailer in tow, actually helps to add stability to the rear of the Spyder, especially nice in the twisties as evidenced by Lamonsters many runs with it in tow while ryding 'The Dragon'

One word of caution, if leaving it behind, I'd highly recommend using the cover and also a hitch-lock for the coupling and also the best tire-lock you can afford. Bottom line, if its sitting somewhere unattendend, and someone really wants it, its gone, but the above WILL help keep honest ppl honest, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 03-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have always left mine attached and as Dave has said, with a lock on the hitch!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Done both depending on location, if I leave it at a hotel I try and park it where it can be seen not tucked away and empty the contents into the hotel . Put a ball lock on the hitch, lock through the wheels but just like anything if some one really wants it they will take it.

Also at some events I ride around with it, you get used to having hitched and it becomes handy to have everything with you.

Make sure your insurance covers the trailer if it un hitched.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I keep a large cable and lock in the trailer and try to park it near a pole, sign or some other fixed object that it can be attached to.
    Rudy

Spyder Garage

Mine stays hitched. I like having everything with me, it's never been a problem.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tough call...
    How do you make something 100% theft-proof?
    Yet dragging everything around with you all of the time can "complicate" things also...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Parked

Mine sits on the Motel parking lot and reserves my parking place for me.

Spyder Garage

I can't add much. I do the same as above...sometimes either way. When I leave it behind I cover it, lock the hitch, and put a cable lock through the wheel(s) and tongue stand, preferably looped around a porch or light pole.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I can't add much. I do the same as above...sometimes either way. When I leave it behind I cover it, lock the hitch, and put a cable lock through the wheel(s) and tongue stand, preferably looped around a porch or light pole.
    No nasty pit bulls inside it???

Chris

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    We have a 6 22 on order, and I have a question. When traveling to a central destination, such as Spyderfest, do you un-hook from trailer and leave it at the motel, or keep it with the Spyder. I know I would feel safer knowing that it is behind me, as that could be a temptation to some people seeing that much money sitting there. Thanks in advance for your response.
    Think you'll find that the surroundings will dictate whether you're semi comfortable leaving it or not. And has been said, if you do leave it, do all you can to make yourself more comfortable for having done so. Locks, cables, chains, etc. As you know that's still no guarantee. Last year one of our members had his spyder stolen and it was locked inside a trailer parked at his motel. You should ask your insurance agent what your coverage is when attached or detached. jm2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default RT622 question

Since we carry my wife's mobility scooter in the trailer we always have it on tow.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A solid plan!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you might also want to put a wheel chock so someone doesn't bump it and send it rolling down a hill. I've never had a problem leaving mine locked up at a hotel.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    No nasty pit bulls inside it???

Chris
    I sling a lot of bull, and that joke is the pits...and that's about as close as you are gonna get.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default parkign the trailer

maybe we can talk len into some secure trailer parking lot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Unhooking trailer

When I went to SITR in 2012 I unhooked my trailer, and used a chain to lock it to a light pole. There were many others that did the same, many used ball locks, chains thru the wheels, and some chained them together. Only problem I heard of was someone had their helmet taken when he left it on his bike overnight.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You cannot be too carefull. Nothing is really 100 % safe. I don't really know what to say. Lock it, cover it, strap it, smith and wesson security?, out of site out of mind?, one of our member found their gone inside the trailer after they park in front of the hotel.. Good luck. God Bless us all.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

A determined thief will take your stuff regardless of locks etc. That said, with the others to do what you are comfortable with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the good info.. I think I will take it with me most of the time.

Harley @ Darlene Kamper

Spyder Garage

Cool

Glad to hear this. I had reached the same conclusion and had not had it confirmed. Tel now!

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    We've done it both ways, and a little discussed topic, is that having the trailer in tow, actually helps to add stability to the rear of the Spyder, especially nice in the twisties as evidenced by Lamonsters many runs with it in tow while ryding 'The Dragon'

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A determined thief will take your stuff regardless of locks etc.
    Locks tend to discourage the honest thieves; the dishonest ones will STILL try and find a way to ruin your week!

Spyder Garage

I secure my trailer to a post at the motel. I have never heard of a RT622 trailer being stolen on this forum. I have heard of bikes being stolen in Canada I believe. Like it was a common occurrence. I have insurance on the bike and the trailer.

Might also have a transponder hidden in my trailer too This can be placed and used for many different things, can hold charge for upto 10 days if you only use the demand feature. Worth checking out. for less than $140

http://reviews.cnet.com/gps-kits/gar...-34488125.html

Spyder Garage

Just this last weekend, as mentioned above...used a ball lock, covered it, and used one of these

41spi9fJklL._SY300_.jpg
    to lock it to one of the storm grates in the parking lot. Nice that it was there to save my parking spot for me too when I came back from the day's riding :-)

Also, if not already mentioned, get you some tire chocks to help hold it in place if you happen to have to park it in an inclined parking lot/space.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Think you'll find that the surroundings will dictate whether you're semi comfortable leaving it or not. And has been said, if you do leave it, do all you can to make yourself more comfortable for having done so. Locks, cables, chains, etc. As you know that's still no guarantee. Last year one of our members had his spyder stolen and it was locked inside a trailer parked at his motel. You should ask your insurance agent what your coverage is when attached or detached. jm2c
    Jer where did that happen?

Re leaving the trailer hitched up gives better stability, is this true? I've never noticed. The only thing I notice is backing up with the damn thing on. It's a pain! Never make it as a trucker.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.