Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Very discouraged

I had my son help me rearrange things in the garage, so that I could get the spyder out in the open to start some spring time maintenance on her with his help. Currently, I can't do much because of my sciatica issue. He put things in order like the snowblower, lawn mower and other things in the garage that had to be moved per my direction while I watched standing around in crutches. But 1st, I had to move the spyder out of the way so he could get this done. My son has trouble driving the spyder. He has trouble using the manual shift. I need to spend time with him on that. It's my fault, I never took time to teach him when he was younger. Anyhow, I started the spyder and let it warm up for the first time since I put it away in the fall. I carefully climbed on it trying not to pull my back in a way that would hurt me more. I shifted it into reverse to back it out of the garage and let my son continue with his duties. When I was ready to drive it back in the garage, I couldn't even pull the shifter up to put it in gear. The weekeness and numbness in my left foot from the sciatica has left me with no strength at all. I can't pull up on anything using my foot. My son had to come around and pull the shifter up by hand for me to get it in gear. This is a good reason to have an SE5.
    I'm just so discouraged. It looks like It won't be until summer, maybe June before I even have surgery. I'm having an MRI done in two weeks and will see the doctor in charge the 1st of April. On top of it all I'm faced with losing my job with all this. The first thing important is to get my health back. I've already missed out on most of my snowmobiling this past winter. I may be forced to give that up anyhow. It doesn't look good to be riding the Spyder thus far. If I can't shift it, I will need to upgrade to an SE5 for sure. I've decided that I want to keep my spyder instead of selling it. I just have to much into it to get anything out of it because of the miles I put on. I will need to spend time with my son so he can learn to shift and drive it with ease. For now though I'm worried about my future. All other material things can wait. Like I said I'm just so discouraged with everything. What do I do? Where is my future at?

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Its hard when your in the moment, but please believe Teddy & from past experience

Spyder Garage

Your future is on a spyder, with your son ryding right behind you. My father had a major snowmobile accident 3 years ago and, for a couple days, was paralyzed from the neck down. He has regained almost total function, except for the numbness in the tips of his fingers. The problem is, he has 12 fused vertebrae in his back and snowmobiling is more painful than it ever had been. I just got my spyder last August and have been workin on him ever since.
    Today I got my wish, he is going to be a spyder owner within the next 2 weeks and we are gonna get to ryde. I am so excited that he is gonna be out ryding with me. I can't wait to cruise. Your son will feel the same way, I guarantee it. He is one lucky man, to have a father who is willing to give him a spyder to ryde, and teach him how to do it.
    What seems, right now, to be the end of a life of riding is in fact the beginning of a new one. This is going to give your son the chance to ryde with you. Losing a job is a real pain in the , but you can always go get another job. There is one thing in life you cannot make more of, and that is time. Enjoy the time you have with your family, and get ready to enjoy the ryde time with your son. It is bad right now, I will not pretend it isn't. But I believe it is setting you up for something even better.
    I will be praying for you and your family.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Wow, so sorry for your troubles. Will certainly lift you in prayer.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We wish you to get well and get back to enjoy your.God Bless
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

You don't necessarily have to switch to an SE. Check this out:

http://pingelonline.com/eshifter_spyder.htm

I ran into a guy a couple years ago who had this on a SM because his legs were paralyzed. (I don't know why he didn't just buy a SE). He said this shifter worked well.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear that you're having this problem... Thoughts and prayers go out to you!
    Would a heel/toe shift lever help??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IN NEED OF AN SE-5

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-26-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Had that same weakness in my left foot years ago due to a ruptured L4 disc. My doctor didn't think surgery was warranted. I suffered for a good two years and was on crutches too. Finally, accupuncture helped with the pain. What helped the weakness was time. I still have permanent numbness in my left thigh and down the front of my lower leg. But strength has improved. I remember this being a very dark time for me. So, I know what you are going through. I can only advise you not to do anything rash while under duress. Things will improve. Nerves can recover a bit from trauma. I know so many who surgery helped. But also know some who got not relief too. Hopefully, you and your doctor can come up with the best plan for you. Wishing you all the best and pray that recovery is in your future!!
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am also praying for you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Our thoughts and continue to go with you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The old saying it's always darkest before the dawn holds true. Praying for your physical health and mental strength.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Very discouraged

Bummer for your troubles. Dealt with sciatic pain before and there's nothing quite like it--- that electric burning pain--- sure don't miss it! As someguy said, the Pingel shifter might be the perfect fit for you. I believe klicktronic also makes one that fits the Spyder. I think either one sells for around $900 new if memory serves, but I've seen them used for less. Good luck, hope you can get back up and riding soon!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

We are so sorry to hear of your suffering. I have had back /siatica problems and know a bit about it. Just work on getting over this bump in the road. There will always be time to ryde again and ryde you will. All the best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yo Adrian, I'm planning to take the RSS_SE-5 to Spyderfest but after that maybe we can work something out. I would hate to see you go without a Spyder fix for any length of time .......Mike...
    Thanks for offering Mike, but right now, I'm unable to ride regardless. The pain in my lower back and hips is too much to be in the saddle. I may have to wait for some time to be out riding again.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the support and your kind words folks! It's nice to know that the spyder riders can stick together in hard times. I do appreciate that. I hope that someday I can meet some of you that I haven't met already. I do plan to ride again. I just don't know when that will be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yo Adrian, I'm planning to take the RSS_SE-5 to Spyderfest but after that maybe we can work something out. I would hate to see you go without a Spyder fix for any length of time .......Mike...
    now that's one fine spyderlover if I've ever seen one! hats off to you mike for being such a stand-up friend!! Adrian, get well bro and keep on rydin! introducing your son to this element is maybe what was supposed to come out of this all. father and son time is short. enjoy!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Prayers for you! Hope you are riding soon!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Jockey shift

How about a piece of broomstick with an eyelet in the end? Maybe not for on the road, but as something to use in the garage. Clutch with left, put in gear with right hand. then move Spyder as needed. Sure would beat rope strung around to the shifter Something as simple as a cloth loop at the top fastened to keep the stick from flopping around.

JB

Spyder Garage

Default Attitude

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarmedic View Post
    How about a piece of broomstick with an eyelet in the end? Maybe not for on the road, but as something to use in the garage. Clutch with left, put in gear with right hand. then move Spyder as needed. Sure would beat rope strung around to the shifter Something as simple as a cloth loop at the top fastened to keep the stick from flopping around.

JB
    Make do with what ya got till ya get better. An attitude that has worked in the moment for many with similar problems. Been there done that.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Very discouraged

Prayers my friend.

Spyder Garage

Chin up matey , I had similar problems for some time a few years back , I ended up getting a magnetic bracelet , never looked back . Now recovering from a smashed pelvis , busted wrist and nerve damage to my right leg + drop foot on the same side , it's amazing what the body can heal given time and positive mental attitude , don't worry my friend you will soon look back on these pain filled times and realise how far you have moved on .
    Good luck , keep smiling .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You are in my prayers. May God bless!!

Spyder Garage

Default PHYSICAL MEDICINE

the mds I see here in Austin Tx (South Austin Family Practice) have a Physical Medicine department, run by 2 chiropractors who over see 6 0r 8 physio therapists who with a combination of directed massage electro stim ultrasound electro stim and some steroid patches have worked WONDERS on my rotator cuffs, Plantars fasciatis, hip and lower back pain to reduce the need for meds. it's all billed under regular medical codes they have CPT codes that correspond to it. But I've never seen another western medicine doctor prescribe this type of treatment. they are a family practice and apparently had a lot of sports and geriatric injuries and saw a need. Recommend you look for MDs that do or refer to Physical Medicine. Not PT that different. Just a suggestion. when I thought I needed surgery for my hip they showed it wasn't needed. Getting old sometimes hurts but it sure beats the alternatives!
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spydee8's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Praying for you!!