Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post 1st Complaint about BajaRons New Anti-Sway-Bar

I posted about this in Teddy's New Adventures Thread, but thought it important enough to post it here for the general Spyder Loving public that may not follow along with Teddy's Blog

Ok folks, yesterday it got above freezing, I think 34F to be exact, and it wasn't raining or snowing, so you know what that means........... TIME TO RYDE!!!

I went out to the garage & fired Teds Red Sled right up, plugged in Teddy's heated carrier, turned the Spyder around and pulled back in the garage head first, as opposed to our normally backing it in. This way, I could leave the Spyder running with the garage door cracked & the exhaust venting out instead of in, and give Teds heated carrier time to get warmed up while I went back inside to get Mr. Wonderful all geared up for a nice ryde.

Teddy could hear the Spyder running and was excited like a kid at Christmas time when I opened the door, jumping like a kangaroo raring to go. Got him geared up in one of his winter outfits and out to the garage we went, with Teddy leading the way.

Get him tethered into his heated carrier and put his doggles on, and off we went. I knew this had to be kind of a short ryde, as my buddy asked if I'd get his daughter off the bus, which we're always happy to do, but that only left us with about an hour to ryde, but better than nothing.

I decided to take the twisties up the hill to Devou Park, which is directly above where we live, as we're at the bottom by the river & the park is up top with Wonderful Panaramic views of the Cincinnati Skyline & Riverfront. Anyone that knows the area knows that it has one of the twistiest roads around leading up to it, which is always fun on a Spyder.

Now I have to tell you, about this new Anti-Sway-Bar from BaJaRon, I found my first complaint. Now granted, its most probably exaggerated for me personally, due to being used to ryding every single day, and now not ryding but maybe once or twice a week on "test" runs, but WOW!!! I'm coming to find that I need to actually change my ryding style.

I remember when Teddy & I were following directly behind Lamont on our ryde of The Dragon this past summer, and I was working my butt off leaning my body weight from side to side in every twist & turn trying my best to keep up with him. One time, I looked up ahead at him taking the next corner & I remember being amazed that THE MAN was sitting almost straight up with very little noticeable lean, at least from my vantage point. I knew he had the Best aftermarket suspension available, not to mention 30+ yrs of experience, but still, at the speeds we were taking these corners, I thought for sure he'd still have to be leaning more than I was at least witnessing.

You know how when we see someone else doing the same thing you are, but maybe a different or better way, and our natural inclination is to mirror their style to see if we too can do that particular activity better than what we had been doing? So yeah, I made sure their were no oncomming vehicles and I tried taking that very same corner without leaning as much as I normally would have and can you guess what happened??? Yup, I crossed over the center line about a foot & scared the cr*p out of myself, swearing to never do that again...... Lesson learned.

So, ever since then, I've just given in to the fact that, since I carry most of my weight in my upper torso, Teds Red Sled is TOP HEAVY & I have to do the side to side slide dance in the seat when aggressively taking on the twisties, which I'm fine with and have fun with it.

So now imagine my surprise, when I go to do my side to side slide dance in the twisties, but Teds Red Sled is now as flat & stable as can be, and I'm just hanging my but needlessly off the side of the seat feeling like an overcompensating fool that doesn't know how to ryde his (Teddy's) Spyder, even tho we're now on our 3rd year of ryding experience with well over 50 thousand miles. Go Figure!!!

Told ya folks, the difference this bar makes is like having an entirely different beast between your legs. Best BANG for the BUCK you can get!!!

Thank YOU Ron for an AWESOME Product

(PS.... This really isn't a complaint)
    (PSS... Dragon anyone???)

This is a pic showing our old stock Sway-Bar still in place right before the change

This pic shows the New & Improved 'Beefier" Sway-Bar from BajaRon

Teddy Tested & Teddy Approved
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

LOL! Enjoyed the writeup this early NC morn and have one question: what does the bars do comfortwise on non-twisty roads?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somehow, I just knew that the complaint...wasn't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What complaint

Now you are going to get Ron's attention.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Post From my understanding .....................

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    LOL! Enjoyed the writeup this early NC morn and have one question: what does the bars do comfortwise on non-twisty roads?
    Not a dang thing besides sit there. The rest of your suspension components take care of your comfort, the Anti-Sway-Bar helps to keep the Spyder flat and stable when torsion is inflicted upon it, like from a swerve, turn or banking motion. But we could even notice a difference when making lane changes on the highway, no more action then reaction, its now like the Spyder is one complete machine and seems as if everything happens in unison.

I'm no suspension expert & these are just my unprofessional observations, but I'm sure some of the experts will chime in & correct anything I have wrong & better explain it

Spyder Garage

Teddy sure looks like he is having a great time. Glad the sway bar is working for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I have a real complaint..!!

The sticker on the bar i received was off center...does that count as a complaint..?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if Ron's "Customer Service & Complaints" Department is at all like ours? Complaint Department.jpg

Spyder Garage

Mine came yesterday. Ordered it Monday, so already impressed with the service Now, I just need my ATV Jack to come from Harbor Freight and the weather to get a bit warmer and I am all set for the installs of the bar and few other things.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Not a dang thing besides sit there. The rest of your suspension components take care of your comfort, the Anti-Sway-Bar helps to keep the Spyder flat and stable when torsion is inflicted upon it, like from a swerve, turn or banking motion. But we could even notice a difference when making lane changes on the highway, no more action then reaction, its now like the Spyder is one complete machine and seems as if everything happens in unison.

I'm no suspension expert & these are just my unprofessional observations, but I'm sure some of the experts will chime in & correct anything I have wrong & better explain it

Thanks for the reply; its what I wanted to hear since i"m happy now with the existing ride. I'm planning on installing Lens new shock relocators as soon as I can get a pair which will likely require some adjustments of the Elka's, but that shouldn't have any effect on installing a set of Rons torsion bars. Am thinking I should do the torsion bars first.
    Look out Ron, another order on the way.

Spyder Garage

So you have to strip that much plastic off, including the frunk, in order to change out the sway bars ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    So you have to strip that much plastic off, including the frunk, in order to change out the sway bars ?
    You do not have to remove the Frunk. On the RS, Frunk removal isn't all that difficult and some choose to go that route.

It is a different story on the RT. Since it is not necessary the install is done while leaving the Frunk in place on the RT.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Installed mine today, but we are in the middle of a Blizzard. I already have 28" of snow so i will have to wait a few days to try it. I hope i have the same results as a many on this forum have posted.

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Complaint about BajaRons New Anti-Sway-Bar

What's the cost of the bars?

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Complaint about BajaRons New Anti-Sway-Bar

I think they are $160 if memory serves. And my dealer installed it on my RT in 1/2 hour, as I am not mechanically inclined....
    Can-Am Spyder RT 2011 Limited with Ultimate Seat, Lamonster Highway Pegs and Bracket, Garmin 650, Trailer Hitch and Diamondplated Trailer.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I posted about this in Teddy's New Adventures Thread, but thought it important enough to post it here for the general Spyder Loving public that may not follow along with Teddy's Blog

Ok folks, yesterday it got above freezing, I think 34F to be exact, and it wasn't raining or snowing, so you know what that means........... TIME TO RYDE!!!

I went out to the garage & fired Teds Red Sled right up, plugged in Teddy's heated carrier, turned the Spyder around and pulled back in the garage head first, as opposed to our normally backing it in. This way, I could leave the Spyder running with the garage door cracked & the exhaust venting out instead of in, and give Teds heated carrier time to get warmed up while I went back inside to get Mr. Wonderful all geared up for a nice ryde.

Teddy could hear the Spyder running and was excited like a kid at Christmas time when I opened the door, jumping like a kangaroo raring to go. Got him geared up in one of his winter outfits and out to the garage we went, with Teddy leading the way.

Get him tethered into his heated carrier and put his doggles on, and off we went. I knew this had to be kind of a short ryde, as my buddy asked if I'd get his daughter off the bus, which we're always happy to do, but that only left us with about an hour to ryde, but better than nothing.

I decided to take the twisties up the hill to Devou Park, which is directly above where we live, as we're at the bottom by the river & the park is up top with Wonderful Panaramic views of the Cincinnati Skyline & Riverfront. Anyone that knows the area knows that it has one of the twistiest roads around leading up to it, which is always fun on a Spyder.

Now I have to tell you, about this new Anti-Sway-Bar from BaJaRon, I found my first complaint. Now granted, its most probably exaggerated for me personally, due to being used to ryding every single day, and now not ryding but maybe once or twice a week on "test" runs, but WOW!!! I'm coming to find that I need to actually change my ryding style.

I remember when Teddy & I were following directly behind Lamont on our ryde of The Dragon this past summer, and I was working my butt off leaning my body weight from side to side in every twist & turn trying my best to keep up with him. One time, I looked up ahead at him taking the next corner & I remember being amazed that THE MAN was sitting almost straight up with very little noticeable lean, at least from my vantage point. I knew he had the Best aftermarket suspension available, not to mention 30+ yrs of experience, but still, at the speeds we were taking these corners, I thought for sure he'd still have to be leaning more than I was at least witnessing.

You know how when we see someone else doing the same thing you are, but maybe a different or better way, and our natural inclination is to mirror their style to see if we too can do that particular activity better than what we had been doing? So yeah, I made sure their were no oncomming vehicles and I tried taking that very same corner without leaning as much as I normally would have and can you guess what happened??? Yup, I crossed over the center line about a foot & scared the cr*p out of myself, swearing to never do that again...... Lesson learned.

So, ever since then, I've just given in to the fact that, since I carry most of my weight in my upper torso, Teds Red Sled is TOP HEAVY & I have to do the side to side slide dance in the seat when aggressively taking on the twisties, which I'm fine with and have fun with it.

So now imagine my surprise, when I go to do my side to side slide dance in the twisties, but Teds Red Sled is now as flat & stable as can be, and I'm just hanging my but needlessly off the side of the seat feeling like an overcompensating fool that doesn't know how to ryde his (Teddy's) Spyder, even tho we're now on our 3rd year of ryding experience with well over 50 thousand miles. Go Figure!!!

Told ya folks, the difference this bar makes is like having an entirely different beast between your legs. Best BANG for the BUCK you can get!!!

This is a pic showing our old stock Sway-Bar still in place right before the change

Hi Dave and Teddy,

Thanks for the update on Ron's Swaybar. I don't have one yet, but will be getting one. Teddy sure is a rock star sporting that red mohawk! LOVE IT! I cannot wait to see the two of you again.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You do not have to remove the Frunk. On the RS, Frunk removal isn't all that difficult and some choose to go that route.

It is a different story on the RT. Since it is not necessary the install is done while leaving the Frunk in place on the RT.
    Hi Ron,

That is great news that the trunk does not have to come off! My next question is if you have the bumpskid will there be a problem with that?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NitroCircus Spyder View Post
    Hi Ron,

That is great news that the trunk does not have to come off! My next question is if you have the bumpskid will there be a problem with that?
    I think most if not all that have the Bumpskid installed do remove it - It gives more room to get to the bolts
    and with the RT you have to lfit the Front Trunk out about 2-3 inches and the Bumpskid adds extra weight
    so its best to remove it - Its only a question of undoing the bolts and removing it - Once the Swaybar has been fitted
    just line up a couple of bolts of the Bumpskid and once a couple are holding it on just put in the rest of the bolts

Someone may have managed to have done the changeover with the Bumpskid in place and will give feedback on that
    method

Best of luck with the changeover - Like all of us that have been there - It's well worth it
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Registered Users Spyder lady 66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST LIMITED

I have a couple questions about the sway bar and bumpskid, have they made them for the 2013 ST LIMITED yet? I go to Bandera Rally every year and ride the hill country which has a bunch of turns and hills and am wandering if the swaybar would help? Thanks in advance for any input

Spyder Garage

Post Just to clear up a few questions posted here

1st off, as Ron stated, NO, you don't have to remove the front trunk (Frunk) to do the install of his Sway-Bar. I had ours already removed to help with accessing other mods we were doing (removing stock airbox & resonator & installing KewlMetal Air Kit) when his New Sway-Bar arrived, so what better time to install. Not to mention, made for better to see pics to post for everybody else.

2nd, about Pops BumpSkid (aka:Possom Pusher) needing to be removed to install, I'm not sure. As others stated, probably yes, it would be in the way, but its an easy removal. Ours is still sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed, but we're waiting to put Teds New & Improved Red Sled back together until after we get the valves checked, which should be next week.

3rd, concerning 2013 Spyders. Ron & Pops will need to confirm this, but seeing as the frame geometry was significantly changed for ALL 2013 models, I would be inclined to think that this present sway-bar & Bump-Skid would not be a suitable fit & that they would have to make a new one or maybe just tweak these to fit, but they'll have to chime in with confirmation.

Hope this helps,
    Dav n Ted~
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 02-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Current "RonBars" wouldn't be proper on the 2013 models.
    But you probably wouldn't even need them on the new bikes; they've improved them THAT much!
    I'd suggest a serious amount of saddle-time before tinkering with the front-end on any of the 2013s.

(Sorry Ron!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Savant70648 View Post
    What's the cost of the bars?
    RS Bars - $179 delivered to 48 US States. Shipping added for world wide destinations.
    RT Bars - $199 delivered to 48 US States. Shipping added for world wide destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroCircus Spyder View Post
    Hi Ron,

Some have done the install with the Bump Skid in place but I had to remove it when I did the install. It depends on access and most don't have a lift that will give them good access from the rear. It is not a big deal to remove the Bump Skid.

The Sway Bar itself is completely compatible with the Bump Skid installed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...