Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Who needs a trailer

Just get your wife her own Spyder and if she can't pack enough it her Spyder then you can pack it in your Spyder because you didn't need that much room anyway. And Think about how much more fun it is to have her on her own ride. and look at how much Cheaper it is (LOL) but she will love you for it. I'm sitting in the Hospital and she has gone on the Last Ride of the Year ride today, so you know today is great. I will get to go home later today. YES

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I have a Mini Trailer USA Nomad trailer on order. I saw videos of another car carrier type trailer going down the road that was bouncing pretty good. This video was on the dealers site and seeing the cover flopping around in the wind did not give much confidence that it would hold up for the long run.

Once the trailer arrives around Jan 11th I will post a thread showing how I end up connecting it to my RT. I am ready to add mods to it.
    Just got a call from Robin at Mini Trailer USA to let me know my trailer ships on Wednesday and should be here by the 4th now . Site sponsor AND American made .

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    Another site sponsor on the homepage is Bushtec. I tow one, and love it.
    I've been towing a Bushtec trailer for years. I love the fact that the tires are taller and thine IMG_1520.jpg (54.5 KB)

IMG_1461.jpg (43.5 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Default How to use other brands of trailer with RT?

Here are some photos of mine.

I love it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by btcherm View Post
    check with Harbor freight they have a trailer that will work for $400.00 my buddy has one and love it
    What is the top speed that he has driven with trailer?

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Camper/Utility trailer in one, but was only made for 2 yrs & no longer available

Teddy really likes that options that our lil Moto-Mate Camper Trailer gives us. It works well for us, but taller ppl or couples would not have enough room. Most ppl think its a Pop-Up, but there's no popping to it. I tell them, its basically a bed-on-wheels & you can see a stunned look come over their faces One nice feature tho, you take the mattress out & then the entire thing is a utility trailer with more usable storage space than most SUVs on the market today

We got lucky, as the manufacturer (Micro-Lite in Elkhart Indiana) only made this model for 2 yrs & stopped production to focus on its much larger counter part, which weighs in over 800 pounds, whereas the Moto-Mate is only 330 pounds. We got ours at the RV & Camper show in Indy back in Dec of 2010 & have taken it on 4 trips to Cuba/MO, & 2 trips to New York, 2 trips to Lamonts & we even did The Dragon with it in tow, and am proud to say, we held our own & had a blast

uploadfromtaptalk1360587832359.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360430601695.jpgSC20120912-000701.jpgSC20120912-000849.jpg2463.jpg
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 02-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default converting bushtec trailer to fit spyder rt

I am new to this sight so i,m not sure if i am asking in the right place but anyhow,i have a bushtec trailer with a heim hitch we just purchesed a spyder rt and i want to be able to pull the bushtec with the spyder,can it be done?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEIM - JOINT HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I am new to this sight so i,m not sure if i am asking in the right place but anyhow,i have a bushtec trailer with a heim hitch we just purchesed a spyder rt and i want to be able to pull the bushtec with the spyder,can it be done?
    Absolutely.....I have been trying to get people to use this type of Hitch for at least 6 years now. It is less damaging on the drivetrain of the Spyder or any motorcycle.......Because of the cost ( Bushtec's price ) I made my own using a " tie-rod end " from a Toyt Pk-up trk.....( $ 11.00 ) it does exactly the same thing as a Bustec's Heim-joint....You just need to figure out how to attach it to the Spyder trailer Hitch......I never looked closely at Bushtec's......On mine that end has a 1/2 " threaded bolt that I put through my " L " bracket on the Hitch ( it has a 1/2" hole ) and secure it with a NYLOK nut........Why other people don't do it this way baffles me.......Mike

Spyder Garage

You can buy the pin from bushtec and it will fit the hole in the hitch on the spyder. If you know somebody with a lathe it's an easy job to build one. I made mine out of marine stainless. The way the hitch mounts on the Spyder puts a lot more motion into the tongue on the trailer but other than shaking up your drinks in the cooler it's not an issue. I'm going to build a frame mount hitch for mine before the winter is over.

Spyder Garage

The wiring seems to be one of the biggest trailer problems BRP or not fyi get a independent ground to be safe. Lots of modules have failed few survivors had independent grounds. Know many trailers can work I like this one most

BRP hitch has a 40lb tongue weight restriction. Dont recommend more that that for a bike anyway. Make sure whatever you find does not piss the nanny off. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    Don't forget to look at one of this sites sponsors. I have 2 friends that have their trailers and they just love them and are very reasonably priced.

http://www.minitrailerusa.com/

Their ad is on the home page of spyderlovers.com
    That is where I got mine and I love it. I can not tell it is back there even at +80mph

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Bengaluvr, I have an Aluma Trailer for sale. The ad seems to have dropped from the 4-Sale Forum, but I'm happy to send you pics and info via email if you'd like to take a look. I live in the Sacramento area, so I'm not far from you. Send me a PM with your email address if you're interested. It will come with the BRP trailer harness modified for the 2011 RT, so it's a simple plug and go.

-Anita
    I have an Aluma trailer - pulls easily, holds a lot, great lighting, no water leakage.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Also remember that an 8" tire rotates 23% faster than a 12" tire. Be sure the bearings are properly packed and regularly repacked, and check for heat buildup at the hubs often.
    The most important part if you are towing any trailer! A lot of the lesser trailers will have cheap bearings from China. Most are bad and need to be changed to U S bearings.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Trailers

The wiring is the tricky part, we had both BRP moduels fail on our bikes and switched to a generic moduel from Uhaul, have thousands of miles over the last 2 years and no problems now. We have 3 trailers we use, one is an Aspen, then a custom dog trailer, and a harbor freight we use in the winter when we are going to just Hotel it insted of camping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I heard that if you hook up a trailer that isn't a BRP one that you will void out the warranty, has any one else heard that?

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Default Here we go again with the 8" tires...

Also, yes you can buy better bearings than those that come with the Chinese trailers, but as long as you keep them packed with good grease they will be just fine. Do a Google search and filter out the foolks that haven't actually used them properly.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...iler-questions

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...60#post1089460
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY & OTHER ANSWERS

Quote Originally Posted by justcalldon View Post
    I heard that if you hook up a trailer that isn't a BRP one that you will void out the warranty, has any one else heard that?

Justcalldon
    ......BRP, shovels this BS to scare people......in the U.S. the Moss-Magnusson Act protects you......BRP would have to PROVE that the non-BRP trailer ACTUALLY caused the damage to the warrantied part...........Sooooo if you are towing a 1000 lb trailer you are going to have a problem......if you don't exceed the PARIMETERS of the BRP trailer, BRP is going to have a really hard time proving your trailer caused it...........PS, thousands of people are towing other types of trailers.......................Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, that is what I thought but I wanted to hear it from someone else besides the dealer.

Justcalldon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only thing that will void your warranty is installing an aftermarket hitch to the RT.
    The Rt will pull any brand of trailer but you cannot exceed the 400lB weight limit that the spyder can tow

Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    The only thing that will void your warranty is installing an aftermarket hitch to the RT.
    The Rt will pull any brand of trailer but you cannot exceed the 400lB weight limit that the spyder can tow
    .....Maybe in Canada...but not in the U.S.A...Mike ........I'm talking about the Hitch...Read post #42 above for details !!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-08-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Even an aftermarket hitch OR ANY accessory can't void your warranty unless that part is directly linked to damage that it causes. If say, a 3rd party hitch didn't fit right and damaged the finish or bent the axle, then BRP wouldn't warrant that part. I have TricLED lights on my bike and if they damaged the fender or electronics, then BRP wouldn't warrant them. However, if my trunk fell off that would be unrelated to the fender lighting and they'd have to warrant that repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm building a trailer.

I just bought a '15 RT-S and put on BRP's hitch and harness. Dealer says they changed to a standard 4 wire connection that will work on any trailer's flat 4 connection. However I plan to pull a teardrop camper I am building. and expect it to push the 400# weight limit by 40 to 60 lbs. So to compensate I am incorporating 7" electric brake hubs into the trailer build. My BIG question to all here is, "Has anyone ever wired their Spyder with an electric brake controller for their trailer they pull?" this is the unit I was going to use, https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...s/HM47297.html

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I just bought a '15 RT-S and put on BRP's hitch and harness. Dealer says they changed to a standard 4 wire connection that will work on any trailer's flat 4 connection. However I plan to pull a teardrop camper I am building. and expect it to push the 400# weight limit by 40 to 60 lbs. So to compensate I am incorporating 7" electric brake hubs into the trailer build. My BIG question to all here is, "Has anyone ever wired their Spyder with an electric brake controller for their trailer they pull?" this is the unit I was going to use, https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...s/HM47297.html
    Looks interesting. One challenge you will have though is protecting the components from getting wet. They do not appear to be weather resistant at all. There are very few places on a Spyder outside of the trunks and saddlebag that don't get wet from rain, washing, or water on the road.

Does the 40 to 60 pounds over the 400 limit include the weight of the brake components? If so, you can cut down your weight by 20 to 30 lbs by not installing the brakes and be close enough to the 400 lb number to not need brakes. I think my 'tent on a trailer' setup pushes or exceeds 400 lbs and I've had no issue with braking at all. You just have to give yourself more braking time and distance.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default brake wiring

I plan on pulling this trailer all over the country in a few years when wife and I retire. Maybe even up to Alaska. So we will probably be packing heavier than most would. The brakes are a "what if" component that will give me a bit more piece of mind. That said, I really need a wiring solution. Thanks for any input and help.