Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turn signals

Spyder Garage

Default turn signals

Got home from a ride tonight and noticed that all my turn signal lights were on (front and rear) like running lights. I thought this odd so I decided to test them out. when a turn signal or hazard switch is activated the indicator on the dash flashes rapidly but the actual light just stays on. checked all the bulbs, none burnt out fuses all look good. Checked the relays they are all snug. I'm stumped. usually in a car this indicates a burned out bulb but all seem to be working. Couldn't find anything in the owners manual to help so I am appealing to the SL expert team
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Default lighting mods?

have you done any lighting mods lately ? or any other mods that might have disturbed some wiring ?
    Last edited by coz; 10-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Disconnect them one by one to see if you can narrow down the problem to one circuit.

Are all the bulbs stock or did you or anyone else change them to LED's?

Do you have the ESI Double Play or Triple Play mods installed?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE TURN SIGNALS

I believe He recently put Risers on and said He had difficulty finding enough slack ......could this be connected or dis-connected/ pinched something ?????.....Mike

Spyder Garage

can use this to see alarm in the spyder
    With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
    Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed. This can be looked up in the shop manual (available on CD) or you can ask on SpyderLovers and someone will look it up for you.
    If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.
    I believe this procedure is in your manual.

check fuse box , batteri cable ground cable daze cable , cable to led light on fender
    great feed back with pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I believe He recently put Risers on and said He had difficulty finding enough slack ......could this be connected or dis-connected/ pinched something ?????.....Mike
    They worked fine afterthe riser install. This is somethinmg new.
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    have you done any lighting mods lately ? or any other mods that might have disturbed some wiring ?
    I put in the LED fender tips didn't really notice any thing different until last night.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Disconnect them one by one to see if you can narrow down the problem to one circuit.

Are all the bulbs stock or did you or anyone else change them to LED's?

Do you have the ESI Double Play or Triple Play mods installed?
    ok I took the LED fender tips out today and replaced them with the original bulbs. When I first turned the key on the turn signals in the rear were off like they should be. I tried the left signal and it worked fine. Tried the right and it stuttered a couple of times then quick blinking and went to constant on. rapid blinking indicator on dash. after a couple more tries now neither side works stays lit all the way around and lights don't flash. I can't think of anything else. retraced wiring harness from the riser install and all wires and plugs are secure with ample slack rechecked battery connections, fuses and relays. all intact. Gonna try that code sequence that someone else mentioned to see if there were any codes thrown.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the nicko View Post
    can use this to see alarm in the spyder
    With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
    Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed. This can be looked up in the shop manual (available on CD) or you can ask on SpyderLovers and someone will look it up for you.
    If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.
    I believe this procedure is in your manual.

check fuse box , batteri cable ground cable daze cable , cable to led light on fender
    Tried this procedure and it doesn't work. Looked through the owners manual and there is nothing like this step in there either.

Spyder Garage

You bought this used, didn't you? Are you absolutely sure there is not a TIPS (front clearance and/or mudflap lights blink with turn signals), Double Play (front turn signals double as running lights), Triple Play (rear brake lights also function as turn signals and rear turns function as brake lights), brake flasher (brakelights blink several times before coming on solid), or LED replacement bulbs installed in turn signals? If everything is stock, the Spyder was not washed to get water in the turn switch, and there are no lighting or wiring mods, you may need the cluster reflashed or need a new one. There is no turn signal flasher on the Spyder, the signals are controlled through the cluster. In troubleshooting, other than looking for accessory modules wired in, I'd remove all turn bulbs and try again, replacing them one at a time. It still sounds like you have a lighting mod, though, that is the only way the turn signals and clearance lights would be connected, so your bulb mod affected the signals. Could be coincidence, but I doubt it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You bought this used, didn't you? Are you absolutely sure there is not a TIPS (front clearance and/or mudflap lights blink with turn signals), Double Play (front turn signals double as running lights), Triple Play (rear brake lights also function as turn signals and rear turns function as brake lights), brake flasher (brakelights blink several times before coming on solid), or LED replacement bulbs installed in turn signals? If everything is stock, the Spyder was not washed to get water in the turn switch, and there are no lighting or wiring mods, you may need the cluster reflashed or need a new one. There is no turn signal flasher on the Spyder, the signals are controlled through the cluster. In troubleshooting, other than looking for accessory modules wired in, I'd remove all turn bulbs and try again, replacing them one at a time. It still sounds like you have a lighting mod, though, that is the only way the turn signals and clearance lights would be connected, so your bulb mod affected the signals. Could be coincidence, but I doubt it.
    I did buy it used. I have gone over the spyder with a fine tooth comb. All stock lighting, no wiring unaccounted for. All incandesent bulbs. The only change was the LED fender tip bulbs that I put in a couple of weeks ago. That was the first thing I removed today when I began this troubleshooting mission. now during my riser install I had the dash cluster in and out several times and the first removal was a bit traumatic because I couldn't figure out how it came out. I actually cracked the lens on the front during removal. After that I learned how to do it and didn't have anymore trouble. when all mods were done everything worked fine. I did pre ride inspections and tested all lighting. so I know that this problem just surfaced yesterday and the only thing I did yesterday before riding was to install a new windshield.

ps. I have washed the spyder several times. I do try to be careful with water around the dash and I always use forced air dryer on it afterwards. Not sure if that explains anything...
    Last edited by major911; 10-11-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add on

Spyder Garage

The cracked cluster lens and washing the Spyder doesn't sound like a good combination. I think it would be best for you to leave this one up to a good dealer...and bring your checkbook.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The cracked cluster lens and washing the Spyder doesn't sound like a good combination. I think it would be best for you to leave this one up to a good dealer...and bring your checkbook.
    That leaves me with a rather uneasy feeling...LOL but I appreciate your opinion and candor. I'll seek out a reputable and hopefully charitable dealer Thanks Scotty!

Spyder Garage

I guess the next thread I need to research is the best way to wash the spyder. Sounds like I'm doing it wrong.

Spyder Garage

Default moisture

is there any moisture inside your cluster lense ? maybe check to see that the harness is snapped on to it completely.

Spyder Garage

is there any moisture inside your cluster lense ? maybe check to see that the harness is snapped on to it completely.
    Or that there is not water or corrosion in the connector.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I pulled the cluster and checked it thoroughly, no moisture. I unplugged and replugged the harness. No change.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LIGHTS PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    I pulled the cluster and checked it thoroughly, no moisture. I unplugged and replugged the harness. No change.
    Cracked cluster lens and Water does not sound like a good thing.....JMHO........Mike...............PS good luck

Spyder Garage

Default fender tip bulbs

check fender tip bulb sockets and wires going to them. i remember someone recently had a problem with a loose wire in a fender tip socket. those sockets, as i recall, are kind of cheesey.matter of fact, when i put led tip bulbs in mine, the right bulb had trouble maintaining contact.
    Last edited by coz; 10-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

check fender tip bulb sockets and wires going to them. i remember someone recently had a problem with a loose wire in a fender tip socket. those sockets, as i recall, are kind of cheesey.matter of fact, when i put led tip bulbs in mine, the right bulb had trouble maintaining contact.
    First thing i did was remove the led bulbs from the fender tips and put the original bulbs back in.

Spyder Garage

Please let us know the result of disconnecting the turn signal bulbs one by one. That information is needed to help you more. Also, disconnect the instrument cluster cable and then turn on the key and let us know the effect that has on the signal lights. They cannot blink without the cluster attached but I need to know if they light. The way to resolve these types of problems is to narrow it down to the circuit that is causing the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Please let us know the result of disconnecting the turn signal bulbs one by one. That information is needed to help you more. Also, disconnect the instrument cluster cable and then turn on the key and let us know the effect that has on the signal lights. They cannot blink without the cluster attached but I need to know if they light. The way to resolve these types of problems is to narrow it down to the circuit that is causing the issue.
    i will try this and let you know the results. are the front signals always on like running lights? I've never noticed since i'm usually on the other side of them. I know on my HD the fronts were always on.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question We have an RT, so less than useless here, but I do have a question

When asked about mods, you said the only electrical was the LED fender tip bulbs, but when I read your signiture line, you have listed that you have:

2011 Alloy Orange/Black RSS SE5, Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Double Feature Tag Lens, 4.5" Easy Risers, Garmin Zumo 550, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield

What is this Double Feature Tag Lens you have & could it possibly be causing any of the issue? Just trying to help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    When asked about mods, you said the only electrical was the LED fender tip bulbs, but when I read your signiture line, you have listed that you have:

2011 Alloy Orange/Black RSS SE5, Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Double Feature Tag Lens, 4.5" Easy Risers, Garmin Zumo 550, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield

What is this Double Feature Tag Lens you have & could it possibly be causing any of the issue? Just trying to help
    It's just a lens that replaces the reflector over the tag light on the rear fender. Nothing electrical.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Also, you said this DIDN'T WORK, do you mean you couldn't get anything to display?

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    Tried this procedure and it doesn't work. Looked through the owners manual and there is nothing like this step in there either.
    I copied & pasted this from one of Scotty's other posts, here's the directions he gives for pulling up the fault codes on an RS. If it didn't work, as you said, then I'd be lead to believe that you either didn't do it right, or there is in fact something wrong with your cluster & maybe that could be the answer to your problem Again, just trying to help as something should be displayed

Turn Ignition key to "ON".
    Use "MODE" button to display total hours.
    Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
    Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).

The active faults will be displayed or "No Active Fault Code" will be shown. If you get no message, you didn't get the flash beams sequence in during the allotted time. Try again.