Spyder Garage

Question Stuck in first gear

Rode bike 100 miles yesterday.( mostly freeway) When I got on surface streets all of a sudden I noticed it would not shift out of first gear, you could hear it try, but no it stayed in first gear. I came to a stop and tried to put paddle shift into neutral, No, only stay in first. I shut down pull key out and it starts up in first where normally it would go automatically into neutral. Well I was luckily only a couple miles from home and took side streets staying in just first gear.

With bike turned off I turned key to just release parking brake and I was able to move and turn bike around in garage, ( This way I can get towed to dealership) I thought if it was stuck in first gear I might not be able to.

I tried doing a search on clutch but if there is another suggestion, I am open to explore it, rest of bike is running fine.

Anything I should check or do before I have towed to dealership.

I called dealership and they said it might be centrifugal clutch, but wouldn't know until they can check it out.

No codes or anything to display. I have 2500 miles since last service, I checked oil at 2K miles and it was at proper level.

Spyder Garage

From your description it does not sound like a clutch to me. Can you manually shift it? (As per procedure in your operators manual). Did the linkage come apart or break?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised that no codes popped up.
    Since it shifted itself into neutral; I'd guess that the shifter itself is at least partially okay...
    Gear position sensor maybe???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since it shifted itself into neutral; I'd guess that the shifter itself is at least partially okay...

It's stuck in first gear.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    From your description it does not sound like a clutch to me. Can you manually shift it? (As per procedure in your operators manual). Did the linkage come apart or break?
    When you say linkage come apart All I know how to do is paddle shift. Since when I push on the lever, nothing happens or engages. I am afraid to push to hard and break something.

I have a 2010 RTS paddleshift(SE5) with 42K miles on her

Spyder Garage

Check your shift linkage. Could have come loose from the spline or the rod could have came loose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It never went into neutral, the computer display shows 1st gear. And it started in first I thought I wouldn't beable to push it around in my garage, but I was. I have to leave for work in my cage but will be back.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does sound likely to be an issue with the GPS (Gear Position Sensor) but seems it should have thrown a code if that were actually the case.

I would suggest checking your oil again, as a low oil level can cause this issue. I know you stated that you checked it 500 miles ago, but maybe something happend to cause it to get low enough to cause this issue now. I know on our 2010 RT-S, if we didn't keep it at the Top Full Line, we'd end up having intermitant shifting issues with no codes given, so worth a check. Tho, if you check it now, its most likely not going to be at FULL OPERATING TEMP and will read lower than actual, so your kind of stuck to get an accurate reading, if you can't ryde it and shift thru the gears to get it properly warmed up. Tho if its low, adding a little couldn't hurt, as it would get blown into the airbox if it were too much.

You can manually shift an SE5, by using a (I think its a 10 mm, not 100% sure tho) wrench and manually moving the linkage which is easy to do, as its right by where your left foot would be if you were sitting in the seat. I know this doesn't help much, but all I could find, sorry.

Good Luck.
    Dave n Teddy~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry... Bad eyesight tripped up my understanding...
    It'd be a linkage thing with all of the mechanicals not doing their thing properly...
    You said that it sounded as if it was trying; but just not getting anywhere... that's mechanical.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Its a 13mm wrench that would be needed to manually shift the linkage, not 10 mm IMG_20120926_115949.jpgIMG_20120926_115525.jpgIMG_20120926_120119.jpg

Spyder Garage

The same thing just happend to me--only I was stuck in second gear.

The spline/shift linkage came apart. Dealer put it back together. $99.00. There were no codes or screens that came on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default No codes

From my own experience if a shift fails it may not throw a code. It will throw a code if the GPS senses that the transmission is between gears. So if the linkage has come apart or broken, the shift shaft never moves out of the detent position for 1st gear, so no code.

2018 F3 LIMITED

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Yep, happened to me. Shift lever fell off, had to ride about 25 miles hiway and 5 city to get back to my daughters house. It was stuck in 4th, this was a padle shift, it would die at stop signs but always restarted then would just creep up to speed. Got to her house, looked underneath and there it was, just hanging by the shift rod. Just one of the many things that went wrong with mine.

Dwight