Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt splitting

Anyone else have their drive belt split in two lengthwise? I effectivly have two belts now on my 2011 RT and wondered if this had occured to anyone else.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Spyder Garage

I have a small nick in mine on the top edge, not sure how long it has been there but it does play with my mind when I ride. Replacing it at $200 plus install is crazy though if it is not going to affect the strength.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine split in half and I was lucky because it split at a stoplight. I had just come off the expressway and would have been in big trouble had it broken while driving. If it was me I would get it replaced.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mine split in half and I was lucky because it split at a stoplight. I had just come off the expressway and would have been in big trouble had it broken while driving. If it was me I would get it replaced.
    I am getting it replaced. Just curious if this is something that happens every 6000 miles or if it is a fluke!

Spyder Garage

Split belts are usually a result of a stone (or road debris) puncturing the center of the belt. That's probably how it started. Inspect the sprockets closely when you replace the belt, to be sure there isn't still a stone stuck in either of them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    I am getting it replaced. Just curious if this is something that happens every 6000 miles or if it is a fluke!
    Those belts are pretty tough, So i would say it's a fluke! Definitely not at every 6 thousand miles.

Spyder Garage

Have not had problems with the belt splitting in half like you mentioned. Recommend replacing ASAP.

I have had rocks damage two belts--both prior to 25,000 miles. Best guess on the site seems to be 50K plus for a lifetime average--with no driver caused problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Anyone else have their drive belt split in two lengthwise? I effectivly have two belts now on my 2011 RT and wondered if this had occured to anyone else.
    That does seem odd, although the cords in the belt do run in that direction. It could have possibly been a defective belt.

If a stone went through the belt there will be visible evidence on the tooth side of the belt as it will leave a divot.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

The belt is the one thing that worries me the most on our RT. We have to go down 3 1/2 miles of dirt and gravel to get to pavement. My Harley is belt drive too so I'm 2X concerned!
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Default belt holes

if you get a stone hole in a belt might I suggest you take a nail or an ice pick heat it to almost red hot with a propane torch then insert it into the stone hole. This will melt and fuse the rubber and nylon cord and stop any more fraying after which try the impossible and forget it.

Spyder Garage

Split drive belt caused by a stone in one of the sprockets. Inside of belt was well warn, out side was split. Stone was no longer there. Was not covered by warranty.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Best guess on the site seems to be 50K plus for a lifetime average--with no driver caused problems.
    At 30,000 miles, the belt on our 2010 RT was cupping; Dealer told us BRP had recently changed the recommended replacement to 30,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    The belt is the one thing that worries me the most on our RT. We have to go down 3 1/2 miles of dirt and gravel to get to pavement. My Harley is belt drive too so I'm 2X concerned!
    I have 1 1/2 miles of dirt road. Have you had problems with things breaking because of the rough road? I try to take it easy and pick the best line but I wonder if the road is the cause of some of my problems.

Thanks
    James

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb We'd guess (from our experience) this is a fluke & not normal at all

We've got 34,000 miles on Teds Red Sled, & that's from daily ryding year round & it still looks great