Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboard Problems

These can be great boards but read the install instructions carefully. I have a 2012 Limited and they do not fit that great. If you need to raise the passengers footrests then you will have to make your own support to hold the rear bracket solid. These rear brackets are made to have the passenger footrests down all the way to make the rear bracket solid. Also just discovered that I will have to put risers underneath the front supports to keep them off the wings under the front part of the floorboards. Any pressure at all on the the top front of the boards hits the wings. It has turned a 30-45 minute job into 8 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rrfreng View Post
    These can be great boards but read the install instructions carefully. I have a 2012 Limited and they do not fit that great. If you need to raise the passengers footrests then you will have to make your own support to hold the rear bracket solid. These rear brackets are made to have the passenger footrests down all the way to make the rear bracket solid. Also just discovered that I will have to put risers underneath the front supports to keep them off the wings under the front part of the floorboards. Any pressure at all on the the top front of the boards hits the wings. It has turned a 30-45 minute job into 8 hours.
    Call John @ Seal I am sure he will work with you to resolve any issues you are having! I don't have his stuff, but I have had lunch with him and he is a great guy!

Spyder Garage

John has some update rear mounts for this issue. They are square in nature so the don't twist.

The front of my seals don't touch the front wings? maybe with the new rear brackets this will sort list self out.

Contact john he wil get the new brackets out to you.

Here is the thread on the new brackets.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I installed Seal Floorboards 4 weeks ago.I have a 2012 RT.I am not handy at all but I followed the instructions and had the job done in 45 minutes.It was no problem and have done a 1000 miles with them .They are terrific.
    I simply cannot imagine it would take anyone 8 hours to install.
    Ivor

Spyder Garage

I installed mine a few weeks ago and noticed the same thing with rear foot rest,
    I saw on his web site about the new rear pegs for the rear but did not get them
    when i ordered mine.

My problem however is the rubber mat keeps sliding around in hot weather, I removed them, cleaned the surface good and re silicone them
    but they are moving again so might have to find a better glue.

Overall I love the floorboards and would buy them again.
    Last edited by leenanj; 09-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leenanj View Post
    I installed mine a few weeks ago and noticed the same thing with rear foot rest,
    I saw on his web site about the new rear pegs for the rear but did not get them
    when i ordered mine.

My problem however is the rubber mat keeps sliding around in hot weather, I removed them, cleaned the surface good and re silicone them
    but they are moving again so might have to find a better glue.

Overall I love the floorboards and would buy them again.
    I had the same problem went to Napa bought the 3 m spray glue.Cleaned them up ,sprayed the 3 m now they don't move at all.
    Ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John's a guy who stands behind his product 100 percent... Call him and he'll do whatever needs to be done to make sure that all is as it should be for you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default LOVE SEAL FLOORBOARDS

Love the floorboards, great product!! Since we're on the subject, my husband was thinking of removing the rubber mat and taking them to Rhino Liner and have them sprayed with the liner instead.....anyone ever done that, see any potential problems with doing that????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I do have the square rear mounts and they slip out of the rear unless you have the passenger footrests all the way down. I need them all the way up!
    It doesn't take 8 hours to install UNLESS you have to MAKE your own supports to hold the rear mount in and down!
    I was also including the time it is going to take me to remove the front supports and put risers underneath to keep the front of the boards off of the wings.
    I have installed MANY after market upgrades to many different motorcycles and never have had this many problems in the past!
    I am not sure if this may only apply to the 2012 Limited RT SE5 version.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT Limited.

If the front of the sealboard is screwed to the front peg, how can the rear pull out? the angle needed can not made.

Can you take some pictures or small video showing the issue be nice to help you if we can.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Interesting. .............. Have you contacted John?

I realize this is a great forum to find information and also to vent for those of us that feel no one is listening to our problems but I find it difficult to understand why someone would post negative comments about a product or service before giving the manufacturer a fair chance to correct any issue or problem Just my 2¢

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I have a 2012 RT Limited.

If the front of the sealboard is screwed to the front peg, how can the rear pull out? the angle needed can not made.

Can you take some pictures or small video showing the issue be nice to help you if we can.

harry
    It cannot fall out but it can move or flex up and down when stepped on.

It also vibrates somewhat because it is not attached firmly.

I was thinking of drilling the rear bracket out and putting a bolt through it, problem solved.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How do you know I haven't contacted him? I Have! I was told the rear passenger footrests must be placed down on the rear supports!
    Then the rear brackets are solid. I NEED THEM ALL THE WAY UP!
    Maybe some people don't know what they are talking about!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To fix I used a bolt with washers, locknuts and made metal supports 1 1/2 in. wide by 2 in. long that fit on top of the rear bracket.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rrfreng;509040[U
    ]How do you know I haven't contacted him[/U]? I Have! I was told the rear passenger footrests must be placed down on the rear supports!Then the rear brackets are solid. I NEED THEM ALL THE WAY UP!Maybe some people don't know what they are talking about!!!
    [/QUOTE] Interesting. .............. Have you contacted John?[/QUOTE]

I don't, thats why I asked if you had You didn't say that you had contacted him, You also didn't ask any questions, just made statements of negative comments.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 09-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.

arntufun

How do you know I haven't contacted him? I Have! I was told the rear passenger footrests must be placed down on the rear supports!
    Then the rear brackets are solid. I NEED THEM ALL THE WAY UP!
    Maybe some people don't know what they are talking about!!!

Is it written on the directions that the rear passenger footrests must be placed down on the rear supports ????? If not, you have a valid complaint and John should note that on the install directions so you and others will know.

I know your frustrated, but it's not a good way to start off on this site by saying people don't know what they are talking about. Be careful of the toes you step on today, because they might be connected to the azz your kissing tomorrow when you need help with your Spyder.

BTW, and hope you have good luck making the bracket or returning the boards for a refund.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had several conversations with this gentleman. I have asked what I can do to help and am more than willing to take them back and give a refund. I have not heard back since then until now. I am always willing to work with those who have a problem or take them back. This is the first negative posting with almost 500 sets sold.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I have had several conversations with this gentleman. I have asked what I can do to help and am more than willing to take them back and give a refund. I have not heard back since then until now. I am always willing to work with those who have a problem or take them back. This is the first negative posting with almost 500 sets sold.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    You just can't please some people.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe he'll think about it a bit and decide to come to his senses... I hope!
    John's a class-act...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just in case anyone cares, John, you did not offer me a refund or respond to my complaint!!!! If you say you did then YOU know what you are!
    If anyone wants to know how to stop the problem of the floorboards hitting the wings underneath, read on.
    I put 1/2 in. shims under the boards on the front supports, 3/8 may work better. You can't raise to high or you will need another shim under the brake pedal.
    Now with the supports on the back they are rock solid and also LEVEL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why don't you just take it up with him in private... or do you always do your laundry out in public?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Also would be nice if the manufacturer would fix the problems that he knows he has with these boards!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

MAYBE YOU LIKE INFERIOR PRODUCTS! I DON'T!

Spyder Garage

I can't add much here.

I have dealt with John and he has come through on both sets of floorboards that I have on my RT's.

Cincy is right on also!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To fix I used a bolt with washers, locknuts and made metal supports 1 1/2 in. wide by 2 in. long that fit on top of the rear bracket.
    Now that's a good idea, I may go that route rather than trying to drill the original bracket.

My wife is on the short side so the footrests have to be almost all the way up.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing