Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Checking rear tire pressure

I did a search using "rear tire" and thought surely that'd bring up something, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes...

Anyone any tips for the best way to get to your rear tire valve stem?

I managed it by having a chuck in front of one tire (I was on level surface in my garage-but just in case), then with the bike off; in neutral; and parking brake off, I was able to roll the bike back until I got the stem facing rearward so I could then wedge my gauge in there.

Oh, and if anyone has the engineers name and address that came up with that idea for placement of that valve stem, please let me know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
    I did a search using "rear tire" and thought surely that'd bring up something, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes...

I managed it by having a chuck in front of one tire (I was on level surface in my garage-but just in case), then with the bike off; in neutral; and parking brake off, I was able to roll the bike back until I got the stem facing rearward so I could then wedge my gauge in there.

Oh, and if anyone has the engineers name and address that came up with that idea for placement of that valve stem, please let me know.
    I bought one of these and works great.
    http://www.getagauge.com/Accessories...1e214e1144d3a1
    David

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I bought one of these and works great.http://www.getagauge.com/Accessories...1e214e1144d3a1
    David
    Thanks for that link, Teddy has me use something similar to this, and it does work well

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engineer's identity

He is the same guy at BMW that designed my R 1100S. Try to change a fuel filter. Try to check battery fluid. Wonder why he specified 16 mm nuts on the Telelever.

My guess he was fired when BMW put the valve stems on the spokes so you could access them. CanAm gave him another chance.

Service and access is no longer important. We sheep are meant to believe that the factory designs to a standard and not to a price. We are discouraged from grasping fundamentals, using our brains and being self reliant.

There are good mechanics but none of them were born yesterday.
    Last edited by lapirow; 08-30-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: spelling cant fix it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lapirow View Post
    He is the same guy at BMW that designed my R 1100S. Try to change a fuel filter. Try to check battery fluid. Wonder why he specified 16 mm nuts on the Telelever.

My guess he was fired when BMW put the valve stems on the spokes so you could access them. CanAm gave him another chance.

Service and access is no longer important. We sheep are meant to believe that the factory designs to a standard and not to a price. We are discouraged from grasping fundamentals, using our brains and being self reliant.

There are good mecanics but none of them wew born yesterday.
    I hear ya man. I've a BMW F650 and its not without its list of "...WTF were they thinking..." features too.

Ah well; keeps it interesting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Thanks for that link, Teddy has me use something similar to this, and it does work well
    , I use one of these as well, still a bit of a struggle, the valve should face the other way, away from the belt.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

That rear tire valve is a real snake for sure!! Haven't done any research on it yet but has anyone found an extension that would make it a little more user-friendly?
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

This is the best tire guage I ever had.

This is where you can get it:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i00

Mike

Spyder Garage

Joe's Racing Gage looks like it has the best angle for access, but isn't any help in adding air to the tire. The Check-a-spare extender looks like it would be great for adding and checking the air (with a gage, of course), but doesn't seem to have the right angle to get in there.

Thoughts?

In all honesty, I was about to post a similar question today, but felt like I was missing something very obvious and would look silly doing so. Many thanks to the OP for asking my question.

Spyder Garage

Here is what I use. It works well for me. Got it at Princess Auto on sale $15.00, if I remember right. You US folks should be able to find it somewhere else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So far some good ideas, but I've already got a good digital gauge I'd bought just for the Spyder, lol before I knew of the rear tire challenge. But y'all did give me an idea of what to look for.

This looks like it may work...
    51yExlPgX1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    and I may give it a shot.

Spyder Garage

What are everybody's thoughts on this one - cheap and simple to solve the problem:
    http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressur...ght+angle+tire

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Here is what I use. It works well for me. Got it at Princess Auto on sale $15.00, if I remember right. You US folks should be able to find it somewhere else.
    I have a similar one to this but with an analog gauge that is off by about 20 # or so.....maybe all I need is a good one of these with a digital gauge.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

I just use a "pencil" type gauge. It slips in there OK.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well if you find out who that engineer was... PLEASE let the rest of us know! We've got plans for him; some of which we aren't even able to discuss in public!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use one of these like they use to have at gas stations. I really is pretty easy with it. I checked the built in air guage and it is correct compared to my pen type.
    21dfd1GsEYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a dumb comment but since no one else has mentioned it...

The toolkit that came with my GS has a compact digital gauge that fits pretty well.

David

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Monkey View Post

The toolkit that came with my GS has a compact digital gauge that fits pretty well.

David
    Yea, But if every one used that' what would they have to complain about.?

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=lyonsden;507427]I use one of these like they use to have at gas stations. I really is pretty easy with it. I checked the built in air guage and it is correct compared to my pen type.
    21dfd1GsEYL__SL500_AA300_.jpgI use the same one. Got mine from Northern Tool and it works well.
    Spyderjuice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

I have used stock, and pencil type, both a pain in the butt. I am really surprised that the nanny doesnt moniter tire pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Monkey View Post

David
    Best check the accuracy of that one. I checked mine and it ran about 5lbs high; so it went in the trash.

Just say'n

Spyder Garage

Default Opinions wanted...

Could this be left on the tire to act as an extension to that bas**ard placement of the OEM valve stem? Just thinkin...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

So far some good ideas, but I've already got a good digital gauge I'd bought just for the Spyder, lol before I knew of the rear tire challenge. But y'all did give me an idea of what to look for.

This looks like it may work...
    51yExlPgX1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    and I may give it a shot.
    This is what I use and it works great. Use it on my rear motorhome tires also which are also a pain in the arse. The good thing is it is so flexible, you can tighten from the outer tip.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Best check the accuracy of that one. I checked mine and it ran about 5lbs high; so it went in the trash.

Just say'n
    Just wondering,? At one point i had 4 air gauges, 2 were close to each other, 2 were way off from the other 2, on the same tire.
    How do you check the accuracy of an air gauge, Do you have a master gauge.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 90 degree adapter that I just screw on the valve stem when the wheel is turned to about the 4 oclock position. I can now put air in or check the pressure with any guage by just supporting the back side of the adapter. It works for me !