Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KUHMO Tires

Spyder Garage

Default KUHMO Tires

Called my dealer today about mounting a Kuhmo tire on the rear of my and he told me ok but I had to sign a paper saying that they installed an aftermarket tire on my bike. Is this a normal procedure elsewhere??? If that's the case what about ALL the other aftermarket things that dealers install?? Do they require a signature also????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post
    Called my dealer today about mounting a Kuhmo tire on the rear of my and he told me ok but I had to sign a paper saying that they installed an aftermarket tire on my bike. Is this a normal procedure elsewhere??? If that's the case what about ALL the other aftermarket things that dealers install?? Do they require a signature also????
    As long as it meets specs what's the difference??? Sounds like he just wanted to sell you a tire.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Pretty normal. Dealer that put my Kuhmo on wanted to have me sign a waiver... He never produced one for me to sign.

I have the kuhmo... Not a bad tire, but don't expect to get a lot more miles out of it... I'm at 10.5k miles on this one and it looks like I'll make 12.5 to 13k and need to replace it.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

This may or may not help but it's probably worth your time.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hp?41854-Tires

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Pretty normal. Dealer that put my Kuhmo on wanted to have me sign a waiver... He never produced one for me to sign.

I have the kuhmo... Not a bad tire, but don't expect to get a lot more miles out of it... I'm at 10.5k miles on this one and it looks like I'll make 12.5 to 13k and need to replace it.
    wow Dan thats not a lot of wear for a rear kumho.

i have 43k on mine and it still has plenty of tread.

i had an independant shop put mine on. cost $55

i run 25#'s in mine

Spyder Garage

They probably are doing this because of the electronic problems that can be caused by mismatched tires. BRP will not cover these problems under warranty so, the dealer would have to eat the labor involved in proving that the tire mismatch is causing whatever problem surfaces. Also, if there is a safety issue, it could help exclude them from liability. Car tires on a motorcycle is a potential safety issue. Smart to CYA if you are in business.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

Dan are you spinning that puppy. I've got 6k on my ectsa and it looks brand new....I run at 23 PSI...Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 19 posts and limited knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    They probably are doing this because of the electronic problems that can be caused by mismatched tires. BRP will not cover these problems under warranty so, the dealer would have to eat the labor involved in proving that the tire mismatch is causing whatever problem surfaces. Also, if there is a safety issue, it could help exclude them from liability. Car tires on a motorcycle is a potential safety issue. Smart to CYA if you are in business.
    It's not nice to scare people unless you really have to.....Yes the spyder is classified as a motorcycle, but if you you operate it like one you are headed for the ditch fast.....car tires actually are fine for the spyder because it runs flat.....and the Kumho comes in 225/50-15 size so I'm pretty sure that is what she is putting on to replace the 225/50-15 she is taking off......So there is no mis-match.....even 215/60-15 work OK.....PS welcome to the forum.......Mike....

Spyder Garage

I have been running automobile tires on my Spyders almost from the very beginning. I have had automobile tires changed at three different Spyder dealers and nobody has even mentioned the fact that the tires were not OEM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's not nice to scare people unless you really have to.....Yes the spyder is classified as a motorcycle, but if you you operate it like one you are headed for the ditch fast.....car tires actually are fine for the spyder because it runs flat.....and the Kumho comes in 225/50-15 size so I'm pretty sure that is what she is putting on to replace the 225/50-15 she is taking off......So there is no mis-match.....even 215/60-15 work OK.....PS welcome to the forum.......Mike....
    Yes, it is a match. I may be female but I'm NOT that dumb. PS thank you MIKE

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's just a CYA thing, It's not OEM for Can-Am. And it's definately not an aftermarket! It's an alternative to pricing for a motorcycle tire $190.00, with a very short lifespan. It seems that the Kenda tire is soft,spongie,flexable and that is what the nanny likes when your running aggressively, If you place an automotive tire on the front with grip, you will get a DPS error if the tire bites hard. I know, I've gotten a few. Pull over for a short break, remove the key. And your on your way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're trying to poke you back into the direction of buying another Kenda...
    My dealer didn't say anything; he just mounted up the Falken and we've both been happy!
    I'm not sure; but it may be that the Kenda selection is the only one that's marked as being for use on motorcycles.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just want to get at least 20K out of the rear. I'm searching for a tire that can do that.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed my oem @ 19k, but it was slicker than a few heads in this forum...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool just say'n

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I just want to get at least 20K out of the rear. I'm searching for a tire that can do that.
    Teddy got 23,000 out of his stock rear tire & that was with year round ryding
    Tho its safe to say, he was pushing it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    The variabilty with people's tire experience is WIDE... I've heard of as low as 9K with the stock tire, and now this new record of 23K.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I changed mine at 7,000
    But we had a contestant earlier this summer who mentioned 26,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    The variabilty with people's tire experience is WIDE... I've heard of as low as 9K with the stock tire, and now this new record of 23K.
    I think alot of the tire wear is the road conditions. As Kratos would agree here in Mississippi our roads are made of grey rock and very abrasive to tires. They eat up tires real quick. I run thru the same thing on my motorcycles. I wished they made a good tire to hold up on our rock roads
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    I have been running automobile tires on my Spyders almost from the very beginning. I have had automobile tires changed at three different Spyder dealers and nobody has even mentioned the fact that the tires were not OEM.
    I'm on my fourth rear, the OEM, one Toyo, and my second Kumo. Loved the Toyo the best - GREAT on wet - rain roads. The Kumo is ok. Would put the Toyo on again but can't find it in the correct size. On my second set of front tires - OEM both times. Dealer has done all tire changes and has never mentioned a waiver.
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Yeah, but Teddy only weighs in at about 5 or 10 pounds...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation You mean something like this>?

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I changed my oem @ 19k, but it was slicker than a few heads in this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Yeah, but Teddy only weighs in at about 5 or 10 pounds...
    Correct you are, he holds steady right at 10 pounds shaved 10.4 with his winter coat

Spyder Garage

I personally would never put a car tire on my spyder. Car tires last longer becuase they are a harder rubber. Harder rubber equals less traction. I want the softest stickiest tire I can find. I do like to ride hard. I come from a racing background. This Is just my personal opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that they're stickier? Or just built with fewer sidewall plies?

Spyder Garage

I believe they should be made with less side wall plys. A car weighs 5,6,7 Times as much ? If you are getting 40 thousomd out of a car tire and say 10 thousand out of the stock tire, then yes I believe the stock tire is much softer and stickier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default auto tires

I just had three new tires (G force sport on the front and Toyo proxes 4 on the rear) of my 09 GS. What air pressure are you running? Are the recommended pressures by BRP too low? I'm presently running 35 rear and 30 front. It hugs the curves like a hungary boa constrictor around its next meal.