Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Terrified in Western KY..... NooB here

Hello, just found this forum..2012 Spyder RS has less than 10 miles on it..had it for over a month.. I'm 64 with my lower right leg missing from a car accident 30+ years ago.. been riding motorized 2 wheels since I was 10 in the gavel alley at my grandmother's house with the local hoodlums , that took apart their dad's lawnmower to put the motor on a minibike.. first real bike was at collage in Bowling Green , KY in the 70's .. 175 Honda.. got tired of school and rode to Cumberland Gap , KY by way of back roads, with no plates and no lights, and no license,, college daze.. 1st big bike.. BMW R90S.. should have kept it.. then It became a blur of BMW's till my last one of a few years ago when i got over 176 mph on a public road.. questioned my sanity and then began the time of just going to the garage and looking at it.. till I finally sold it and bought an RE.. where as I have done the same thing..

Got the bug to ride again, legs have gotten weaker over the years and I was a little concerned about my left leg giving out on a big bike and falling over.. my artificial leg is the strong one , the left one is just there for appearance.....

so I bought the Spyder.. and now am questioning my sanity once more.. seems two wheels have etched my brain a tad.. actually put my feet down to balance myself when pulling out of the driveway and almost riding into a ditch.. trying to find the brake was hard , so I added an ISCI handbrake and roadpegs to try to feel more comfortable.. yet still this machine has it's bluff in on me..

In other words ..what's the learning curve on this thing?

any noobie help would be appreciated ..

thank you

jScotD
    Last edited by jScotD; 08-22-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

It takes a good 500 miles to really get use to these and you have to forget you 2 wheel habits,but it will come to you with practice,ride,ride,ride!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    The above link is the best info for new Spyder Ryders that I've ever seen, tho I'm not sure what it is you really seek. Welcome to the SpyderHood.

Dave N Teddy~

Spyder Garage

i'm a newbie too at 60 years old! had the bike three months and have over 6000 miles on it. (rss) the wife likes it as much as i do as well. there have been a lot of posts on here from newbies that aren't comfortable yet driving their spyders, so don't feel that your the only one in this position.
    my advice to you is simple. go to a large parking lot that isn't in use. (ie. school lot as school is out for the summer) set up some highway cones if you have accesss to them and do as the manual owners instructs you. get the feel of the turning ability of the spyder. get a feel for the braking of the spyder. start slow and pick up the pace as you feel comfortable doing it.
    the learning curve is far greater if you have had bikes all your life and they have been of the two wheel stature. an atv rider or a snowmobile owner will adjust quicker to the spyder ride. time on the seat will build your confidence and the ride will become second nature after a while. corners that you do at 30 mph will become 45 then 50 mph corners without you even realizing it. take your time and enjoy. there is another thing i can tell you, and that is you have come to the right site. spyder people are a friendly bunch and i am sure someone in your area will offer to help out if you desire their assistance.
    Last edited by spydaman60; 08-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default From One Noob to another

I've had mines a little over two months now and have put close to a thousand miles on it. Remember it's not a two while bike... take your time, my suggestion is get on open road so you can get used to how it feels.. then everything else in between will work itself out. I had it less than a week and hit the highway just so I can get the scary part behind me. After that it was a breeze.

welcome to da SpyderHood !!

Spyder Garage

Learning curve is about 400-500 miles, just take it slow. You have enough road expearance so you just need to get used to the spyder. CyncySpyder posted a great link for your first read.

Have fun it a great Bike.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

All great advice here. I started riding, first time ever, last year. It did take seat time and lots of practice to feel comfortable. I don't know how many miles I've ridden, but it's been quite a few lol!! I just turned 61 this past Monday, and am enjoying the ryde. I started in a church parking lot, moved up to a closed car dealer parking lot, and now I'm on the back roads and highways!!

Spyder Garage

Steering is the issue. The Spyder steers like an ATV, not a two wheeled motorcycle. On a motorcycle, you use a steering technique called 'counter-steering'. To turn right, you nudge the handlebars slightly to the left, initiating a right hand lean, which results in the bike turning right.

The Spyder does not lean, so turns in the same direction as the handlebars are turned. If you want to turn right, you steer the handlebars to the right, much like steering a car.

I found that when I actively engaged the brain it all came together. Now I can easily switch between the Spyder and Goldwing with little steering thought required.

Good luck!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default At least 500 miles.....

I'm 54 and made the switch from 2-wheels about 4 months ago. For the first 150-200 miles I was thinking I made a big mistake, and did not feel comfortable at all on the Spyder. Then I started reading some of the tips on this site (tire pressure, shocks set-up, riding tips, etc.) and just putting in some casual miles and before I knew it, I actually loved the Spyder and couldn't wait to ride it. Be patient, put on some miles, ask questions when you have them, and you'll be loving these things in no time!
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. Watch the video that should have came with your about learning to ride the machine. Start in a parking lot, graduate to quiet roads, and then on to regular driving conditions.

Overcontrol has been mentioned and that takes some getting used to. Try to put as little input into the handle bars as possible.

It took me about 500 miles to get acclimated to the --but I had been riding two wheels for over 40 years.

New people that I have taught to drive the seem to have got it at about 250 miles or so.

on your ride and to the forum.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks folks

for the input.. I got to get past the fear factor

Spyder Garage

Great advise so far and my experience is about the same as the rest of the dyed in the wool 2 wheel riders. It took me awhile to relax and ride the Spyder like a 3 wheeled vehicle instead of what my brain kept telling me to do.

The first few rides I took on my Spyder scared me to death! And I don't scare easily! Everything was wrong (actually, there was only 1 thing wrong and that was me).

I had the typical death grip on the handlebars (didn't realize it) and I thought I'd made the worst mistake in my LIFE buying this contraption!

But, I had too much invested to give up and my buddy was leaving me behind on his Spyder (can't let that go).

Now I love it. You will too! Just stay loose, realize that your 2 wheel instincts are not necessarily going to work on the Spyder and take your time.

You'll be flying with a grin on your face soon enough.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    for the input.. I got to get past the fear factor
    Take it real easy at first, and relax, relax, relax

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I had the typical death grip on the handlebars (didn't realize it) and I thought I'd made the worst mistake in my LIFE buying this contraption!
    ..... keep a real loose grip on the bars, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. Keep us posted on how it's going.....and don't be afraid to ask questions. You came to the right place.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe

maybe if I replaced the handle bars with a steering wheel , I would think I was driving a Morgan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

First off You are in the right place for info etc. Trust me you will get the hang of it after a few more miles!!!. I had my first 2 wheeler in the early 70's then nothing for years. Turned 60+++ and second childhood. Got the RS. Had a blast with it. but old age and cranky body got me the RT. Been doing ok with it. I am still learning to relax with the spyder. ( It's a white haired old broad problem) Put over 15,000 on the RS and now have over 23,000 on the RT. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Don't let the machine win!!! It's a partnership!!

Spyder Garage

maybe if I replaced the handle bars with a steering wheel , I would think I was driving a Morgan
    The Spyder is just like riding a bicycle for us old time 2 wheelers. At first it seems impossible. Then once you have the knack you'll wonder what all the fuss was about as you glide down the highway in style!

Just take it easy and concentrate on relaxing and letting the Spyder do its thing while you do yours (which is relax and enjoy).

Spyder Garage

Default Get the dealer involved?? or another local Spyder owner?

I'd do the above if you have this much aprehension. Talk it over with them, use the school, as most said, or shopping center or less travelled roads. I love the ISCI brake, but you really need to use your foot also, to keep the stopping distance down. I can sure see where that is a hard lesson, remembering to not ride the brake, as the computer will go nuts. I found the transition to take a couple hundred miles and how it's as much fun as you can have with your pants on. I have 20,500 miles and got the bike a year ago today. I know you have riders around somewehere and they would be glad to help you get comfortable, I'm sure. If not, post a help wanted notice and you'll have folks banging down your door. Hell, I'd ride up from GA for a couple days, if no one's closer.
    Slow and easy...............and you'll be a happy camper in no time.
    Tuckmiddle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default yure welcome TM to come here any time

when I bought the Spyder local.. and asked for them to deliver it.. the guy that brought it out said "wow" that's the first time I have been on the open road on one of these things.. it felt iffy in the steering.. "thank you very much. I said "

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ride it like you stole it. You will do fine. Like most everyone said 500 miles and keep the RPMs above 3400 all the time. My minimum shift point is 4000 rpm.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Gimme a zip code or addy - Teddy LOVES Road-Trips

jScotD, where in 'Western KY' do you live? Teddy & I live in Northern KY, Covington (41016) to be exact, right across the river from downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. We love road-trips and wouldn't mind coming out for a day to ryde with you and give you some pointers first hand and in person, if you wouldn't mind us being there maybe on a Saturday or Sunday??? We have an RT-S, so its a bit of a different beast than your RS, but very similar in style of ryde and operation, just a bit more 'cushy' and with a few more gadgets. Let me know if your interested, & I'll PM you my contact info.

My name is Dave & Teddy is my ...... ummm........ BOSS on the back

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    jScotD, where in 'Western KY' do you live? Teddy & I live in Northern KY, Covington (41016) to be exact, right across the river from downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. We love road-trips and wouldn't mind coming out for a day to ryde with you and give you some pointers first hand and in person, if you wouldn't mind us being there maybe on a Saturday or Sunday??? We have an RT-S, so its a bit of a different beast than your RS, but very similar in style of ryde and operation, just a bit more 'cushy' and with a few more gadgets. Let me know if your interested, & I'll PM you my contact info.

My name is Dave & Teddy is my ...... ummm........ BOSS on the back
    You gotta love this place!!!!

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JScotD,

have you had any experience riding ATVs? I think Spydaman mentioned them...
    These beauties do not ride or handle at all like a two-wheeled bike. They feel very much like an ATV out on the road.
    Keep a light grip on the bars, RELAX, and just take it nice and easy for a little while.
    As you gain experience and confidence, you'll know when it's time to start getting more adventurous!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

when I bought the Spyder local.. and asked for them to deliver it.. the guy that brought it out said "wow" that's the first time I have been on the open road on one of these things.. it felt iffy in the steering.. "thank you very much. I said "
    When you don't know what you're doing, and you're riding the Spyder wrong, it does feel 'Iffy' in the steering.

When you're riding 2 wheels and you start a turn, there is a significant lag in response and nothing happens right away. If you draw a line on the road and start your turn right on that line at say 65 miles per hour, you'd be surprised how far you go before anything happens. Your brain builds this lag factor into your riding style and you don't even notice it. You think things are instant, but they are not.

Try the same senario with the Spyder and you'd see that as soon as you hit that line where you started your turn, the turn starts IMMEDIATELY!

So, every twitch, movement, and unintended input you make on 2 wheels is absorbed by the delay in reaction inherent in a 2 wheel vehicle and you never notice it.

But those same unintended, normally unnoticed inputs to the Spyder steering have IMMEDIATE consequence. Your brain is telling you that the Spyder is twitching on its own and you have no control over it. But just the opposite is true. It's YOU! Once you grasp this reality things start to improve.

Your Spyder is simply responding instantly to your wishes, (Inputs to the handle bars) whether intentional or unintentional (BRP is working on a computer that can tell the difference for later models).

When you first ride the Spyder it feels twitchy for this reason. The natural reaction is to GRIP those handlebars like a vice, stiffen your forearms and try to control the twitch. This just makes everything worse and you enter the vicious cycle of confidence killing 'lack of control' feeling.

The cure is to relax the hands, relax the wrists, relax the forearms and shoulders and quit trying to counter every movement your Spyder makes. When you can acheive this, even for a short time, you will notice instant results. This will build confidence and though you will have to consciously remind yourself to relax, soon it will become as 2nd nature as building in the lag effect when riding 2 wheels.

At this point the steering goes from twitchy to responsive and you begin to fully experience the wonders that are the Can-Am Spyder.

This is the reason that so many who have never ridden any kind of motorcycle can jump on a Spyder and ride away like they stole it. They aren't carrying that built in 2 wheeled riding style baggage.

Spyder Garage

I like the parking lot thing. A lot of Gold Wings Chapters have a day of it, even if you ride all year. After you do a turn or something, stop in place and think about what you did right or wrong.
    Cones markers can be anything. Wal Mart ( and others ) sells 6 or 8 " cones for sports events, even in different colors. Reasonable priceed. I was one the "original 1000 ATV instructors" (if anybody rembers that bunch) so I have about fifty or so in the different colors. Outside all cones, outside green cones, inside yellow and so on.
    Other options might be, cut in half tennis balls, even paper/plastic cups of water. All of thes are less scary then hitting a big trafic cone.
    Of course, I also agree with the above stuff. Welcome and I hope you ride a lot.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We took ours to a large empty parking lot, and just got the feel. After a couple of sessions, my wife could notice the difference, and since I only had a permit at the time, she was following me! I know I had to be flaky if she could see the difference from behind me...

Take some time, practice, and when out on the road, stay away from traffic as much as possible. I always took the long lonely roads at first just because I didn't want anything around me to help me OFF my spyder... I had enough to worry about already...

2300 miles later, It feels quite natural...