Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Lacking Top End Power

I rode with a group of 2 wheel riders that were heavy on the throttle this weekend and as I was at the tail end of the group I had some close calls while passing trying to keep up. My ride has great power up to about 85 but after that it is a led sled and barely can make 100 wot. Is this normal? She runs great and is rocket in the lower gears. By the way they were amazed that I could keep up with them as several commented when we stopped for fuel. After that I told them I was doing the speed limit so ride on without me. It was lonely but much less stressful, lol.

Spyder Garage

Its a touring bike not a sport bike ! If you want to drive foolish and take chances with your life then go for it but while your out there trying to do 100 taking chances you put me and everyone else out there at risk .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

If you want to do the ton, buy a Busa.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I rode with a group of 2 wheel riders that were heavy on the throttle this weekend and as I was at the tail end of the group I had some close calls while passing trying to keep up. My ride has great power up to about 85 but after that it is a led sled and barely can make 100 wot. Is this normal? She runs great and is rocket in the lower gears. By the way they were amazed that I could keep up with them as several commented when we stopped for fuel. After that I told them I was doing the speed limit so ride on without me. It was lonely but much less stressful, lol.
    I've noticed this also. My RT doesn't have the acceleration that my GS did... so I've had to adjust my passing zone parameters... allow more room for passing. When riding in a group, passing needs to be considered an INDIVIDUAL decision.. not a group one. Each person needs to determine if they have enough room. Sometimes if I'm in the lead and pass some cars, I'll hang out in the left lane for an extended amount to let those behind me know it's still clear ahead... but those cases are pretty rare.

Indeed, the RT is a touring bike and needs to be treated as such.

------------------

Those bashing this rider for going fast need to ease up. You don't know the area or circumstances of him going 100. Maybe he's in an area where it's allowed? Plenty of areas in Texas are 85 mph where people go 100. I cruise 85-90 quite often... and have been up to 128 on my GS. Maybe you guys need to take a ride with some of us Hooligans sometime......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

cow towen hop up kit call for moore hp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When people ask me about my Spyder I tell them It plays best up to about 85 and that it doesn't play at a 100 plus like my BMW would but that's good as I'm getting to old to do that anymore and I was lucky for all the trips I made where I covered a couple hundred miles in a couple hours or less scary to think back on that now
    2 happy happy spyders

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Teddy's take: IT IS WHAT IT IS Folks

There will always be those that try to get blood out of a turnip, but they usually just end up with stained hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Its a touring bike not a sport bike ! If you want to drive foolish and take chances with your life then go for it but while your out there trying to do 100 taking chances you put me and everyone else out there at risk .
    The voice of reason...Are you trained in driving at high speed???(apparently many on this forum claim to be...ya right.)
    Slow down and live.
    Last edited by Eraser; 08-21-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: I can't Spell.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've noticed this also. My RT doesn't have the acceleration that my GS did...
    That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that simple.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=NancysToy;502853]That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does personal transparency have a role in the Forum social responsibility?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

with everyone comments on the RT's power. Sorry Bluestratos, but the RT was designed with more torque for pulling trailers, so it does impact passing at high speeds. I did manage to kick my RT with the RT-622 trailer at 120 mph, but I could tell that I had to hit the throttle hard for this, and I was passing a dumptruck that was going 85 in a 60 zone. Although I did enjoy it, it was not a pretty experience (for my wife anyway). Moral of the story: The high speed on the RT is there, but it's not meant to be a speedtrike.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the RT geared different than the RS, or is it just the changes to the engine to add low end torque at the expense of HP?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Perhaps just a tiny little bit of clarification..
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That shouldn't come as a surprise. It is 35% heavier, has less horspower, has more frontal area, and carries more cargo. You don't expect a Chevy Tahoe to have Corvette performance, and you probably shouldn't expect an RT to be leader of the pack, either. It isn't knocking anybody's desire to go fast, just their expectations for doing so on the vehicle they have selected. If you want to go to the moon, you need to buy a rocket ship...it's that simple.

I knew what I was in for when I switched to the RT. My perspective was that it wasn't anywhere near as 'doggish' as people were saying out here... and I still maintain that perspective.

Spyder Garage

Keep it out of 5th gear as long as you can. My personal practice when passing is to make sure I have plenty of room and use as little of it as possible. Drop one gear and wide open till I get back in line. Plus with the Two Brothers exhaust, it just sounds cool as hell.

Ride within YOUR limits not the limits of the machine you are on and everything will work out.... most of the time. It sounds to me like you figured out where your limit was and let the other guys go.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Lol... I love this place,,,

I was asking if I had a problem not for anyones oppinion on how I ride or the risks I choose to take, lol. So back to the question, is this typical of the bike to puke out around 100?

I was running red line in each gear, even pulled over red line in 4th. I understand this is a touring bike, lol, but is this best it can do for top end

If you got 120 pulling a trailer then I must have something amiss.

By the way, no offense taken by the off topic comments made here but for the future I need not hear them.

Regards,

Randy
    Last edited by bluestratos; 08-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I recall reading that 105 was about the limit where wind resistance exceeds HP...

Spyder Garage

I do not have a complaint about the power the RTS puts out. For me, IMO, the RT is fast enough to do most passing that I would do. I am a speed limit plus 5 person and content with that. I only use the 5th gear when I am cruising at 65 or more on the expressway. Cranking it to 80+ in fourth is as exciting as I prefer to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ahhh, that makes sense then, I may have gotten to 105 given enough time. Thanks :-)

Spyder Garage

Ahhh, that makes sense then, I may have gotten to 105 given enough time. Thanks :-)
    I have seen 102 or 103 a couple times but have run out of flat straight road before I could get it any faster than that. I have a flat straight road to try it on and as soon as the corn is gone, I can see for about a mile in every direction.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Thats Heavy!!! I gonna try to figure that out while I,m Burning down the backrounds on my GS this afternoon?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

No... just push that throttle all the way down in 5th gear, have an angry dumptruck driver trying to pass you on a 4 lane-merging-into-2-in-half-a-mile rural highway and a wife screaming half her wits on your ear. And it took a good 30-40 seconds to go from 65 to 120.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

lol... Ok... under those circumstances I fully understand, lol...not a fair fight by the truck driver.. jeeeeez, lol

Spyder Garage

Lol... I love this place,,,

I was asking if I had a problem not for anyones oppinion on how I ride or the risks I choose to take, lol. So back to the question, is this typical of the bike to puke out around 100?

I was running red line in each gear, even pulled over red line in 4th. I understand this is a touring bike, lol, but is this best it can do for top end

By the way, no offense taken by the off topic comments made here but for the future I need not hear them.

Regards,

Randy
    I think you're Spyder is just fine. Not sure about someone going 120 with a trailer and a passenger..... maybe on an extreme downhill, with the wind behind them......