Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RTS in the shop today

I have been keeping quiet for the last week waiting to see what is going to transpire with my 2010 RTS.

We took a trip to Homer AK (about 300 miles South) from our location a week ago. My Spyder started throwing orange screens when I pulled into the parking lot at the motel where we were to stay. I got the ABS fault, the Engine light. I checked the oil and found it was about a half quart low. Finding the right oil was even a problem in Homer. Two auto parts places Napa and CarQuest. Only one had the synthetic 5/50--and I could not get the 5/40 as recommended. Adding oil made the code go away.

My fear was that the RTS was going to break down on the three hundred mile ride home. The closest dealer is back at home and nothing in Soldotna--the one town on the way back.

We stopped at Soldotna for gas and lunch--no problems. When we reached Turnagain Pass we made a pit stop. When I pulled onto the ramp to exit, the orange screen lit up again. Engine fault, orange screen. I shut the RT off and re-booted. Thankfully it started again and the orange screens went away.

We made a final stop for gas on Turnagain Arm and headed for home (Chugiak). I stopped at my mailbox and the ABS fault, Engine light, and orange screens came on again. The RT went into limp mode and I drove it the block home in limp mode.

Further attempts to start the RT, the engine light came on and would not go off. I made an appt. last Monday to bring in the RT today to have it looked at. I did not drive the RT all week. The RT started fine this morning but the engine light and orange screen came back on. I drove it the 5 miles to the dealership.

I am also scheduled to have the oil, filter, and general service done as well as the valve inspection and adjustment if needed since the bike now has 28,000 miles on it.

In addition, the cruise control stopped operating on the way home. It shows on/off, but will not engage.

Its interesting that all of a sudden I get all kinds of issues--the has been virtually trouble free up until this time. It has been serviced at regular intervals and I have not had a fear of driving all over Alaska. Now, I am scarred that the RTS will break down and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Also, am scarred at the cost of the pending service. The warranty is conveniently out. Dependability and cost seem to be most of the issues that we hear about on the site. I will let you know the outcome in a day or two--when we find out what is going on.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-20-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think the issue of dependability takes a good while to overcome. Our Spyder died in West Glacier and was in the shop for a week while we drove a rental car. At Spyderfest this year it again got weird and both times resulted in a new throttle body. Since then we've done only short trips, restoring our confidence little by bit. Will we ever use it on a long trip again? Dunno. In any event, good luck with your repair!
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If there's anything that's going to ruin the Spyder's success it's gonna be the lack of dealer support and the poor service provided..I brought my Spyder in for servicing and installation of after market parts on 3 different occasions and not one of them was done right yet they charged me hundreds of dollars. There is absolutely no way in hell that I'll bring my Spyder back to this dealer for anything...they'll never touch it again..I find it hard to believe that BRP isn't monitoring this but I won't be surprised when sales continue to fall due to terrible service, difficulty in getting replacement parts and receiving emergency service on the road..I love our Spyders, but one day enough is gonna be enough.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The last few months i had my Spyder, [08GS] every time i went out for a long ride i would be thinking to myself where are my sons and which one has my trailer in case i break down ''again''. Did not like that feeling. So over a year ago i traded it in.
    Sought of like a friend that let's you down, I could never trust it again!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question akspyderman, yur not a noobi by any means, & I hope you don't take this the wrong way

But did you check the error codes, and if so, what were they? And I'm sure you know the trusted routine of checking to make sure the battery cables and fuses and relays are all tight and seated. Have you had the TB update done? This does sound like what the end result very well may be, but only your dealer and time will tell

I know all to well from personal experience what it means to loose faith in your ryde, as we did our 2010 RT-S so much so, I couldn't ryde it anymore for fear of what was going to happen with it next, as it was just one thing after another after another etc....... all stemming from initial impropper dealer set-up upon delivery.

But as you said, you've not really had any issues til now, so hopefully this is just a minor hiccup and your dealer will be able to correct the issue quickly and get you back on the road without too much financial pain

Hindsight being 20/20, we always keep an extra quart of our favorite oil in the trunk whenever we're on the road........ just in case

Again, I mean no disrespect and hope you don't take anything that I've asked in a negative way, just trying to help and understand myself. Please keep us updated on how things progress. Teddy and I will be sending positive thoughts your way

Spyder Garage

Original battery? Maybe those harsh Alaskan winters have taken its toll on the battery?

Spyder Garage

loose relays,loose battery cable you must keep checking both of those things often they vibrate loose,and when they do all kinds of bad things happen,bad relay some have went bad .rember check often they vobrate loose.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Folks don't lose faith. I have been riding all kinds of bikes for the last 35 years and have gained and lost faith in all of them from one time to another. I had a great 1100 Moto Guzzi that used to either burn it's valves or foul its plugs, never did get the mixture right. Then there was that great BMW GS 650 that used to eat its worm gears on it's shaft drive. Of course who could forget the Yamaha cruiser that was a pyromaniac's dream bike, burned twice! It think its because we all love our Spyders so much that we feel jilted when they let us down. Anything mechanical not only can but will read at some point. Years ago 28,000 with no issues would have been unthinkable in the 1970's. The most inportant add on mod for our bikes is patience, a sense of humor and a credit card!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Folks don't lose faith. I have been riding all kinds of bikes for the last 35 years and have gained and lost faith in all of them from one time to another. I had a great 1100 Moto Guzzi that used to either burn it's valves or foul its plugs, never did get the mixture right. Then there was that great BMW GS 650 that used to eat its worm gears on it's shaft drive. Of course who could forget the Yamaha cruiser that was a pyromaniac's dream bike, burned twice! It think its because we all love our Spyders so much that we feel jilted when they let us down. Anything mechanical not only can but will read at some point. Years ago 28,000 with no issues would have been unthinkable in the 1970's. The most inportant add on mod for our bikes is patience, a sense of humor and a credit card!
    I think that in addition to loving our Spyder's so much, we may feel jilted/disappointed because they are so pricey to begin with. (Much) More money for repairs on top of an already costly item is a hard pill to swallow - perhaps more so if they are still fairly new.

Spyder Garage

I've said this before in a previous post, so forgive me if i sound like a broken record.
    I've had my Spyder in the shop about 19 times since Feb of 2010 when I bought it.
    About 14 of them for warranty repairs of one sort or other.
    BRP's customer support is excellent beyond compare. Excellent!
    I really like the "Y" architecture of the vehicle far more than a standard trike.
    The moment Honda builds a reverse trike, BRP is toast.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I've said this before in a previous post, so forgive me if i sound like a broken record.
    I've had my Spyder in the shop about 19 times since Feb of 2010 when I bought it.
    About 14 of them for warranty repairs of one sort or other.
    BRP's customer support is excellent beyond compare. Excellent!
    I really like the "Y" architecture of the vehicle far more than a standard trike.
    The moment Honda builds a reverse trike, BRP is toast.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    i agree with the honda comment.
    my friend jack has an 05 goldwing with 135k on it and has never broken down.

Spyder Garage

Default Wings

Rode them for years without so much as a hick up. Much less a cooked foot.

I REALLY like the Spyder.

The only reason I would go back is if I become convinced BRP is not listening.

Then, they will have made the decision for me.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I just did near 3500 miles on my 2008 GS and no where near any dealers most of the time. She purred the whole way. Ran better this trip than she ever did. No grumbles... no issues. Added 1/3 quart of oil about 2500 miles into the trip.

I have yet to have a serious issue on any of my trips and the minor ones have been solved quickly by dealers along the way.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just jealous of the new ryde that is parked next to it??
    Everybody has pointed you in what sould hopefully be the right direction; Good Luck! Please let us know what it turns out to be!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Update: So far, they found debris on the brake cable causing the brake to not shut off completely. Where have we heard this before? I now know of three of us who have ridden in AK and have experienced the same problem. My cruise control switch is toast and they have to order another one. The jury is still out for the valve inspection/adjustment. So far, no major items seem to be broken or malfunctioning. I am having the spark plugs replaced also. I will know more later today or tomorrow.

RE: Battery was considering replacing, but that does not seem to be the cause of the issue. Spyder has been in a heated garage since day one. Only left out a couple nights when I have travelled away from home. Kept on a battery tender during the long winter "sleep".
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Update: So far, they found debris on the brake cable causing the brake to not shut off completely. Where have we heard this before? I now know of three of us who have ridden in AK and have experienced the same problem. My cruise control switch is toast and they have to order another one. The jury is still out for the valve inspection/adjustment. So far, no major items seem to be broken or malfunctioning. I am having the spark plugs replaced also. I will know more later today or tomorrow.
    Are you replacing the wires too?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

That's probably a good idea. I will catch them on the way into work this AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Are you replacing the wires too?
    When I did my plugs at 18,000 I also did the wires while the airbox was off!
    You don,t want to pay them again for taking it apart?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I absolutely totally agree, replace the wires as long as you are replacing the plugs.

Try to get BajaRon's wires. FAR superior to the OEM wires, and get iridium plugs while you are at it. That way, you shouldn't have to go near the plugs and wires for a good long time. Evidently the OEM wires only last for about 15,000 miles.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I am up an running again. $1000.00 later. Mentioned elsewhere, but, valves did not need adjusting at 28,000 miles. All the computer problems seemed to have been caused the the brake switch not shutting all the way off.

Cruise control switch on order--so I still have to pay for that.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Debri in brake switch

Glad your up and running again. Remember when I had the "Orange Screen" problem between Wasilla and Tok and you suggested that some crud from the road might have gotten into the brake linkage; well you were right and apparantly it happened to you also. I washed my linkage area out real good after you mentioned the possibility to me and I didn't have the brake light on problem the rest of the way back to Wyoming. Looks as though I will have to have the shift switch replaaced and the shift points reset but for now I'm resting and will take the bike in later this week. Again glad your up and running and thanks again for all the help, advice and council on my trip. Dick