Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Thread about Heat And The RTs

Okay... So I've been watching all of the complaints about the heat coming out from under the RT's Tupperware. Feet bursting into flames, overcooked sneakers, etc...
    So yesterday I stuck a paw down into the stream of air coming out the Right-hand side; it's real warm, but it seems to be pushed outward away from the rider...
    How many of the folks who are limping on cooked feet have added footpegs or rests up in that stream of air?
    Now; My ISCI floorboards are set up in the lowest of four mounting positions; my feet are clearly below that airflow... No problem!
    Any opinions???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Teddys Paws stay nice and cool, while I couldn't claim the same, til SpyderPops

Teds Red Sled being an 2011 SpyderFest Eddition from CowTown came with the Kewl Metal Wing-Cover pegs already installed and you are correct Bob they put your right foot directly into the scorching jet stream and yeah, I've actually had the sole of my boot come undone from 2 months of ryding "In the HEAT" so to speak. As soon as I found our "misplaced" SpyderPops Heat Shield and reinstalled it All is well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave! I appreciate this input; I fear that an awful lot of the complaints may have actually been "owner-inflicted".
    I can't actually suggest this because it's probably stupid and dangerous; but if somebody with the stock footpegs could check out where that airflow is in relation to their feet it would really be useful...

Spyder Garage

By account of owners of this mod, Baker Wings are helpful in this issue (I do not own them). In the summer time, you can set the wings to deflect the heat, while in the winter they can be use to contain the heat in the area. Like I said, I am just repeating what Baker Wing owners have reviewed...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Cool Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Dave! I appreciate this input; I fear that an awful lot of the complaints may have actually been "owner-inflicted".
    I can't actually suggest this because it's probably stupid and dangerous; but if somebody with the stock footpegs could check out where that airflow is in relation to their feet it would really be useful...
    Nope Stock RT and still burns not only my leg but my passengers foot as well. I think it depends on the temps your riding in.

Spyder Garage

Okay... So I've been watching all of the complaints about the heat coming out from under the RT's Tupperware. Feet bursting into flames, overcooked sneakers, etc...
    So yesterday I stuck a paw down into the stream of air coming out the Right-hand side; it's real warm, but it seems to be pushed outward away from the rider...
    How many of the folks who are limping on cooked feet have added footpegs or rests up in that stream of air?
    Now; My ISCI floorboards are set up in the lowest of four mounting positions; my feet are clearly below that airflow... No problem!
    Any opinions???
    Nope--I'm a bit further south than you are and I can attest to the fact that there is plenty of hot air in a warmer climate on the right foot even with stock pegs. You're correct that the outbound radiator airflow is angled away from the rider. Unfortunately, as you add speed to the equation, the warm air is now forced directly back. As there is much less airflow on the right foot due to blockage a lower pressure area results with the high pressure forced air now curving in to fill that void. Thankfully that air is not being pushed down, so if you can get our foot lower, that should work. You can also raise that airflow by blocking the lower outlet only.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post
    Nope Stock RT and still burns not only my leg but my passengers foot as well. I think it depends on the temps your riding in.

Never had a problem with hot air coming from under the RT, or up the front of the saddle. Perhaps that's because I have no heat mods on my RT. The problem I've had from day one is a cooked right foot. Only use the stock pegs and always wear boots.

So Bob, how is that self inflicted?
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-02-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No highway pegs or running boards for me but the heat melted the glue on my boots. I have the Spyderpops thing for cooling.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Just stock footpegs, and the only heat issue I had was from the catalytic converter area, and I'll admit that I don't always wear boots so I guess that's owner inflicted. I got the spyderpops cat heat shields and they do the trick for me.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that my 'boards are putting my gunboats beneath the airflow... They are much lower than the pegs were.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Has Fonz mentioned having a hot foot with the Vertika floorboards he has?

Spyder Garage

I answered your question and hope you find it useful. Whatever that means.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually I'm curious. I've seen all of the threads about excessive heat, so I was wondering if it might be more a matter of where the feet are being put. My floorboards have my feet much lower than most; but I've also got diabetic neuropathy; I just don't feel my feet. I stuck a paw into the airflow, and it semed to be pretty much outboard of where my feet and legs were.
    So... Do my boards keep me from experiencing the problem?
    Do the stock pegs have the airflow issues?
    Do forward footpegs make the situation worse??

Just wondering... Perhaps some tinkering with the air diverters (Or some Baker-Builts) would work without have to block the airflow off completely...

Spyder Garage

I feel the heat especially if I where gym shoes. When I wear my riding boots (Redwings, not steel toe) It really doesn't bother me. Next long ride I go on I am going to tape a bag of microwave popcorn over the opening. That way when I have to stop for gas I'll have a nice hot snack.

Stock pegs no extra covers.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still have no extras... Original footpegs. I never experienced the hot foot issue, but one day while riding in shorts, my shin got quite warm.

I also noticed the other week while fyding home from Charleston, that my foot was getting warm. The temps weren't any hotter than any other day, maybe a few degrees cooler, but the airflow was different around the bike. I can't explain the airflow thing, but the wind noise was different, I couldn't set the windscreen to any height that would reduce noise / buffetting... I just chalked it up to maybe a wierd crossbreeze. That was the only time I have felt the hot foot though.

BTW... I'm trying to figure out how to pipe that warm air up to the riders for January riding...

Spyder Garage

Actually I'm curious. I've seen all of the threads about excessive heat, so I was wondering if it might be more a matter of where the feet are being put. My floorboards have my feet much lower than most; but I've also got diabetic neuropathy; I just don't feel my feet. I stuck a paw into the airflow, and it semed to be pretty much outboard of where my feet and legs were.
    So... Do my boards keep me from experiencing the problem?
    Do the stock pegs have the airflow issues?
    Do forward footpegs make the situation worse??

Just wondering... Perhaps some tinkering with the air diverters (Or some Baker-Builts) would work without have to block the airflow off completely...
    Like someone said in previous post. It's like chasing a moving target. Or, it could be that mods move the target and create a new set of issues. Air from the front of the seat could be one of those. We all do mods for personal reasons. Such as safety, additional lights, saddles for comfort, chrome for looks. Who wants to chase a moving target. Not me.

Spyder Garage

Most people lay back from discussing the heat issue. For political or personal reasons? I don't know.

What I do know...... it must be real. Just type Spyder hot foot into your favorite search engine.

Additionally, if there wasn't a real problem people wouldn't be selling heat relief products. Would they?

Spyder Garage

The only time my right foot would get hot was when I would rest it up where a hwy peg would go. Then it was really hot. I added spyderpops blockoff plate at spyderfest and they took off the bottom cover and now I can rest my feet up where the hwy pegs would go if I had any. (I rest my feet on the little plastic air wings). My wife rides in tennis shoes as a passenger and has never said a word about hot feet. But I haven't ask either. I don't want any manifested problems. We have ridden in some really hot weather too. I think my RT runs cooler now with the bottom plate off that spyderpops removed. I'm HAPPY!

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Hot foot

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRyder View Post
    Has Fonz mentioned having a hot foot with the Vertika floorboards he has?
    I've been pretty good so far, but when I went to Tennessee it was extremely hot down there, and I think it was starting to heat up a little bit. My wife said she was getting kind of hot around her foot. I think I put on everything you can possibly put on your bike from Spyderpops and ISCI

Went to Tennessee, and it was extremely hot down there, and my foot was starting to get kind of warm. My wifes foot was starting to get warm as well. I put on everything from Spyderpops and ISCI. Hope I put everything on right
    Me & My Babycakes

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot foot, hot leg........HOT

I have the Seal Floorboards Delux on my RT. All I know is Texas is 'ing HOT and my bike generates massive amounts of heat that just adds to it. I wear boots and my right foot feels like it is on fire most of the time. I move my feet around a lot........like jumping beans trying to get relief. My right shin also gets blasted. Not fun at all.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default STOCK

Just came back from 2 week trip, a couple of +100 degree days, rest upper 80's low 90's. Was the RT hot? You bet but with stock foot pegs feet never felt any hotter than the left foot. I too have been following all the different links to how hot the RT is. Wondering how many folks who have a problem rode 2 wheels, especially Harleys. All bikes are by nature hot especially in the "netherlands".....so riding the RT, heat wise, has not been all that different from the Harley. If the Can-Am is your first bike I can see where it would feel extremely hot to you. But, in my humble opinion, I don't find any more uncomfortable than the 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    Just came back from 2 week trip, a couple of +100 degree days, rest upper 80's low 90's. Was the RT hot? You bet but with stock foot pegs feet never felt any hotter than the left foot. I too have been following all the different links to how hot the RT is. Wondering how many folks who have a problem rode 2 wheels, especially Harleys. All bikes are by nature hot especially in the "netherlands".....so riding the RT, heat wise, has not been all that different from the Harley. If the Can-Am is your first bike I can see where it would feel extremely hot to you. But, in my humble opinion, I don't find any more uncomfortable than the 2 wheeler.
    Trust me we're not imagining in. I have about 300k on 2 wheelers, some hot, most not. I went as far as taking IR temp shots when i first got Spyder. Right tennis shoe would read at least 20 degrees higher than left. I plugged the bottom hole and put on cat shields and now the readings are only a couple of degrees different.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    Can only speak for myself and I've been riding for 55 years. I too know what NORMAL heat or expected heat issues are. What I experience on the Spyder is NEITHER. Glad you had a good trip with ONLY a couple of days at 100 degrees. Come down my way.....that's the norm.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Rt was one of the ones with blistering heat issues. I do ride with boots and on a 95 degree day had to pull over and take off my boot, because it was flat on fire and no denying it. My foot was red and swollen and pretty tought to get back into my boot. My wife complained that her right side was too toasty as well.

Got the SpyderPops top block off plate and cat shields, which my wife loved, but did little for my flaming foot. Added the FanCan and now my foot was finally comfortable. It does tend to blow heat up through the gap between the seat and tupperware to some degree and wife complains a bit more, but at least we're out riding. There would be no way I would be able to put up with the flamin foot when temps got to be 10+ degrees hotter.

I've thought about taking off the FanCan and cutting holes in the swoop area, but that's a pretty permenant mod. If it did the same or more for blowing air around the seat, I would essentially damage the bike for no gain.

I have not tried blocking off the bottom port only and leaving the top open. It just seems it would redirect more air on the boss and she wouldn't be too happy about that. Perhaps someone could chime in who's tried the combo and tell us the result?

So I guess the heat around the seat is self inflicted, but still sure beats the heck out of a flamin foot. Stock was absolutely unbearable in Phoenix, so something had to be done.

Spyder Garage

I didn't have a problem on my '09 GS, although I had mods too help cool it down. On my 2012 RT limited I have not done any mods. Always wear heavy boots. I have not had any problems with hot foot as of yet with stock foot pegs. 200 hundred miles have been going around forty mph. in two group rides of 200 or more bikes. So far so good. Put on 700 miles in the past 2 weeks.