Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Attempt to steal Spyder

3 AM this morning there was anattempt to steal my son's 2010 RS. They tried to drag it
    for loading but for some unknown reason I woke up and interrupted their attempt. Unfortunatly
    they got away but without the Spyder. They drug it about 20' with the brake on and in gear which left
    quite a trench in the yard. their getting away might have saved me from going to jail as I had every intent
    to drop them for good. Now we are getting a lot more police presents through the area.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Glad you saved the spyder and you didn't get into a scuffle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    3 AM this morning there was anattempt to steal my son's 2010 RS. They tried to drag it
    for loading but for some unknown reason I woke up and interrupted their attempt. Unfortunatly
    they got away but without the Spyder. They drug it about 20' with the brake on and in gear which left
    quite a trench in the yard. their getting away might have saved me from going to jail as I had every intent
    to drop them for good. Now we are getting a lot more police presents through the area.
    Glad they didn't get it.. also glad you didn't have interaction with them. It's a motorcycle with insurance... not worth harming yourself or someone else over.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Glad the outcome was good. The dummies probably would not have figured out how to start it if they had been successful in stealing it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad the outcome was good. The dummies probably would not have figured out how to start it if they had been successful in stealing it.
    I agree since they didn't have the smarts or knowledge to release the parking brake or take it out of gear.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Sure it wasn't just vandalism, i.e. "Let's drag this bike around the yard and cause trouble?"

Reason being I just can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to steal a Spyder. You can't start it without the key, you can't service them anywhere but BRP dealers, and there ain't exactly a robust aftermarket for chopping these out.

Right now we've got the Spyder and a Vespa parked in our driveway. I park the Spyder and walk away. I lock the Vespa's handlebars, attach a grip lock, and chain lock the rear wheel to the neighbor's fence. I'm still more afraid of someone stealing the Vespa.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Dave, you're right about it being a stupid target, but you're giving the criminals way too much credit regarding intelligence.
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Thanks for sharing and glad it ended the way it did

Now lets hope these "Brainiacs" don't get on here to educate themselves about "how to" and try a repeat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't it just drive you NUTZ when these think that they've got the right to take stuff that your family has worked hard for?
    Well... I'm glad that youdidn't end up in the back of a cruiser for catching them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Attempt to steal

Glad that you were able to run them off without getting into a conflict, we have to protect ourselves but sometime we are better off if we can do it without a confrontation.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Now lets hope these "Brainiacs" don't get on here to educate themselves about "how to" and try a repeat
    I don't know that they would still know how to steal it, if they're dumb enough to try it the first time. Both of ours are in the garage, so less temptation. We don't have a lot of trouble around here, but don't want to tempt anyone either. Glad all ended well.

Spyder Garage

Starting instructions for non spyder owners.

push the brake pedel 16 times,
    turn the handle bars right to left (left to right if your left handed) 4 times
    Stand on the right side of the left front wheel
    Reach across to the starter button with the left hand, may need to stretch a little.
    Spyder should start, key not required

Remember: the A.S.S. rule
    Always Steal Safely, never attempt to steal a spyder without your bullet proof vest, always ware a helmet and most of all,, remember how to spell 911 for medical emergencies.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Reason being I just can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to steal a Spyder.
    "People" post videos of criminal acts they commit on youtube, facebook and everywhere else, then can't understand how they got caught. There surely are people dumb enough to attempt this.

I recall the reports of burglary sprees in homes where the owners were on vacation. The connecting thread was that the owners posted online when and how long they were going on vacation.

I'm never surprised by the dumb things people do, when at another time I've have thought it unimaginable. Humanity moving forward?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Dave, you're right about it being a stupid target, but you're giving the criminals way too much credit regarding intelligence.
    Heh, I know.

I'm generally more concerned about professional bike thieves. Those types typically don't go after targets of opportunity, they'll instead spot a bike parked somewhere and note it for future use, i.e. if they get a request in for a particular model they know where to get it. They're the types who do the research to know how to steal a specific model, bust locks, disconnect alarms, etc. And yes, some even go so far as to have ways to clone electronic key fobs.

Just last year my brother's HD Street Glide, a beautiful bike with tons of chrome/aftermarket stuff galore, was recently stolen out of his condo building's parking garage in L.A. A luxury high-rise, "guarded" 24/7, and somebody got the bike into the back of a van and drove right on out, no questions asked. The reasonable assumption is the thieves paid the parking garage attendant money to look the other way, and unfortunately, my brother's bike was parked in a spot that was completely out of sight of security cameras. Poof, gone like that.

Now, the bike couldn't be ridden-- electronic key fob and all-- but everybody knows you can part out a Harley faster than I can type this post.

Thankfully, the Spyder's quirks help make it unnattractive (so far) to professional thieves. You can't ride it away to steal or joyride, it's too big for people to pick up and toss into a pickup bed or van, and the aftermarket isn't there to part it out. If the Spyder keeps increasing in popularity it'll be interesting if the thieves get more interested or not.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Starting instructions for non spyder owners.

push the brake pedel 16 times,
    turn the handle bars right to left (left to right if your left handed) 4 times
    Stand on the right side of the left front wheel
    Reach across to the starter button with the left hand, may need to stretch a little.
    Spyder should start, key not required

Remember: the A.S.S. rule
    Always Steal Safely, never attempt to steal a spyder without your bullet proof vest, always ware a helmet and most of all,, remember how to spell 911 for medical emergencies.
    Always remember: Hope for the best; but prepare for the worst...

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately... Dropping them in your yard would have been criminal on your part - I say this as a gun owner and concealed carry holder myself... So I'm glad you scared them off.

For those who don't think there is much of a parts market... When what you steal is indeed free to you, then the parting out is gravy... There are many people on this board or ebay that want new panels, or spares even if used. Do not discount that.

Did they have a flatbed? Seems to be the common vehicle for stealing bikes.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I put alarm on my RS, it's worth the time and money.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Unfortunately... Dropping them in your yard would have been criminal on your part - I say this as a gun owner and concealed carry holder myself... So I'm glad you scared them off.
    Had you parked them on the lawn, you would have had to explain to the LEOs that they had weapons with them and you felt threatened... you shot in self-defense!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not In Texas

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

For those who don't think there is much of a parts market... When what you steal is indeed free to you, then the parting out is gravy... There are many people on this board or ebay that want new panels, or spares even if used. Do not discount that.

Did they have a flatbed? Seems to be the common vehicle for stealing bikes.
    Here you have the right to protect yourself AND your property from such , Guess I'm just lucky there's a river behind my house full of gators and garr,, My sign on my storage reads "Did YOU call 911 before entering without an invitation?"
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WTC/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

zrc

I live far enough out and make a habit of shooting in the "front yard" enough that no one would call the cops, then its just backhoe time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really envy you guys...
    If I so much as shoot ONE that desperately needs it; they'd throw me in jail and lose the key!
    Is all of Tennessee that smart, or just pockets of brilliance?
    Sorry... Texas is just too darn hot for me; I can't sweat that fast anymore!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I really envy you guys...
    If I so much as shoot ONE that desperately needs it; they'd throw me in jail and lose the key!
    Is all of Tennessee that smart, or just pockets of brilliance?
    Sorry... Texas is just too darn hot for me; I can't sweat that fast anymore!
    And who are you to decide who 'needs' shooting and who doesn't?

C'mon.. really... for stealing something from your yard. Sure it isn't right for someone to do that... but shooting them for it?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Glad that the spider was not taken. I have Lo-Jack installed on my RT-L. It is not available in all states but if it is there it might be worth looking into. They guarantee to recover the vehicle within 24 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    And who are you to decide who 'needs' shooting and who doesn't?

C'mon.. really... for stealing something from your yard. Sure it isn't right for someone to do that... but shooting them for it?
    Yeah, just let them go, so they can do the same to 10 or 15 other people before they get nabbed. Then , of course, it'll be regarded as a first offense, so they'll get no jail time.

Vermin!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy John View Post
    Yeah, just let them go, so they can do the same to 10 or 15 other people before they get nabbed. Then , of course, it'll be regarded as a first offense, so they'll get no jail time.

Vermin!
    Gotta agree with Firefly on this one. Stealing property from the yard is now a capital offense? Without a trial?
    Dan