Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat in the Seat.....Ouch!

I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! Lol

I'm brainstorming on something to put over it. What do you guys use?

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Get some white material and make "sheet" that goe from the grab bar to the windshield. sew holes and use light bungee cords.
    I would love to see somebody make a light covered "washable" cover that would go over the Trunk and the windshield.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! I'm brainstorming on something to put over it. What do you guys use?
    I ryde Teds Red Sled every day in ALL weather conditions, but I've never really had an issue with the seat being too hot (Guess I have a fatter A*s than I thought-)

We do have the travel cover and I suppose, if the seat temp bothered me too much, that I'd just put the travel cover on, as it only takes a minute or two to put on and take off, and it covers the entire top of the byke, so the seat should not be scalding like you say yours is. I have also seen a local RS ryder that uses a beach towel when he parks in the sun, but you'd have to have a way of weighing or strapping it down.

Ive also seen many other ryders with many different types of seat pads, like those Dyna-Beads and the Air-Cushions, maybe something like one of these might help as well Good luck & let us know what helps you out

zrc

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...alf_cover.html

Easy stuff there. Cheap, works, and cool.

Spyder Garage

I have an Alaska Leather buttpad (aka sheepskin) and it works great! I never have to worry about hot buns and it removes quickly with the clips on each side.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...over%2C/Detail

Otherwise, if you're looking for a real inexpensive option, you can raise your seat and wrap a towel around it, then lower it and lock the towel ends under the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anthing that you can throw over the seat and secure so that it won't blow away will do the trick... Throw it in the frunk when it's time to hit the road and you're good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm sure there are many spyderlovers who love riding the spyder to work like I do. But man does it hurt to sit on the spyder after it's been sitting for a few hours in non-shaded 104 degree heat! Lol

I'm brainstorming on something to put over it. What do you guys use?

Check out these SeatSkinz from CoverAlls.

http://www.coveralls.biz/store/motorcycles/
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Beadrider keeps my butt off the seat-- even though it's black there's enough of a gap that it's never too hot sitting down on a hot day.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that this summer the heat coming *through* my seat while riding is getting unbearable. I don't know why that is (I swapped out my exhaust gaskets for the Honda gaskets in the spring, there shouldn't be any additional heat coming up), but I've found I can't use either the Airhawk *or* the sheepskin without getting waaay too much saddle heat coming up while riding. The Beadrider is frankly all I can stand to use these days, and even then I find myself needing to splay my legs out on my highway pegs from time to time to rush enough airflow under my butt to cool it off.

Last year I bought some reflective tape to put underneath my seat/side panels, I'm going to try that once I have a cool-enough day to work on the bike. I just find it funny how I've always been an outlier-- I never had *right* side heat problems (and definitely don't now, not with Spyderpops gear on the bike), but my left side and saddle have always been crazy heat sources on the bike, even after the gaskets were replaced.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

2 solutions: Beadrider, and Cool Ass seat cover.

http://genuinecoolass.com/

http://www.beadrider.com/

Highly recommended from a place where 104 is considered "not too bad"
    pe 792; Hindle, performance filter, O2 mod, custom seat, NMN risers, F1 Slider, cowl vents, cold air induction, Triple play, Tipz kit, highway pegs, Kury ISO pegs, grips and throttle lock, 3 gal aux Tour Tank on custom rack.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took an old beach towel and attached elastic to the corners. It goes around the mirrors and over the rear trunk.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can't beat the sheepskin as far as I'm concerned....

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Used it on the RS and use it on the RT. Easy on & off. Durable. Very light weight. Really small when rolled up. Totally keeps the seat cool and is rain proof.
    Last edited by tofriendscreek; 06-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

The travel cover works well, if you don't have to worry about some one needing it more than you do.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Lots of great options guys. Thanks....I was thinking of the towel idea also, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being a Mississippian....LOL

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Default Heat in the seat

When we are done riding I just take my helmet off and lay it on my seat and my wife does the same thing. So far this has worked for us. It's cheap and as long as no one wants your helmet as badly as you, you should be fine.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Beadrider for some 50,000 miles now. I finaly had to paint it this year because it got faded. And no one is likely to steal it. It is by far the most ugly and useful thing I have added.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    I have an Alaska Leather buttpad (aka sheepskin) and it works great! I never have to worry about hot buns and it removes quickly with the clips on each side.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...over%2C/Detail

Otherwise, if you're looking for a real inexpensive option, you can raise your seat and wrap a towel around it, then lower it and lock the towel ends under the seat.
    We also have the Alaska Leather sheepskins and they work really well. Keeps the seat cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and always more comfortable to sit on.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Use a lightweight cover such as this:
    nelsonrigg.JPG
    Not only does it keep the seat cool it also protects against UV rays which will fade and deteriorate your expensive to replace seat and dash. It also protects against rain and keeps the kids off your Spyder when it's parked and you're away. It hides your GPS and other mods. It easily compresses into a tiny area and takes very little room in the trunk. I can put it on or take it off in less than 30 seconds. I don't know why everyone doesn't use one.

Spyder Garage

Default Hot Seat

I use one made by Cycle Shade here in CA. www.cycleshade.com You won't see a spyder pic on the website but the shade that fits the GoldWing will fit the RT. It has two parts, One covers the Windscreen and the other covers the seat. Love mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I took an old beach towel and attached elastic to the corners. It goes around the mirrors and over the rear trunk.

me 2 works great

Spyder Garage

kontour seat does not get hot(its mesh) and flows air nicely.

Features & benefits: http://kontourseat.com/id2.html
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking of the towel idea also, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being a Mississippian....LOL
    I couldn't even begin to keep track of where I was in a word like that if I had to type it!

Kind of like "banana"; only much more interesting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Can't beat the sheepskin as far as I'm concerned....
    I bought the Alaska Sheep skin and its Great BUT on a Hot , Humid day like today I just put on the Beadriders for circulation under your Rear and Baby Powder you know where before?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cheap not so easy

I cheated, as I run a fabric store. Grabbed so knit fabric, either matching or for my prototype, white. A lil elastic around the edges. That was the not so easy part. Painted on a couple of spiders. Now I throw my leg over, never worrying about heat. Never having to move a bike cover, and just throw it in the wash.

V
    Phantom F3-S
    Maker of shiny objects...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post

Used it on the RS and use it on the RT. Easy on & off. Durable. Very light weight. Really small when rolled up. Totally keeps the seat cool and is rain proof.
    Which one did you have for your RS... the DS, DSXL or the CS?