Thread: New to Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyder

Hi guys,I bought a 2012 Red Touring model RT? a few days ago and just got into the forum. Just want to say hi and I am in Lake Wales Florida and had to trade in my 2008 Goldwing (loaded and maxed out in chrome) because of my back problems. I was getting scared of dropping the bike and had lost confidence in being able to handle the heavy ass bike. The Spyder I bought has as much storage space as my wing and a decent sterio. I like the sound of the loud pipes on the Harleys but I like my rock and roll much more. I am hoping the new bike will let me ride more. I really really hated to part with the Wing but had to make a choice. Now if I can find a power source in the front of the spyder so I can hook up the gps and I-pod I will be set. I really don't under stand why the power outlett in the back and not one in the front or even the small storage area between the legs. I know it is probably covered in the forum and will be looking the next few days but just wanted to say hi to everyone.
    sluggo

Spyder Garage

Welcome.. Bienvenido.. Bem-vindo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

on your purchase. This is a great forum. Welcome to the world

Spyder Garage

Welcome from Melbourne!
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE

Welcome Aboard, Let the Par'tay beginMike....I also switched from a Wing and have not looked back.....you might want to look into J&M speakers I have heard (pun) some good things about them...and they are reasonable.....

Spyder Garage

sluggo, and on your new purchase.
    You came to the right place for all the information you'll ever need.
    Enjoy the ryde

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and from another ex-winger. I had a '05 that was totalled in an accident in '09. I'm getting back into riding after a three year absence and figured a spyder would be a better alternative to buying a new wing and having it triked. I'm not sure where Lake Wales is, but I'm in Panama City. Welcome again. Dale

Spyder Garage

Welcome Sluggo.

For information on power outlet:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...lets-installed

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the site and congrats on the ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new Ryde. There is a lot go great info hear and even better people
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Sluggo

Spyder Garage

Welcome!!!!! The Spyder is a second chance for many of us who could no longer ride on 2 wheels. There are some great knowledgeable people here, if you have questions ask, I am sure someone will know the answer!

Again, welcome!

Spyder Garage

I too I'm an ex wing-man, traded my 2006 for the RT, have not regretted it at all, love my spyder.

I agree I wish the glove box was a little larger and the wife misses the two little cubbyholes under the rear speakers but these are minor things.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hiya Sluggo!
    Welcome to the family and
    Now it's time to start farkling up that RED RTS!
    You'll have to put a pic of your old ride in here; I love to see 'Wings that have been "properly accessorized..."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi-jack alert!!!!

Ok as a lurker on this board and an owner of a Gold Wing, for those of you that moved to a Spyder from a Wing:
    • what attracted you to the Spyder over the Wing?
    • your thoughts on the torque curve as compared to the Wing? In other words, where does the Spyder start making power?
    • how does your SO like the seating as compared to the Wing?
    • what about the wind for your SO again as compared to the........?

Taking a long look at the Spyder versus a Wing before I buy my next bike.
    Thanks all.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

and
    You will definately find this forum to be educating, and helpful in explaining the unique aspects of these Spyders. A way around most every "issue" you may find will be here.
    Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krbos View Post
    Hi-jack alert!!!!

Ok as a lurker on this board and an owner of a Gold Wing, for those of you that moved to a Spyder from a Wing:
    • your thoughts on the torque curve as compared to the Wing? In other words, where does the Spyder start making power?

Thanks all.
    I had my wing back in 2006, moved from a VTX 1800. This was my first wing, loved the smooth quite torquey engine. However the ride was not as comfortable as I expected it to be, I had to put floorboards on to get ride of knee pain. Shock where hash hench lots of GL riders spend close to 6k putting on a full Monty kit. The biggest issue was for my wife she had real trouble getting on and off, she is small and would have to climb up, knee on seat and twist, to the point she stop ridding with me.

Don't get me wrong I liked the wing, a good all round bike, but I started to look for a new bike. Didn't feel that mother Honda had done enough with the 2012 model for me to buy another, I looked at the victory vision and a few others.

I got an offer of a demo event ride in the mail (proof that marketing does work) from can-am. I did a lot of research, joined this board and learned a lot. Took the spyder out for a very long test ride, fell in love with it. Traded the GL and I've never regretted it once. My reason had nothing to do with wanting 3 wheels, being in my late 40's I could still Handel the GL no fear of dropping. It was comfort, features, looks and just great fun to ride.

The Spyder is to me the perfect long distant touring machine. The wife loves it, she can get on and off real easy plus she can do all of this before I even get on the spyder. I did put seal floorboards on because I prefer boards to pegs. She uses these as a step up to the rear boards.

The engine on the spyder takes some getting used too, it likes too run at higher RPM, you feel the power 5k and up. You can not cruse at 30 mph in 5th gear. You have to stay above 3.5 k RPM, but you get used to it. It's a V-Twin so not as smooth but then again what else is, maybe the new BMW are the closest but I didn't like them either after the test ride. Anyone looking the the new BMW K1600 should look at the Concourse or the Goldwing, the BMW try's to be both rather than be good at one thing.

My wife loves the spyder, hated the GL with a passion to high, too much wind buffering. The spyder as motorized windscreen which the GL should have had years ago. Love that I can lower it then when we hit the highway just raise it up. The top buffering as gone lot smoother, not as much leg coverage especially in the rain as the GL but I'm going to order Baker Built Air Wings to take care of that.

I purchased the RT limited and prefere it over my wing any day, but I have read other stories on the GL riders forum whom have regretted the move. Take a test ride and see for you self. Local dealers in in MA will be happy to take you out. There is a demo event this weekend in north Conway NH.

BTW, the Spyder pulls our cargo trailer much better than the GL ever did.

im in Bellingham MA if your close your welcome to swing by and take a look, pm me.

My original thread

harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 06-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations Sluggo,

You have just landed in the middle of a pile of some of the best, friendliest and most knowledgable people you will ever come across. Welcome aboard and...........

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

&
    You've found the Best place on the WWW for ANYthing and EVERYthing Spyder related

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by krbos View Post
    Hi-jack alert!!!!

Thanks all.
    I just went from a 2008 GoldWing fully loaded with almost 9000.00 of chrome. I have a bad back and had lost my confidence on the wing as far as holding it up and going around curces,grass,gravel and such. Now I just put my foot on the footpeg and climb over the saddle.The spyder seems to be really well made and has a good music system as did my Goldwing. Some people like the loud pipes but I like the rock and roll. I could have went to a trike at a additional 18,000.00 plus using my bike. I only have a few hundred miles so far but am impressed with the tourer model I bought. The red one. It actually has more storage than the goldwing and a lot of access if you want them.Hope this helps bro
    sluggo