Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Reflections of the Owners Event in Durango, CO

Last year the Owners Event was held in Maggie Valley and that was great but I got cheated out of going on a long ride seeing that was pretty much in my backyard. Having the event in Durango was perfect for me as I've ridden the area before and I knew how great it was but I had never been there on a Spyder and that made it all the better. The ride out with friends help solidify an already great friendship and it made the miles go down easy when you share the road with your buddies. I ride solo a lot and it has it's advantages too but truth be known I would rather share the wind with my friends.

A group of us made it to Durango on Sunday and did a little sight seeing on Monday. The place was as I remembered it and I couldn't wait to hit the mountains even though we just traveled 2600 miles or so to get there. We did the Million Dollar Highway, Silverton and Ouray. Even though it was hot it was still very enjoyable. We had some good BBQ that night and hungout and kicked tires the rest of the night.

Ouray

Good BBQ

Tuesday BajaRon and I drove back down to Albuquerque, New Mexico to hookup with a group of folks meeting there to ride to Durango. I know it sounds crazy to ride to Albuquerque twice in two days but the plan was to be in Durango on Wednesday but we got an early start so our plans changed. To be honest I really didn't want to drive back there again as it was hot and the heat had taken a lot out of me but as much as possible I try and be a man of my word and I said I was going to be there so I was.

On a side note we got some great fuel mileage going down to Abq. I went 132 miles and put in 4 gals of fuel and Ron did the same miles and put in 3 gals of fuel. That was 33mpg with a RT and a loaded trailer and Ron got 44mpg on his stock RS. We ran about 65mph the whole way down. The best mileage I got up in the mountains was 39.2mpg towing a trailer with the RT. I wouldn't believe it if you told me that's what you got so I don't mind if you don't believe me but it's true. I think the lack of air requires less fuel and you could tell there was a lack of power but it was pretty cool to see those numbers. If only we could see that all the time.

We had a good group of SpyderLovers from all over the country meet us in Abq. and that's when the party really started for me. Some of these folks I knew for years and some for just a short time and some I had never met before but it was like a family reunion when we got together. We had a great dinner and the Owl restaurant and there was plenty of cutting up at the dinner table. It was one of those gatherings where everyone was in their element and life long memories and friendships were being formed.

Two of my favorite gals

More great folks

The next day Andy took the lead and got us out of town on some great roads. I'm not even sure how we went but it was a lot better than 550 that Ron and I took the last two times. The group stayed together for the most part and it was a great ride out. There were some issues and one guy had to get towed in. That was a drag for sure.

Getting ready to head out

On the road toward Durango

Last fuel stop before meeting the film crew

I know of a few folks that had problems that were either fixed in Durango or were not able to be fixed at the time. BRP gave out some loaners so people could ride while they were there. I know it would be nice if they didn't have the need to do that but I was glad to see they cared enough about folks having a good time while they were there that they pulled some strings to make that happen. The techs worked their butts off too trying to take care of everyone. There's only so much you can do with the resources they had at the time. I feel bad for the folks that had issues but I'm thankful for the work that BRP did to try and help out. They really do care.

DannyD

Thursday I pretty much hungout at the Fairgrounds and talked with folks and later split off to do some photo shoots with the ad guys. They took some of the best pics I've seen to date. Looking forward to seeing what they wind up doing with them.

The dinner at the Sleeping Beauty Ranch was tops and I would say we had close to 800 folks there. Bernard Guy from BRP made a great speech and hinted of some new things to come, some sooner than later. I think 2013 will have some great new things for the Spyder world and I think you'll see some changes in 2012 that will make ownership of the Spyder even better.

Friday was another great day, I got to lead a ride with the VP's of BRP and my Spyder 5 buddies. We did the same ride I took Monday but I never get tired of it. The town of Silverton and Ouray are just great to visit and the road there and back will not disappoint.

We got back in time to make the event downtown and I was pleasantly surprised to see so many Spyders parked in the middle of downtown Durango. It reminded me of Sturgis but with Spyders instead of bikes. I shot some video of all the Spyders just to give you an idea of what a great turnout it was. I know this wasn't all the Spyders as I saw many of them on the road and still at the Fairgrounds before going over to main street.

The band was pretty good and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Chaz Rice and his crew should be congratulated for pulling this off the way they did. I'm not sure what they are going to do next year but this one will be hard to top. I didn't think it would be possible to compare to this years Spyderfest but the Owners Event was on par with Spyderfest for sure. They both had a different flavor but once again it was the people that made the event great. Can't wait till next year.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO much for the great recap Lamont

So frustrated Teddy & I had to miss out on this years events, as it looks like y'all had a Great Time
    Thanks again for sharing the pics, vids and captions

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FB and I had an XXXXtra large time!!!!!!
    Great rides
    Beautiful country
    Great food
    but for us, it's about ALL the great people and the Friends!!!!!!
    WoooHooooo!!!!!!!

Can't wait for next year!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

"The techs worked their butts off too trying to take care of everyone."

That they did! And then some.

Can't say enough about how impressed I was with the effort the techs put in.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Frenchie and I had a wonderful time, got to see old friends and meet many new ones. Thanks Lamont for all the pictures. In the mountains Frenchie got 42mpg and I got 39.5mpg. We both have Juice Box Pro fuel managment systems. Should always drive in the mountains. Can't wait til next year.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

It's not easy to sum up a trip like that. Good photos and good job capturing the event for those who couldn't make it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    It's not easy to sum up a trip like that. Good photos and good job capturing the event for those who couldn't make it
    There was so much more I could have posted and I will add some stuff later but the folks that were there can fill in the blanks and the folks that weren't can get a feel for the event. It was one of the best events of my lifetime.

Spyder Garage

I agree, it was a great event. The Food was good and the BRP tech's did a fantastic job of getting spyders fixed or updated. The Engineers from BRP were very interested in how we liked riding and what could be improved. The location was great, no rain, just a little ash fell on the bikes in durango. If the temp had stayed a little cooler, it would have been perfect.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Great summary Lamont, and kewlpics.gif! It was really nice to meet you and all the other great Spyderlovers!!

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    Great summary Lamont, and kewlpics.gif! It was really nice to meet you and all the other great Spyderlovers!!
    Thanks for taking lead on this Bro, you picked a great route!

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome Pics

Thanks so much for sharing.....seeing so many Spyders in one place is such a thrill!! When I rode my Harley, we went to events, such as Street Vibrations in Reno, and there were Harley's everywhere. Quite exciting....but now that our lives have altered to the Spyder, would love to experience the same with them. We're lucky if we see one a month here, other than ours. So, again, thanks for the sharing of photos and vids.

Spyder Garage

Default Route

ABQ spyderman
    I have a place in Red River. which route did you take them up to Durango

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!

Brilliant pictures and summary of the event.. I Highly appreciate you taking the time to share

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont for sharing and recapping the event, beautiful shots!

Spyder Garage

Default Cyncy

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    So frustrated Teddy & I had to miss out on this years events, as it looks like y'all had a Great Time
    Thanks again for sharing the pics, vids and captions
    Really missed you and Teddy in Durango. I kept asking everyone if they had seen you. Next time we need to get together to visit. You were missed!
    SPYDEB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Mark Lawson called me today to fill in many knowledge gaps (ok I realize how that reads...). I look at some of the folks that are my age and older and wonder if I wimped out on the sun and heat, but... second guessings are useless. Thanks for sharing the experience vicariously.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Spyder View Post
    ABQ spyderman
    I have a place in Red River. which route did you take them up to Durango
    I took them up 14N, Santa Fe Bypass to 285/84, stayed on 84 until Pagosa, then 160W to Durango. Pretty route.

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

Spyder Garage

Great write up, Lamont
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Default great photo's, great stories----

thanks for sharing with those of us that weren't able to go this year. it's two more years till retirement, with the good lord willin i'll be there then! the only problem with this, it's stories like this that make me wish i was retiring tomorrow. thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Got to try to make an event like this one day. I've never driven 1500 miles in a car, let alone a motorcycle. Without being with a group, I think I'd give out after 500 miles...

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took them up 14N, Santa Fe Bypass to 285/84, stayed on 84 until Pagosa, then 160W to Durango. Pretty route.
    It was a great trip up!!! thanks for putting it together!!!!!

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Awesome write up, and that video is great. I don't know if you saw it, but Quinn and I stole your idea. He hopped on back and I rode him around getting the same shots. That was pretty freaking impressive.

Spyder Garage

Great pictures and write up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lamont, thanks for the recap.............you're correct about it being a great event, put on by a great group of people. First class all the way!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GloryRyders View Post
    Lamont, thanks for the recap.............you're correct about it being a great event, put on by a great group of people. First class all the way!

word+photos+story great job sir!