Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Spyder Garage

Question A few questions

Ok so I have been doing as much research as I can for the last few weeks. I am planing on going to the closest Can am dealer this weekend to maybe get a Spyder. I have never riden one yet so that is my first goal to see if the spyder will work for us. Now my question. Both me and my wife are on the larger side. Under the wiht limit but close. Is any other rider out there close to the wight limit and how does that affect the way the bike rides? Also is there enough room? I know these are silly questions. But that is the one thing I have beed worried about. Let me know what you guys think. Most likley going to be looking at the R/T.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Welcome to the SpyderHood

&

You've found the BEST place on the World Wide Web for anything & everything Spyder Related. While I can't answer your questions from experience, I can offer my opinions from experiences from this site & ryding with other Spyder Ryders.

1: Being on the L A R G E R side, with a passenger, you DEFFINATELY want to be looking at the RT model, as it itself is a bit larger than the RS model, and offers more comfort for the ryder & passenger.

2: If you have many years of prior MC experience, keep in mind, a Spyder is NOTHING like a traditional 2 wheeler, more like a quad or snowmobile, so please, for your own sake, don't try to ryde it like a traditional bike, or you will end up frustrating yourself. Light grip on the handlebars, squueze the seat pads with your knees to help hold on, lower your center of gravity & learn INTO the turns, most of all, relax & enjoy the ryde.

3: No silly questions here. You may want to check on the forum under your state & see if their are any local ryders in your area that can maybe give you feedback when it comes to dealers. Word of caution, the closest dealer MAY NOT BE THE BEST DEALER & proper dealer set-up of a new Spyder can make or break your Spyder Experience. If you can get feedback from other locals, PLEASE, do yourself a favor and take it. There are some dealers from hell out there & we don't want you to have a bad experience.

4: As for room, I have nothing to offer, other than I'm sure some of our other more well fed members may chime in soon to give you their feedback & opinions.

Good luck, & you've come to the right place for research. Hope all goes well

dav n ted~

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer your questions except for the 2 of you. Go and test drive one to see if space is an issue comfort wise for either of you. Hope it works out for you.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife is not very large, but I am 350lbs and we have no issues. Spyder RT handles me/us fine!

Spyder Garage

Back before our weight loss, my GF and I, geared up, would tip 600+ lbs on the RS, definitely busting the manual-established weight limit.

Spyder handled well enough, but we had the suspension jacked to the max, and I had to be extra careful going over speedbumps or hitting potholes with the rear wheel (I bottomed out once or twice at speed, VERY unpleasant).

I will acknowledge that being under the weight limit improves the ride considerably.

From a comfort perspective the RT comes a bit more comfy out of the box than the RS, but both can be customized to your liking if you have the wallet for it. A better seat, floorboards/pegs, handlebar risers, upgraded shocks... all go a long way towards making the Spyder your own ride.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

arntufun

If you can fit on a toilet in your house, you will fit on the RT. It might sound stupid, but it makes perfect sense.

Don't worry about that weight limit, the RT will handle it. Good luck !!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    If you can fit on a toilet in your house, you will fit on the RT. It might sound stupid, but it makes perfect sense.

......your too funny
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer your questions except for the 2 of you. Go and test drive one to see if space is an issue comfort wise for either of you. Hope it works out for you.
    I agree and be sure you sit on one for a while and think about how you will feel if you are on it for a long ride. And as Dave said you will probably want to pass on the RS and go right to the RT.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

your phrases are the best,, You always make me smile when I read your post lol..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I agree and be sure you sit on one for a while and think about how you will feel if you are on it for a long ride. And as Dave said you will probably want to pass on the RS and go right to the RT.
    My wife and I are not large, but we both sat together on the RT for about 45 minutes to get a better feel for the comfort and fit. During that time, we checked out all of the features and asked the salesman a lot of questions. Needless to say, we purchased one and have been riding around on it for almost 3 weeks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and welcome to the family!
    The RT will take the weight, so now the question becomes; are the both of you comfortable on it??
    Please let us know how the shopping goes, and Good Luck!

Randy, , but I've got to admit that your analogy works!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The RT is probably the better ride for two up. Regarding weight, the two of us total 400# (but I am not going to give the breakdown--its a secret). We rode 5000 miles together last summer and the riding season is just beginning this year.

Is it for you? I recommond a good test drive to determine how its going to work for your particular combination.

Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Certainly sounds like...

Elkas front (and maybe rear) would be in your future...

I'm 280 and 6'4" and they made a world of difference for me...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replys. We are going in the morning to check them out.. we are going to Elk Grove Motorsport. They seem to have good reviews. But if anyone has heard anything speak up. I called today and they said they were blowing some 2011 modles. Any big difference. Between 2011 and 2012. Besides saving a bunch of money. I am pretty sure I am goin to go for a RT.

Spyder Garage

That is a bit beyond the pale! I can't believe you would start calling the RT a toilet!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Never tried a toilet at 60 mph, do they handle as well as the RT?

Just kidding

Spyder Garage

Why didn't you just continue with your amazing analogy? "If your toilet can handle your weight then so can the RT"!

Does this mean that we should start test riding our toilets to see if the RT will work for us? And how does that translate to riding 2 up? Seems like a dicey proposition on your average household toilet! Can you imagine the BRP commercial for this one!

Where do you come up with this stuff!? Somehow, I don't think retail marketing is your niche....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    That is a bit beyond the pale! I can't believe you would start calling the RT a toilet!
    That's our Randy...

BRPs Black Helicopters are now circling the Captial District looking for him...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Somehow, I don't think retail marketing is your niche....

Or is it ??????????

toilet1.jpgtoilet-bike4.jpgtiolet2.gif

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Why didn't you just continue with your amazing analogy? "If your toilet can handle your weight then so can the RT"!

Does this mean that we should start test riding our toilets to see if the RT will work for us? And how does that translate to riding 2 up? Seems like a dicey proposition on your average household toilet! Can you imagine the BRP commercial for this one!

Where do you come up with this stuff!? Somehow, I don't think retail marketing is your niche....

Baja,

Wouldn't it have been better had he used the word 'bidet'? That would have shown some marketing skills.

Spyder Garage

Default EGPS

Quote Originally Posted by All Around View Post
    Thanks for the replys. We are going in the morning to check them out.. we are going to Elk Grove Motorsport. They seem to have good reviews. But if anyone has heard anything speak up. I called today and they said they were blowing some 2011 modles. Any big difference. Between 2011 and 2012. Besides saving a bunch of money. I am pretty sure I am goin to go for a RT.
    This is our dealership - Subrina and crew will take excellent care of you

Spyder Garage

My wife and I geared up to the max and sat on the RT in the showroom. We total over 500 lbs. No issues at all. I suggest a solo test ride before the 2 up test ride. I am glad I did anyways. Good luck, Spyder Lovers are the best people in the world.

Dog out..........

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadPenny View Post
    This is our dealership - Subrina and crew will take excellent care of you
    Good to hear thank you.

Spyder Garage

So this thread has gone to the pooper. Ha ha. So any feed back on the savings between getting a 2011 at a great price as to a 2012. What came out in 2012 that 2011s did not have? If I do get the Spyder it will be a two hour ride home on the freeway. A little nevous about that! Anyway I will let you guys know how it plays out.

Spyder Garage

So its done. 2012 RT limited. White Or as they call it pearl! Pics to come soon.