Thread: Trailer laws?

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer laws?

I will be pulling a trailer on my spyder soon. Can some one tell me what the laws are regarding license plates? I see some with and some without.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Every state has different laws, need to research your state

I know in KY, we don't have to have trailer plates as long as its kept in-state. They do however reccommend them if we plan on taking the trailer out of state. Just Google your states trailer laws & should be easy to find your answer. &

Spyder Garage

You should contact your DMV. I'm sure all trailers must be licensed, but not all states may require an actual license plate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave, I would think that the RT trailer would fall in the 3rd category of less than 2000 pounds and therefore wouldn't require a license in KS
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Trailer laws vary from state to state...and trailer to trailer. In Michigan, trailers under 2,500 pounds, are registered and plated, but not titled. Larger trailers are tiltled. We have permanent plates, with a one-time fee. Check your DMV. Kansas law exempts trailers from registration if the total weight of the trailer and load being carried does not exceed 2,000 pounds.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer license

In Minnesota a small sticker is attached to the trailer tongue. Therefore there will not be a plate. This is for small utility trailers with a 3000 lb load limit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here in New York every trailer gets a plate. (For which you pay; of course!)
    What would happen if you came in from a non-plated State to visit?
    It might not be a bad idea to carry along a copy of your State's regulations...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That's a very good idea. Will shut off any disagreement with the LEO's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would expect rules or reciprocity to be in effect between states on this subject. My state you don't have to have a license for trailers under 3000 lbs that are not used for commerce, though if you have extra money sitting around that you have no good idea of what to do with it, the state offers an optional plate for your trailer at a price.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER PLATE

This is probably of no value to you but.....they just changed the law in Vermont recently,....under 1500 lbs. they issue a plate ..but no more inspections....Just wait till you see how I'm towing my new trailer......At Spyderfest ......Mike.........And I will be carrying a copy of the new regulations with me......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to register and license-plate any trailer in Illinois...

We are dying in debt here... so they license and register everything here.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Pennsylvania

Requires title and plate... $6.00 a year, but they WILL allow you the "luxury" of pre-paying 5 years at a time for $30.00... What a deal!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

It is my understanding that even if the State you are aresident of does not require a plate once you leave your home State you arerequired to comply to the laws for that State or States you will be travelingthrough.

Spyder Garage

It is my understanding that even if the State you are a resident of does not require a plate once you leave your home State you are required to comply to the laws for that State or States you will be traveling through.
    This doesn't make much sense. If I travel to a state that requires a plate, I'd have to stop and buy one? Or if I have plates on my trailer, would I have to take them off if I went into a state that doesn't require plates? I believe you only have to comply with your own states requirements.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    I believe you only have to comply with your own states requirements.
    But if your State doesn't require a plate it wouldn't hurt to carry that documentation so as to head off a loud discussion with a LEO in another State...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I live on the border of Illinois and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin doesn't require plates for small trailers (basically anything short of a semi-trailer)... Illinois does require plates.

I see people from Wisconsin all the time pulling trailers of all types without plates when in Illinois and they never seem to be pulled-over for it.

My observation is that if Wisconsin doesn't require plates, then Illinois abides by that for those traveling through Illinois.

It is easy enough just to check the laws though...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    It is my understanding that even if the State you are aresident of does not require a plate once you leave your home State you arerequired to comply to the laws for that State or States you will be travelingthrough.
    While that does apply to equipment like lights, brakes, or reflectors, and to things like earphones and speed limits, it usually does not apply to title and registration requirements.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

TN doesn't require to register the trailer due to the weight, but they encourage you to do sign for the tags in case a rider goes thru a state that requires tags even if you are not a resident. One of those deals where states don't see eye-to-eye At least the renewal fee for it is $12.00 a year.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    This doesn't make much sense. If I travel to a state that requires a plate, I'd have to stop and buy one? Or if I have plates on my trailer, would I have to take them off if I went into a state that doesn't require plates? I believe you only have to comply with your own states requirements.
    Here in TN I don't need a plate on any of my trailers. If I plan to leave the state then I need to buy one in TN to comply with other state laws. I have traveled without a plate on in other states but I like living on the edge...well sometimes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I need to dig through the rules a bit deeper. I thought that reciprocity was 100% across all State lines...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that I need to dig through the rules a bit deeper. I thought that reciprocity was 100% across all State lines...
    In a way... yes. But if you get pulled over by an SOB patrol-person in another and doesn't know your state laws you might be slapped! It's like the registration renewal tags, some states are in the windshield, some are in the plates. I had a cop in TN giving me a hard time with my truck because I had my TN plates but TX windshield tags that were expired.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEGALITIES

I am a retired LEO and if you are legal in your state you are legal in all 50 states.....but and there is allways a but....the laws in you're State are not necessarily known by the LEO of the State you just got stopped in.....in fact the LEO probably is not familar with you're States laws unless it borders it.......so there may be a lengthy delay till everything is figured out.....Carrying a photo-copy of some strange State Statute you plan to hang you're hat on is not a bad idea......IMHO...Mike.....Just a heads up

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I am a retired LEO and if you are legal in your state you are legal in all 50 states.....but and there is allways a but....the laws in you're State are not necessarily known by the LEO of the State you just got stopped in.....in fact the LEO probably is not familar with you're States laws unless it borders it.......so there may be a lengthy delay till everything is figured out.....Carrying a photo-copy of some strange State Statute you plan to hang you're hat on is not a bad idea......IMHO...Mike.....Just a heads up
    And most of the time LEO's from one state have no idea of the laws of 2, 3 or across the country states (unless they lived or worked there previously). Be Prepared!

Previously owned: