Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    There is one in the for sale forum here with 333 miles and some ass for 12,500
    I saw that, its a bit far away....but it helps put the price in perspective.

Spyder Garage

I believe there is some spyder owners down near Long Island.......Maybe they can check it out before you make the trip!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS SILVER/BLACK SPYDER

Hey JediOsborn, shoot me a PM with the VIN # I've got friends that can give me/you some law type info on that Spyder.....Mike....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hey JediOsborn, shoot me a PM with the VIN # I've got friends that can give me/you some law type info on that Spyder.....Mike....
    That sounds awesome!!! I can't get over how helpful everyone is here!!

I tried to send you a message but got this reply....

BLUEKNIGHT911 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

arntufun

Jedi, make sure you click this link and join our riding group. This way you know when our rides are here in NY.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?groupid=1

After you have joined you can access our group by looking at the top of the page. click on community (on grey toolbar), then groups.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Ha Ha, I LUV it! The young Jedi is "USING THE FORCE" of the SpyderLovers Community

Quote Originally Posted by JediOsborn View Post
    That sounds awesome!!! I can't get over how helpful everyone is here!!.
    And soon, another "Gawker" shall be indoctrinated into the fold of the "Dark Side" Congrats bud, you've got a Great Group their as long as they can keep up without wet'n their pants OH NO I DIDN'T 2011-07-29 SITArainStop 001.jpg2011-07-29 SITArainStop 003.jpgLuv u guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

It looks like they got you covered.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it seem as if you're being dragged "into the fold" by fanatics???
    Why yes...yes you are!!
    More than half of the fun is in the shopping anyway...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It sure does feel like I've found a very cool group!
    I like the "young jedi" comment too, that was funny!!

I'm still reserved... I want to be excited, but I probably won't be until it's in my driveway!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

good luck with your purchase. I'd leave the trailer at home and ride the Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm still reserved... I want to be excited, but I probably won't be until it's in my driveway!
    Kind of almost feels like another Christmas is coming...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    There is one in the for sale forum here with 333 miles and some ass for 12,500
    OPPS!
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

There's a new wrinkle...I knew it was too good to be true.

Apparently the guy selling it never had it re-titled. So he bought it from someone else, he has the title with the original owner's name on it, but nothing in the "buyer" slot.
    He has the original bill of sale from the original owner to him.

According to the DMV, for me to buy it, I need the Spyder to be retitled in his name.
    He thinks that since he never registered it, he can just "fudge" the bill of sale to my name instead of his and it'll look like it came right from the original guy to me.

Anyone else uncomfortable with this idea??

Spyder Garage

There's a new wrinkle...I knew it was too good to be true.

Apparently the guy selling it never had it re-titled. So he bought it from someone else, he has the title with the original owner's name on it, but nothing in the "buyer" slot.
    He has the original bill of sale from the original owner to him.

According to the DMV, for me to buy it, I need the Spyder to be retitled in his name.
    He thinks that since he never registered it, he can just "fudge" the bill of sale to my name instead of his and it'll look like it came right from the original guy to me.

Anyone else uncomfortable with this idea??
    This is known as "jumping the title". It is a common occurance, especially with vintage vehicles, but is technically not legal in most states if the second seller is not a licensed dealer. It is done for ease in reselling, avoiding getting a dealer license, and to avoid sales tax to the reseller if he is not a dealer. Illegal for him but not for you, in that respect. There don't seem to be any consequences in most states. There is still a financial risk involved, since there could be an unlisted lein that you wouldn't find out about until you got to the DMV or someone tracked you down. The risk is small, however. Whether or not you do it depends pretty much on your comfort level. If you haven't done it before, and don't know the seller well, it may make you uncomfortable...although things would probably be just fine. If nothing else, you could tell the seller you are uncomfortable, use it as a bargaining tool.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This is known as "jumping the title". It is a common occurance, especially with vintage vehicles, but is technically not legal in most states if the second seller is not a licensed dealer. It is done for ease in reselling, avoiding getting a dealer license, and to avoid sales tax to the reseller if he is not a dealer. Illegal for him but not for you, in that respect. There don't seem to be any consequences in most states. There is still a financial risk involved, since there could be an unlisted lein that you wouldn't find out about until you got to the DMV or someone tracked you down. The risk is small, however. Whether or not you do it depends pretty much on your comfort level. If you haven't done it before, and don't know the seller well, it may make you uncomfortable...although things would probably be just fine. If nothing else, you could tell the seller you are uncomfortable, use it as a bargaining tool.

To be honest, Scotty's right, but I would make him go to the DMV on Long Island to register it before you gave him any $$$ Do not leave Long island or give him any $ until it's registered in your name.

Spyder Garage

Default might want to check with a dealer

You may want to shop around a bit. Have you been into the dealer to see if they have older show room models or demo models that they haven't gotten rid of yet? That is how I scored my 2008 with 6 miles and for only 11K and I am in Alaska. Here everything is expensive and over priced due to having to ship everything up here. Just saying you may want to ask at the dealers first.

- FreedomRings

I've been dreaming of getting a Spyder since they came out, but just couldn't afford one. I've saved up for a few years, and I've finally gotten close.
    I found a 2008 silver SM5 for 11k. I found it on craigstlist and cycletrader, and I've spoken with the owner.
    It has just over 4k miles, seems to be in great shape, has aftermarket rims, a backrest and 2nd windshield.
    Supposedly all the updates have been done and it was serviced regularly.

A couple concerns.
    It's 4 hours away....I'd have to trailer it home
    It's a 2008....should that be a concern?
    It seems to be underpriced.....

Please offer up ANY thoughts. I'm really nervous about making a big purchase like this (it's big for me...with a family and other responsibilities, 11k is a lot)

Thank you.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Just me, But i don't like complications, And you might find when you get to the DMV, They also don't like them either. Also Some 08's were problematic. My advice is to keep on looking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

I knew you guys would know what was going on. It sounds like he's done this plenty of times before, but I really do feel uncomfortable. I have no idea who the guys is, or if I'll get hosed in the deal.
    I'm sure he's avoiding the sales tax, so he won't want to re-title or register it.

ugh, I hate to give up on it, but it seems like it might not be a good idea....especially considering I have to drive that far to get it and all...

I have checked with some dealers, nothing seems to be close to this price, but I suppose I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.
    Last edited by JediOsborn; 04-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

I knew you guys would know what was going on. It sounds like he's done this plenty of times before, but I really do feel uncomfortable. I have no idea who the guys is, or if I'll get hosed in the deal.
    I'm sure he's avoiding the sales tax, so he won't want to re-title or register it.
    One of my dearest friends in life use to share the following quote:

If its not a HECK YES, then it is a HECK NO (she didn't say heck, but I am trying to keep it clean).

Trust your gut - it is usually right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staysafeonline View Post
    One of my dearest friends in life use to share the following quote:

If its not a HECK YES, then it is a HECK NO (she didn't say heck, but I am trying to keep it clean).

Trust your gut - it is usually right.

I like that! I think the gut says no to this one. I guess I'll never be a big risk taker...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation The "Force" is Strong with the young Jedi

Trust the "Force" & you won't have future regret, just a Wide Azz Smile plastered on yur face when the right deal does come along

Spyder Garage

ugh, I hate to give up on it, but it seems like it might not be a good idea....especially considering I have to drive that far to get it and all...

I have checked with some dealers, nothing seems to be close to this price, but I suppose I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.
    That is probably a good decision on your part. This could be a great deal for you or a total nightmare.
    I didn't see any mention of this Spyder's warranty. As a young family man who is trying to stretch your budget to get on a Spyder the last thing you need is a Spyder without a warranty. Sometimes major issues come up and can be very expensive on a limited budget. Good luck on finding the right Spyder for you. It's out there, so don't worry so much about location as shipping across the country is not that expensive and you have an army of Spyder owners willing to help you get the Spyder you need. There is a compiled dealer list that Spyderlovers have bouched for, start calling them and ask if they have any used Spyders or have other customers who are looking to sell. A friend of mine bought a '09 two years ago for $11,200.00 w/low miles and plenty of warranty. It was listed here on Spyderlovers. It's out there young jedi, use the "Spyderlover" force

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Default bought mine used

I've been dreaming of getting a Spyder since they came out, but just couldn't afford one. I've saved up for a few years, and I've finally gotten close.
    I found a 2008 silver SM5 for 11k. I found it on craigstlist and cycletrader, and I've spoken with the owner.
    It has just over 4k miles, seems to be in great shape, has aftermarket rims, a backrest and 2nd windshield.
    Supposedly all the updates have been done and it was serviced regularly.

A couple concerns.
    It's 4 hours away....I'd have to trailer it home
    It's a 2008....should that be a concern?
    It seems to be underpriced.....

Please offer up ANY thoughts. I'm really nervous about making a big purchase like this (it's big for me...with a family and other responsibilities, 11k is a lot)

Thank you.

Bought my 2009 used and have never regretted it for a second. I too found it on Craigs List but the owner was local. He even rode it to my home. Good luck.. Oh yeah, be careful with the trailer. Have found many are too high for the ride on gate to clear the nose of the Spyder. Be sure to check it out.

Spyder Garage

I like that! I think the gut says no to this one. I guess I'll never be a big risk taker...
    You work too hard for your $$ to take a chance , something else will come up and in the mean time your Increasing your Savings amount!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

My two cents:

Don't do it. Save up some more money and find a deal that is done correctly. This guy is looking for short-cuts and if there is a problem, he will leave you hanging.

There will be others to choose from. Perhaps even the Phantom that you are really looking for!

Patience... and don't be afraid to look outside your area. Talk to your local dealer and let them know what you are looking for. They might be able to help you find something through their "networking".

When I traded in my RT, three local dealers knew about in less than a day. My GS sold to an individual in IL, by my local dealer, and had it trailered up to him without ever seeing it.
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 04-03-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    David
    McKinney, TX