Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Retirement Gift for this soldier

Hi Spyder Owners!! I recently bought a Spyder RTS SM5 as my retirement gift after 23 years service in the Army. I'm currently serving in Afghanistan and will return to the states in September. I am having my Spyder shipped to Ft Benning, Georgia and driving it back to Fort Meade in Maryland over 15 days. Any tips for this long trip?

Love this Site !!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and thanks for your service. We haven't been on any long distance rides yet, but I am sure many on this site will help.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your service!! I sat on an RT yesterday and I want one!!! Be Safe!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your service t0 our country. The best advise is to sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I both would like to Thank You for your Service

Teddy & I had 13,700 miles on our 2010 RT-S and as of now have 23,400 miles on his new 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S & have been on many long distance road trips. Best advice we can give is to pack for all weather conditions no matter the season. Make sure you have ALL of your Important numbers (RoadSide Assistance, AAA, Emergency Contact Info, etc.) not only stored in your cell phone, but also written down & stored in a safe location, just in case your cell phone gets lost or dies. Make sure to stay hydrated & enjoy your trip, you'll never forget it. Congratulations & again, thank you for your Service to our Country.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Oh yeah, almost forgot, Welcome to the SpyderHood

&
    You've found the spot on the WWW for anything & everything Spyder related & we're glad to have you as a member of our Spyder "Family"

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IcyAlpha1906 View Post
    Hi Spyder Owners!! I recently bought a Spyder RTS SM5 as my retirement gift after 23 years service in the Army. I'm currently serving in Afghanistan and will return to the states in September. I am having my Spyder shipped to Ft Benning, Georgia and driving it back to Fort Meade in Maryland over 15 days. Any tips for this long trip?

Love this Site !!
    Are you Eddy? Got an order from Eddy in afghanistan yesterday for his RT SM5. Asking if I could get a set of Seal FloorBoards to the dealer asap so he could have them while on leave. It was one of the most important order I've had in a very long time and was honored to get it shipped within a couple of hrs. My hat is off to you whether you are Eddy or not. Thanks for your service. Enjoy your new ride and........

Ride in comfort,

John
    3rd Infantry Division

Spyder Garage

Hi, welcome to the site and many, many thanks for your service.

If you're going to start your Spyder experience with a 15 day trip, then you might want to start out slow - maybe a full day getting used to the controls, doing some parking lot practice, and cruising some back roads. One of the keys to becoming comfortable with the Spyder is to remember to keep a light touch on the bars. As said, this will be a trip you'll never forget. Have fun!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

thank youn for your service, God Bless and please ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

+1
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cool Welcome home!

Thanks for your service. Best advice I can give you is what you heard in the sands -- keep your freakin' eyes open!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If you need help when you get to Benning send me an EMAIL. Many retired military, myself included, riding in the Columbus area, we meet, ride and eat. We also do long distance rides, Alaska this summer. My RTS is one of a series of retirement presents and probably the most enjoyable. I have riden most of routes that you can take to the Meade area, go easy until you feel as one with the RT. When you get here we can give you route and setup tips if you desire. Stay safe.
    Jerry Boyd

Spyder Garage

The worst thing you can do is run a new engine at the same RPM's for any long distance. This will not allow for proper break-in, proper seating of the oil rings. During the first 100 miles I really like to run a few short trips varying the RPM's and allowing the engine to cool completely down before restarting, after that it's just varying those RPM's not hard acceleration and avoid lugging the engine.

Make sure you have the Roadside assistance number just in case. It might also be a good idea to know where dealers are located along your route. Be sure the dealer goes over everything in detail... A self induced check engine light and possible Limp mode would be nice not to have to deal with.

Do get familiar with the Spyder before hitting the road, it is nothing like a motorcycle. I hope you have had the MSF course at least on two wheels.

Thanks for your service and enjoy your trip.
    'Bikeless'

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THX Cyncy Spyder for the info..Luvn the pics

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Teddy & I had 13,700 miles on our 2010 RT-S and as of now have 23,400 miles on his new 2011 SpyderFest Edition RT-S & have been on many long distance road trips. Best advice we can give is to pack for all weather conditions no matter the season. Make sure you have ALL of your Important numbers (RoadSide Assistance, AAA, Emergency Contact Info, etc.) not only stored in your cell phone, but also written down & stored in a safe location, just in case your cell phone gets lost or dies. Make sure to stay hydrated & enjoy your trip, you'll never forget it. Congratulations & again, thank you for your Service to our Country.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeb View Post
    If you need help when you get to Benning send me an EMAIL. Many retired military, myself included, riding in the Columbus area, we meet, ride and eat. We also do long distance rides, Alaska this summer. My RTS is one of a series of retirement presents and probably the most enjoyable. I have riden most of routes that you can take to the Meade area, go easy until you feel as one with the RT. When you get here we can give you route and setup tips if you desire. Stay safe.
    Jerry Boyd

THX Jerry, looking fwd to it !!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi John, yes it is me !! THX so much for getting those boards out !!

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Are you Eddy? Got an order from Eddy in afghanistan yesterday for his RT SM5. Asking if I could get a set of Seal FloorBoards to the dealer asap so he could have them while on leave. It was one of the most important order I've had in a very long time and was honored to get it shipped within a couple of hrs. My hat is off to you whether you are Eddy or not. Thanks for your service. Enjoy your new ride and........

Ride in comfort,

John
    3rd Infantry Division

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool THX All !!

This is a great forum for info sharing and I look forward to riding soon back in the ol good USA All tips Duly Noted !!

IcyAlpha

US Forces AFGHANISTAN

Spyder Garage

and on the new . Tips , just ryde safe and enjoy! By the way, thanks for your service!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Bike

Congrats on the new bike!!! And thank you so much for your service.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Glad you found us & thank you for 23 years of selfless service to our nation. You've done what few have done to allow all of us to do what we love.

God bless you!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

You have already found the best source for Spyder information. I would strongly advise the day or so in the local area.
    Thank you very much for your Service.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Best advice is to forget motorcycles and think ATV, lots of unlearning if you go into it in motorcycle mindset.
    Congradulations on retirement and thank you for your service!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your service and welcome back to the land of the big PX. Advice ????? Take your time and stop to smell the flowers on your trip. DECOMPRESS on the ride. Again welcome home brother. OH and
    Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IcyAlpha1906 View Post
    Cool Eddy,

Even though your dealer has not met you in person, Lisa is very excited about meeting you and delivering your new RT to you. Would love to shake your hand at SpyderFest!!!

Ride in comfort soldier,

John
    SealFloorBoards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

God bless you for your service. Men like you make me proud to be an American! Come back home safe and ryde the same. Initially, it will feel like driving a bus with bad springs, then it will start to feel a little better. Counter weight this baby, and she'll surprise you with her handling abilities. Most of all, enjoy your retirement. You have earned it!!