Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Rear Tire

Spyder Garage

Default Stock Rear Tire

After much thought about a new rear tire I decided to go with the stock Kenda. My next question, is the dealer the only place to get one or can a better deal be had somewhere else? I tried to find one online but my stock tire does not have a "model" name on it. The only ones that pop up are dealer, and used ebay deals.

Spyder Garage

Sorry this is not an answer to your question. I was wondering what kid of mileage you got out of your tires front and rear?
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I got 18500 miles on the stock Kenda, Replaced it with another stock Kenda, 135$ Installed from the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's about it: the Dealerships or EBay... I don't believe that they've ever listed a model for that tire, and i've not seen any references to it on Kenda's website...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks that is about what I figured.
    I have a tad over 9k on mine. I don't do burn outs, but I don't baby it, ever. I know it spins quite a bit, even when shifting.
    I also ride on salty streets a lot, it seems to break loose on them even more. I could go another 2k I am sure, but traction is more valuable to me than sneaking every penny out of my drive tire.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I got 18500 miles on the stock Kenda, Replaced it with another stock Kenda, 135$ Installed from the dealer.

That was one heck of a deal Bob
    ......... A stock tire alone retails for $130.00+ now. I just purchased a new one a few weeks ago (to have a spare) and I told my dealer I was not going to pay that much so he ended up selling it to me for $103.00 , just the tire.

After I'm done with that one, I'm switching to a car tire.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We got 21,000 on the stock rear tire, but it was totally used up. Rotated the stock fronts at 22,000 & am hoping to get another 10-15,000 out of them. We ryde year round & the Spyder is our only mode of transportation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    That's impressive! I got 11,800 and switched to the Kuhmo Ecsta.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    That's impressive! I got 11,800 and switched to the Kuhmo Ecsta.
    I looked at those on www.tirerack.com & found the traction rating to be 6.2, which was quite low. Didn't feel comfortable with it. The other option (BF Goodrich, I think) were summer only. Not recommended for cold temps or snow or ice.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$85 bucks to my door for the Falken 912...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I looked at those on www.tirerack.com & found the traction rating to be 6.2, which was quite low. Didn't feel comfortable with it. The other option (BF Goodrich, I think) were summer only. Not recommended for cold temps or snow or ice.
    I'm also running a Kumho Ecsta on my 2010 RT and my seat of the pants feel is that it doesn't have quite the grip that the OEM Kenda has. I don't have a problem with that, though. I rode it in the rain through the twisties around Taos, NM last fall with no problems at all. We weren't riding at MotoGP speeds, of course, but we set a decent pace and it worked just fine. I currently have about 9,000 miles on the Kumho with some miles to go before I have to replace it. The original Kenda was worn out at 9,000 miles.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I got 13,500 miles out of my first rear tire on the RTS. The dealer I go to will not put on "non-OEM" tires.

I don't want some tire shop messing around with the Spyder--so I feel that I am locked into just using the OEM tires on the Spyder.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I got 16,500 Miles on Both Front and rear. (Front rotated at 8,000).
    I think I got a couple more thousand on the rear BUT I can,t judge the front?
    I have New fronts all ready but wonder how everyones getting 25,000 on the fronts?
    I think the warmer the climate the shorter the rear tire life?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Wow--- I've never gotten over 8,000 miles off a rear tire and about 12,000 off the fronts.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    We got 21,000 on the stock rear tire, but it was totally used up.
    I can confirmed that statement! You were due for a replacement about the time we had the Middletown ride Dave, big time. That tire was done brother.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I'm also running a Kumho Ecsta on my 2010 RT and my seat of the pants feel is that it doesn't have quite the grip that the OEM Kenda has. I don't have a problem with that, though. I rode it in the rain through the twisties around Taos, NM last fall with no problems at all. We weren't riding at MotoGP speeds, of course, but we set a decent pace and it worked just fine. I currently have about 9,000 miles on the Kumho with some miles to go before I have to replace it. The original Kenda was worn out at 9,000 miles.

Cotton
    I rode the OEM back tire for about 14K then switched to the Kumho for the next 20K+. Now I'm back to the OEM only because it came with the new ride. But as soon as I have to replace it I'm going right back to the Kumho's. Reason? The Kumho is an all season tire. Grip IMHO is about the same for both except for winter time conditions. The Kumho has much better grip in the white stuff. Just looking at the tread differences will support that statement.

Don't get me wrong, both tires are good, but I slip just as much on wet or damp pavements with both. You just need to anticipate the slip and don't get all freaked out about it and you're just fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wow--- I've never gotten over 8,000 miles off a rear tire and about 12,000 off the fronts.
    7,000 miles and mine was toast!

Spyder Garage

I got 11,000 out of my first set of stockers. I may have gotten a bit more but I had a front end alignment issue. But they took care of that and this latest set is doing great. I need to look at the odometer so I can get an actual reading, but if I had to guess I would say I have about 9,000 on this set. One thing is for sure; the next set will not be Kenda's. Will likely move over to Michelin, Dunlop or Goodrich g-force. The Kendas are a little hard for my taste.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

SWITCHING BRANDS OF TIRES ON YOUR SPYDERS:...THE REASON BRP HAS KENDAS ON THE SPYDERS ISSSSSSS THEY MADE A SWEETHEART DEAL WITH KENDA....BRP GETS THE TIRES AT A GREAT DISCOUNT AND SINCE THEY ARE THE ALMOST EXCLUSIVE SELLER THEY CAN SELL FOR WHATEVER PRICE THEY WANT....YOU'LL NOTICE MOST DEALERS WILL NOT TOUCH ANYTHING BUT A KENDA REGARDING A SPYDER....AND BY THE WAY YOU CAN'T BUY THE TIRE FROM KENDA..THEY WON'T SELL IT TO YOU.....I SWITCHED TO CAR TIRES FOR THE ABOVE REASON AND THE FACT THAT CAR TIRES ARE RATED MUCH HIGHER....THEY HAVE TO BE TO SUPPORT A 3000 LB. CAR...THINK ABOUT IT....YOUR KENDA'S ARE RATED FOR 700 TO 925 LB. SPYDER....MY CAR TIRES CAN SUPPORT A 3000 LB. CAR....THIS IS A NO BRAINER PEOPLE.....DON'T BUY ANY OLD CAR TIRE BE CHOOSEY READ THE SPEC'S AND CHOOSE WISELY ....AND YOU WILL GET A 100% BETTER TIRE FOR A LOT LESS MONEY.....AND A MUCH SAFER TIRE TOO....IT'S RATED HIGHER....I'M DONE...RIDE ON.....MIKE
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    THIS IS A NO BRAINER PEOPLE.....DON'T BUY ANY OLD CAR TIRE BE CHOOSEY READ THE SPEC'S AND CHOSE WISELY ....AND YOU WILL GET A 100% BETTER TIRE FOR A LOT LESS MONEY.....AND A MUCH SAFER TIRE TOO....IT'S RATED HIGHER....I'M DONE...RIDE ON.....MIKE
    Amen, Brother! No more crap Kendas for me! The only reason I had to go with a second set of those thngs was because it was an emergency. But no more!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

X2!

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I went to a Michelin

I went to the Michelin Hydroedge tire 215/60-15 for $103 for my 2008 GS/RS. It has a 90,000 mile warranty and is a great rain tire. Have only put a few miles on it, but I am expecting to get well over 50,000 miles on it.

.mi_h2oedge_gx_ci2_l.jpg
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    SWITCHING BRANDS OF TIRES ON YOUR SPYDERS:...THE REASON BRP HAS KENDAS ON THE SPYDERS ISSSSSSS THEY MADE A SWEETHEART DEAL WITH KENDA....BRP GETS THE TIRES AT A GREAT DISCOUNT AND SINCE THEY ARE THE ALMOST EXCLUSIVE SELLER THEY CAN SELL FOR WHATEVER PRICE THEY WANT....YOU'LL NOTICE MOST DEALERS WILL NOT TOUCH ANYTHING BUT A KENDA REGARDING A SPYDER....AND BY THE WAY YOU CAN'T BUY THE TIRE FROM KENDA..THEY WON'T SELL IT TO YOU.....I SWITCHED TO CAR TIRES FOR THE ABOVE REASON AND THE FACT THAT CAR TIRES ARE RATED MUCH HIGHER....THEY HAVE TO BE TO SUPPORT A 3000 LB. CAR...THINK ABOUT IT....YOUR KENDA'S ARE RATED FOR 700 TO 925 LB. SPYDER....MY CAR TIRES CAN SUPPORT A 3000 LB. CAR....THIS IS A NO BRAINER PEOPLE.....DON'T BUY ANY OLD CAR TIRE BE CHOOSEY READ THE SPEC'S AND CHOOSE WISELY ....AND YOU WILL GET A 100% BETTER TIRE FOR A LOT LESS MONEY.....AND A MUCH SAFER TIRE TOO....IT'S RATED HIGHER....I'M DONE...RIDE ON.....MIKE
    To each his own... but a few points....

First off.... typing in ALL CAPS is considered YELLING and generally frowned upon. I usually won't read posts that are in all caps....

Second, "Rated Higher" doesn't mean 'better' for the Spyder.

Many have used non-Kenda tires and report great results, but this doesn't automatically make the Kenda a bad tire, or the car tire a 'better' one. A concern is dealing with the sidewalls as a car tire will have a much stiffer sidewall to support the extra weight, where the Kenda may not be as stiff as car tire- and *may* be part of the design in mind by BRP to accommodate the unique handling of the Spyder. Just a thought.

Another concern is tire pressure. Using aftermarket you basically have to guess. We all know the Spyder doesn't like much pressure in the Kenda's --- 17 front/ 26 rear. I believe most running car tires are running much higher.

I'm still sticking with OEM tires for now as the price isn't bad and they have handled anything I've thrown at them. 7,000 from a rear and 12,000 from the fronts is fine by me.

Now, that being said-- I'm more open to car tires than I used to be - might try some someday after more reports come in on using the various brands.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Firefly;419207]
    First off.... typing in ALL CAPS is considered YELLING and generally frowned upon. I usually won't read posts that are in all caps....
    QUOTE]
    But typing in CAPS can be easier to read fo those of us who have eyes that got old before their time...

But if it is yelling; at least I can hear it better too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Firefly;419207]To each his own... but a few points....

I agree.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default yelling

why is it considered "yelling" who made up that rule and i think you should follow your own advice ....if in caps don't read it ....punish me....make me suffer..make me cry ruin my life ...see i care...i'm probably breaking the illegal use of periods rule....oh my god....where will this all end.....now i can't even find the caps key...help me bob...please help me before i do something rash ,like go on a wild non-sensical rant....this is geting entirely out of hand ...i hope you're happy now....little minds, little minds, little minds....if i actually did something wrong i could see this ....but caps....really....get a life....MIKE......
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.