Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch going out on SE5

My 08 SE5 is out of warranty and needs clutch work, anyone have an idea of cost to replace the clutch...assuming its need a complete one?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    My 08 SE5 is out of warranty and needs clutch work, anyone have an idea of cost to replace the clutch...assuming its need a complete one?
    Is the problem slipping, disengage, or engagement.? This can also be caused by the HCM (hydraulic control module). Try Lamonster he may know the cost.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I think it's about $450 if your dealer does it.
    Just curious, but how many miles did you get out of your clutch?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I think it's about $450 if your dealer does it.
    Just curious, but how many miles did you get out of your clutch?
    It's my wifes SE5 and only has about 13k miles. I ride it much harder than she does so I am the one that has to pay to fix it lol.
    It creeps at a stop...will not stay stopped, just wants to keep going. Also, when I am riding it harder and up-shifting, it over revs...like a slipping clutch would do.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

It's my wifes SE5 and only has about 13k miles. I ride it much harder than she does so I am the one that has to pay to fix it lol.
    It creeps at a stop...will not stay stopped, just wants to keep going. Also, when I am riding it harder and up-shifting, it over revs...like a slipping clutch would do.
    It's not the clutch, Most likely Its the Control Module. Do a search it was a common problem a while back.
    A bad clutch will not creep at a stop,
    Last edited by boborgera; 12-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

It looks like a HCM (hydraulic control module) problem, maybe the clutch modulation solenoid, oil pressure problem, or dirt in the system. The creeping when you are stopped, are the rpms less than 1700 rpm? If so HCM most likely is the problem. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 12-16-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    It looks like a HCM (hydraulic control module) problem, maybe the clutch modulation solenoid, oil pressure problem, or dirt in the system. The creeping when you are stopped, are the rpms less than 1700 rpm? If so HCM most likely is the problem. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    it's comforting to know I should not have an actual full on clutch repair on my hands!
    I'll drop it off at the dealership and hope for the best.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My bike is an SE 2010. It only has 3400 miles on it and it does the EXACT same thing. I won't be able to take mine to the shop for a couple of weeks, so I am anxious to hear what you find out. Please post your diagnosis. The creeping thing is kinda scary at times.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation If its the needle bearrings, it should still be covered

I'm curious if y'all had the needle bearings replaced on these machines. On our 2010 RT-S SE5, we had it for 9 days before it started having the issues your describing here. We came to a stop sign & I motioned to the guy in the crosswalk to proceed, believing the Spyder would stop & I actually ended up (almost) hitting the guy. He had to push his hand off the frunk lid or we would have hit him, albeit at maybe 2 mph. BRP did a safety recall on this problem & that corrected it for our machine. We traded that one for Teds Red Sled which is a 2011 RT-S SE5 & we never had the issue with this one. Even if its out of Warrantee, if this is the problem, since it was a safety recall, I'd think it should still be covered. I know we reported ours to the NHTSA along with many others, hence the Safety Recall. Hope it all works out for you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Barnes in Brandon pulled the cover off and said a quick visual indicated the plates look fine, but when I take it back in which will be the next day or two, I will let them diagnose it further as they will have more time to spend on it. They did not mention a recall on the issue, so I wonder if there is some recall # or something I can give them to look up?

Ill provide a follow up once they tear it apart again. FYI, a full clutch repair cost over $600

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk