Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do all SPYDERS squeal when you give them gas?

My Spyder always squeals when I am accelerating. Only at minimal throttle does the sound die down to less irritating noise like in 5th at cruising speeds. It's so loud that my friends who were following me with their windows up heard it and asked me why the thing squeaky squeals all the time so loudly.

I get the impression this is not normal. When I search for it on forums I normally only find posts associated with brake squeal. I don't have that; my brakes make sort of clicking sounds.

Is this a belt issue?

2011 Spyder RT-S SE5 - OEM

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonGalt View Post
    My Spyder always squeals when I am accelerating. Only at minimal throttle does the sound die down to less irritating noise like in 5th at cruising speeds. It's so loud that my friends who were following me with their windows up heard it and asked me why the thing squeaky squeals all the time so loudly.

I get the impression this is not normal. When I search for it on forums I normally only find posts associated with brake squeal. I don't have that; my brakes make sort of clicking sounds.

Is this a belt issue?

If its more like a howling or whining sound it's probably the belt, Too tight, or most likely the belt rubbing against the flange on the rear sprocket.
    Almost 3 years now and i can't completely eliminate it,
    And believe me i've tried.

Spyder Garage

40k on my SE5 and never herd it squeal before. There was that one time I smoked the tire and it squealed and it sometimes squeals in reverse but that's just the brake.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    40k on my SE5 and never herd it squeal before. There was that one time I smoked the tire and it squealed and it sometimes squeals in reverse but that's just the brake.
    Same here, I would have a shop look at it soon.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I guess its sounds like rotational chirping that is proportional to the amount of throttle I give it. It's loud, annoying, and makes the thing sound like it's struggling instead like a motorcycle engine that could.

I'll take it in again, but I don't understand why it wasn't caught by the dealership as it's been present from the beginning and they had the thing in there more than once.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Talking No Squeal from Spyders, just Ryders......

TEDDYS 2010 RTS didn't squeal & his New 2011 RTS doesn't squeal either (so far) although I think I did last night when we got air-borne going down Devils BackBone Man, I'm love'n these Elkas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonGalt View Post
    I guess its sounds like rotational chirping that is proportional to the amount of throttle I give it. It's loud, annoying, and makes the thing sound like it's struggling instead like a motorcycle engine that could.

I'll take it in again, but I don't understand why it wasn't caught by the dealership as it's been present from the beginning and they had the thing in there more than once.
    Their are good dealerships and then their are bad ones, luck of the draw...
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Default Any resolve on noise

Jon,
    I am having exactly the same issue, thought is was belt but maybe not. Sounds like its coming from the left front tire, like you said a chirping sound but only on acceleration, let off the throttle it stops.

Did you find out what it was??

Thanks,

Dee
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Spyder Garage

Default Demand to have the belt properly retensioned and aligned as it wasn't done right

Quote Originally Posted by Spydee1
    Hey Jon,

I posted on the forum but just in case you did not see it I wanted to ask you if you determined what was causing the noise you described when accelerating. I have a new 2011 RT-S that is doing the exact same thing and I will probably have to take it to the shop.

Any info is greatly appreciate.

Dee
    Sorry Dee, I must have not gotten the thread update. I had to take it back 3 times and demand to have it resolved. I guess they don't care to take the back wheel off and redo the alignment and tension of the belt if they measure it to be in spec. The last time I took it in I was there to get the bouncing analog fuel gauge fixed and employed them to please take another look and resolve the squeaking. It is not normal. The belt causes it when it is loose and/or misaligned. (unless it is only during breaking than its likely the brakes) Have them drive the thing and have one listen outside when the person applies the throttle. Sometimes the mechanic doesn't notice how loud and annoying it is, but people around you will definatley notice that its not normal. When he took mine out the service manager and the general manager heard it loud and clear. Chirp Chirp Chirp in concert with throttling. They took the back wheel off, adjusted the belt properly and as of last weekend the issue is resolved.

The last 2 attempts helped, but it wasn't fixed. Just bring it back to them the minute it does it even after they claim to have fixed it, if you still hear it chirping.

Someone is not assembling the bike properly, not adjusting the belt tension and alignment properly and then ignoring the issue after the sale.

Spyder Garage

Depending on the humidity, mine squeeks a bit (at rear wheel belt and flange area) when rolling backwards.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jon,

I guess we will take it in tomorrow. I was hoping it was something simple since the dealer is a couple of hours away and we will have to rent a trailer. My husband actually put the bike up on a jack and revived the engine, no sound whatsoever. Also tried it in reverse on the road, again nothing. Its only with forward movement while accelerating.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Dee

Spyder Garage

Default update

Hey Jon,

You nailed it, I really did not think it was the belt but hubby did. He had what seemed to me a strange idea to prove or disprove the belt theory. He took a candle and with the bike on a jack again, I turned the back tire while he rubbed the candlestick along the belt. Took a test dive and guess what, no noise. So off to get belt adjusted.

Just thought you might want a follow-up.

Thanks again,

Dee

Spyder Garage

Had a new tire and belt adjusted this week and guess what? I have a squeal that sounds like it's coming from the front of the Spyder. Now that I'm reading this post I know it has to be the belt because even though I did have the front tires changed it is in harmony with the throttle. My guess is my belt is too tight. I should have checked it myself.

Spyder Garage

Default Squeal

Mine did that from day one and at the 600 mile check, that was one item on my list to be addressed. It turned out to be belt tension and rubbing against some guard gizmo down there that the belt chewed up. Don't know any more about it other than the noise is gone. So, belt alignment?

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I'm gonna have to turn my radio down for a listen...

In all seriousness; The belt on mine started out pretty far over to the left, but this Spring it has come back right so that it's currently centered ... Should I be worried about its trip across the cogs? Will it continue right until it hits the flange??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Had a new tire and belt adjusted this week and guess what? I have a squeal that sounds like it's coming from the front of the Spyder. Now that I'm reading this post I know it has to be the belt because even though I did have the front tires changed it is in harmony with the throttle. My guess is my belt is too tight. I should have checked it myself.

I thought the sound was coming from the front too, but when I listened without my helmet on and off the spyder I was able to hear it distinctly from the rear when I let my friend take out for a spin in the parking lot & everyone outside heard it from the rear when the tech was testing it last Saturday. They told me mine was slipping, when I got the Spyder back it seems like the belt is tighter. I don't know how one can feel like the belt is tighter, but it just seems like the engine is working against the belt as if there is more friction or drag to overcome. This is purely non-scientific. With the squeaking/chirping gone I am in no position to complain or care. I thought it was misaligned and rubbing something originally, again I don't know what I'm talking about. I do know that BRP needs to fine tune the procedure so the shops are not having this issue occur repeatedly.

I am sorry others are dealing with this migraine inducing noise that makes you regret hitting the throttle. Sounds like a dying Spyder.

I am glad that I'm not crazy anymore , well...at least about this one thing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that I'm gonna have to turn my radio down for a listen...

In all seriousness; The belt on mine started out pretty far over to the left, but this Spring it has come back right so that it's currently centered ... Should I be worried about its trip across the cogs? Will it continue right until it hits the flange??
    I would wait until you hear the death squeak

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    Mine did that from day one and at the 600 mile check, that was one item on my list to be addressed. It turned out to be belt tension and rubbing against some guard gizmo down there that the belt chewed up. Don't know any more about it other than the noise is gone. So, belt alignment?

Patrick
    This is what I thought all along

I tried to get the issue resolved at the 600mile service, but they were busy and other than spraying something somewhere don't think they took the time to nip it in the bud.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Throttle Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Spydee1 View Post
    Hey Jon,

You nailed it, I really did not think it was the belt but hubby did. He had what seemed to me a strange idea to prove or disprove the belt theory. He took a candle and with the bike on a jack again, I turned the back tire while he rubbed the candlestick along the belt. Took a test dive and guess what, no noise. So off to get belt adjusted.

Thanks again,

Dee
    Wow, I was right about something. I'm taking this moment in! I hope you can be more forceful about getting it resolved than I was. I wussed out about pushing the issue 3 times before I got down on my knees and started begging them to PLEASE... make it stop! Please! I can't take it anymore.

Let's all Trademark this as the "Spyder Throttle Cry"

Spyder Garage

Hey Jon,

Thanks again,

Dee
    Nice diagostic experiment.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After 120K miles, 6 front sprockets, 2 rear hubs, 4 complete sets rear bearings, 2 rear swing arms, 2 belts...your problem is rear sprocket being out of alignment.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    After 120K miles, 6 front sprockets, 2 rear hubs, 4 complete sets rear bearings, 2 rear swing arms, 2 belts...your problem is rear sprocket being out of alignment.
    Wow 120K!! I defer to your veteran experience on this one.

I'm not sure what they did when they took my back wheel off, the GM told me belt adjustment, but the person telling me wasn't the person doing the work. The one who fixed it just came back from the test drive and gave me the thumbs up and only said that "we think we have you taken care of"

I know...I know... how descriptively cryptic!

I sure hope I get 120K miles on my Spyder. I hope we both are intact too.

Spyder Garage

Question

Thanks everyone, I have learned a lot from this post.

Doc, can I ask you a question. If it is indeed the sprocket, would putting wax on the belt temporary resolve the issue. Before, it made the noise all the time, not just now and again. But after waxing the belt, it stopped immediately.

Thanks again everyone.

Dee

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doc, can I ask you a question. If it is indeed the sprocket, would putting wax on the belt temporary resolve the issue. Before, it made the noise all the time, not just now and again. But after waxing the belt, it stopped immediately.Dee
    In time will destroy the bearings, seals and belt. The rear tire should have excessive wear.Have a good mechanic remove the rear wheel, inspect the hub, seals and bearings and re-install and align the sprocket/wheel/belt correctly.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Docs doesn't squeal, it cries from the pain of full acceleration.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk