Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyder World

Hello.. I am a new Spyder owner… I have been a Spyder enthusiast ever since I saw the first concepts of Can Am for the Spyder in a Popular Mechanics Magazine back in early 2007.. I followed and read anything I could about the Spyder.. In October 2010 opportunity knocked and I bought a 2008 SE5 with only 900 miles on it... I got to ride it 2 times and then read about the DPS recall and ended up waiting 4 months to have it done… Had I not been reading this website’s post I would have never known about the recall, because I have never received anything from BRP.. Swamp Fox Motorsports a dealership in Beckley WV 300 miles from where I live did the dps replacement and were really nice and gave me a great deal on a sport rack and back rest.. They told me that all updates had been done to my Spyder… now that that is done with I am waiting out the cold weather.. I have been reading the posts on this website and any how to and what not to do that all you members have written.. I love some of the ideas and custom mods too.. I am trying to educate myself in all things Spyder.. I live in a rural area and the nearest dealership is at least a 3 hour drive..I am 37 years old and I have rode dirt bikes when I was younger but never owned a street bike.. The Spyder is a very unique creature, nothing else like it on the road.. with that said I feel a little overwhelmed like I am alone on the moon with My Spyder, My Spyder Manual, and thank the Lord for this website..
    I do have some questions and some concerns that you all might be able to help me with in fact any advise anyone can give me will be greatly..

1.First off.. “The posts about the Spyder catching on fire terrifies me..!”
    2.Wrap or not to Wrap the exhaust? A lot of Ryders on here say it helps reduce the heat which sounds great and others have posted that it prematurely rusts your pipes
    3.The Brake Light question.. I have read that the Spyder goes into limp mode if one goes out and that they are a pain to change and that some say to get a LED bulb by pilot automotive li-1157rcz and it will outlast a regular bulb.. or can I get by with regular bulbs how bad of a problem is the bulbs going bad and how often?
    4.I have read posts about being prepared and what tools/parts one should always pack with you.. I want to get extra headlight bulbs/brake light bulbs/fuses/and relays which leads me to my next question..
    5.I want to make note that the only parts store chains within a 50 mile driving radius are AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, and NAPA.. if anyone has the part numbers for the spyder bulbs and relays please let me know.. so here is my parts questions
    6.What are the part numbers for the Large Relay, Small Relay, Brake light bulbs, Signal Bulbs?
    7.Are there any specialty tools that I need to do an oil change.. I am going to order the complete change kit from Ken soon..
    8.Where can I find out information about Spyders in the Smokies 2011 I’d love to go..
    9.Why do people call the Spyder a motorcycle? That’s like calling a computer a typewriter... Sure the Spyder has motorcycle DNA but it has evolved far beyond that.. The Spyder is what a Motorcycle wishes it could be.. When Someone asked me about the Spyder and what it was like.. and I told them. “Take away all the worry and negative things about a motorcycle and leave just the thrill and all the fun.. that’s what a Spyder is..”

Thank you all for reading my first post and any help or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.. I would especially like to thank Ken for all his help… and to all of you for your posts, you don’t know how helpful all your information is to all Spyder Fans and Owners.. Feels Great to finally own a Spyder..

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations!!!...............and WELCOME!

I'm sure you will get answers to all of your questions from the knowledgeable members here.

Spyder Garage

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Welcome aboard

Hey SNSTRO,
    finally, another SpyderLover around my age that lives in KY granted, I'm think'n we're many miles apart, but still, makes me
    I live in Covington, on the Ohio river right across from downtown Cincinnati. What rural part of KY are you from

Sorry, I got a lil excited there. I'm the only SpyderRyder (at least in the winter time) around my parts & would love to ryde with other SpyderRyders Teddy (my dog) & I do road-trips all the time, so once it gets warmer & you start get'n out, we'll have to schedule a ryde

I have a 2010 RT-S, so unfortunately, I don't have any answers for your questions. But you've obviously been do'n your homework & learning a lot about being prepared for SpyderLyfe

Welcome to the SpyderHood, & know, you may be a bit Isolated, but your not alone

Spyder Garage

Here's a post for the fuses under the seat:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=fuse

The mini auto fuses up in the trunk section can be picked up at most auto stores.

I'll be back with the relay p/n's that I use and purchased from Mouser.

Look at this post and go down to where the Song Chuan relays are mentioned:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=mouser+relays

I got the relays and fuses from Mouser. As for the bulbs, I've switched to ESI lights. They are a sponsor here. However, if price is a concern, someone here will chime in with individual p/n's for the bulbs.

Here's the Mouser website:

http://www.mouser.com/
    You also may want to check out this post regarding relays coming loose.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=relays
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

and on getting your Spyder.

I will try to answer some of your questions the best I can, and am sure others will chime in later as well.

1. The Spyder fires have been few and far between. Yes, it is a devestating experience for those it has happened to, but in the grand scheme of things the number of fires versus Spyders on the road has been very small. Many of us believe the fires happened only on Spyders that did not have the evap cannister extension hose extension done. If the dealer did that, then hopefully you, along with the rest of us, are good to go.

2. Wrapping the pipes are a personal choice. Mine are wrapped, and there is a huge difference in the amount of heat I get from them. That is a big enough deal that I will take my chances with the possibility of premature rusting.

3. I haven't had any problems with a brake light going out, but they are like any other bulb and can fail at any time. Groundeffect has a good thread on here about modding the cover so you can replace the bulb in less than 5 minutes.

4, 5, and 6. There is nothing wrong with trying to be ready for everything. All of the part numbers you are looking for are available on this forum, but I am not sure if they are all listed in one spot. You may have to do a few searches to find them all.

7. The drain plugs are 2 different sized allen head bolts. Look up Lamont's thread in the How To section and you will find everything you need to know.

8. Apparently there will not be a SitS event this year, it will be in the Adirondacks of New York instead. Information about it might be available on www.spydertalk.com but I am not sure. The BRP Owners Event will be in Maggie Valley this year near the end of June, and that is something you will want to try to make it to, along with Spyderfest the end of April.

9. There is an entire thread on this exact topic of why the Spyder is not a motorcycle. Click on the new posts button up top and you should be able to find it.

I hope that helps get you started in finding all of the answers you are looking for.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

CynCySpyder said it all. I, like you, are a new owner and I experienced a unique problem. The help, and encouragement, I received from this group, and from the factory, has been extraordinary! They really make you pleased with your decision to be a Spyder owner.

Best!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to our little slice of the pie!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I did the tail light modification on mine and I can change a rear bulb in about 15 minutes if that. My first set went 10,000 miles before one burned out.

Fires... Not a rampant issue. Anything can burn for various reasons. Nobody has ever found a core root cause for any of the spyder fires that I'm aware of other than pure speculation.

Tools? I carry just the socket sizes I need for the Spyder, plus the allen, and torx sockets I need for the Spyder with a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet, adapters, and extensions. A multi-bit screwdriver and a couple of box wrenches are in there too. I don't carry headlights. It is unlikely both will blow, and I can wait to hit a parts store for those. I do carry both types of fuses for the Spyder, spare tail light bulbs, spark plugs, dielectric grease, Heat sink compound for the spark plugs, Black RTV, a couple of spare torx bolts and plastic retainers... and a couple of spare relays.

In over 12k of Spyder riding, I've only had to deal with my spark plugs and oil mid-journey.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I believe Yazz put together a comprehensive list of items to carry when traveling. I think, but am not sure, that she may have included p/n's for the various bulbs. Maybe she'll chime in.

Spyder Garage

As for parts I myself have some spare fuses other than that carry none. 16,000 miles only stranded once and no amount of tools would of bailed me out there. Cell phone best insurance enjoy the ryde follow maintenance schedule. Don't get too caught up in reported problems, every machine is different, evaluate any problem you may have and use reported problems posted to diagnose if your symptoms are similar. Don't worry about problems if you are having none. Majority of machines are running great with no problems, until proven otherwise be confident your is in that majority bracket. Again

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I also carry the basic tools and fuses I think I need. You cannot plan for everything that might happen. Just enjoy riding your

Spyder Garage

&
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

and . Your questions have mostly been addressed. Read through older forum threads as you get some time. You will find many issues with the --but most get solved rather quickly. You will find that problems seem to crop up all the time. This is because people tend to be more more vocal about problems than good stuff. You will also find a lot of good stuff about the throughout the threads. The best thing about this site are the knowledgeable people and their willingness to help everyone with advice and solutions to all things Enjoy your new ride.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Most questions have been answred I think.
    Be safe and have fun
    OldManZues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

ON.

Just do a search for your questions, lots of posts .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

PE #2735
    RUBBER SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE UP!!!!!!!!!!
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

This web site is an awesome place to meet fellow ryders and to get all of your questions answered

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Lovers everywhere!!! Welcome to the ZOO!!! the spyder house!!! You WILL have fun with your spyder, and think positive bad things happen to all kinds of folks and that doesn't mean that that can happen to you. The is a wonderful machine. Ryde it like no tommorrow!!! Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Welcome

Whenever a bird s***s on my Spyder,
    I eat a plate of scrambled eggs on my front porch,
    Just to let them know what i'm capable of.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome and here's a post of an issue to take care of ASAP

Hello SNSTRO. Welcome. I have a post that I posted some time ago regarding the rear red reflector located on the back fender. It is attached to the fender with (1) single screw that comes loose/ breaks etc. Costs quite a bit of money because you have to replace the whole piece, not just the reflector. Above $50 bucks. I have used black electrical tape to keep the new one secure. I'm not the only one here that have lost this so I would put it as a priority to get that tape on there or whatever you decide to do to secure it. Glad you got a Spyder and as others have said before, get ready to be a rock star!!!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16029

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome SNSTRO

So, do I detect a Green Lantern reference? Welcome to the Spyder nest. Alot of good, knowledgable people on this site. Lamonster among others. You will always get an answer to your questions. Take care.

Spyder Garage

and I myself was in the same boat as you were, but thanks to reviewing the threads here I had my answers and LOVE my
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5