View Poll Results: thumbs up/down on RT purchase

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am ecstatic about my upgrade from RS to RT

21 28.38%
  • Thumbs up, the RT is my first ryde

31 41.89%
  • So what's all the hub-bub about? Its just another 3 wheeler.

7 9.46%
  • Thumbs down. Bad decision.

9 12.16%
  • I wish the Holy 5 RT Ambassadors can just stuff it.

9 12.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am seriously

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I am seriously

considering making a move from the 2008 GS to the RT. I know that most RT owners love their decision, and I know many GS/RS owners will never make the move. But how many RT owners have regretted their decision? I will be retiring in 169 days (but who's counting) so theoretically, this will be my final big purchase (I'll let the wife make the future ones). Also, please state if you are a previous Spyder owner.

PS: I LOVE my GS with a passion. 18,000 problem free miles other than a few computer hiccups. Nothing mechanical....I think.

BTW..where's the poll tool? I was thinking of employing it on this question.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might to contact Harddrive; he did exactly what you're considering...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yep, bob is right...we made the switch this weekend.

I had an 08 GS SM5 that had very little problems that I loved to ride. I did not have it too long as I got it used from a buddy. I could ride it fine, but when me and my wife would ride 2 up, it was very uncomfortable for us, but her especially.

What made us do it is when we ride on the weekend, it is common for me and my buddies to ride 300+ miles on a saturday. Well, a few saturdays ago, we all went riding for the day and my wife 1st long ride on it and she was misurable...even with the corbin seat.

I found a Silver 2010 RT Audio SM5 and went to look at it. I love silver and when I saw it in person, I was sold. To me as a driver, there is not too much difference between the 2, both handle great but as a passenger, the RT takes the cake...(the radio and cruise helps also).

Hope this helps. I would look around and find one you can go ride for the day...

Harddrive.

Spyder Garage

GS to RT is a personal decision like rain gear or helmets. I did it and have no regrets. I am a touring bike person, so the amenities of the RTS were just right for me. I had the GS quite farkeled up with touring amenities before trading it off. In my opinion the GS was more "sport bike" than "touring bike". The problems and reliability issues with RT's seem to be getting worked out as I dont see quite as many of them on the site as before. I have not had any mechanical problems with mine (15,000 miles) other than one computer glitch was was easily reset.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Touring & Polling

Desert Spyder,

I've not owned an RS/GS but did take a few for multiple test rydes when try'n to make my decision & found that the RS/GS is more akin to a crotch-rocket, sport byke style & the RT more akin to the GoldWing/touring machines. Since I knew I was going to be taking my machine on long distance road-trips, that sealed the deal for me. I don't think you would regret it at all, especially with having a passenger, as she will be in total luxury compared to the RS/GS in my humble opinion. Add to that the amount of additional storage space for those long trips is much more than on the RS/GS, I think you will be very happy with your decision.

To post a POLL with your Thread, just keep going all the way down to the end of the posting page below where you can add pics & I believe the last Option will be to add a POLL to your post.

Hope this helps & I'm sure you will make the best decision for you. It's all about ryding styles & IMHO the RT-S is the only way to go for Touring & Long Road-trips, especially with a passenger along for the Ryde!

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, to make it a poll, it is under the Thread tool drop down...I think you have to do it as the creater of the thread as I don't see that option.

I would have loved to keep my GS and have the RT, but the garage space is limited...

Spyder Garage

OK there's the poll. It is only for present RT owners since I know most RS owners would love to have the RT anyway.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    OK there's the poll. It is only for present RT owners since I know most RS owners would love to have the RT anyway.

Brian, you know my answer. The Rt is a lot more comfortable. We got the BareBone, but it has all the goodies on it that I need. The cruise control is used every time we go out. It now has 3400 miles and today marks 2 months of ownership. It had a leaking air shock that was fixed and is now just a humming jewel. Good luck on finding a good deal.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    You are most wrong on that assumption. The RT is pretty to look at but it's too big and bulky for my tastes. I see no advantage to the RT over the RS but that's just IMHO.

Spyder Garage

You are most wrong on that assumption. The RT is pretty to look at but it's too big and bulky for my tastes. I see no advantage to the RT over the RS but that's just IMHO.

The key word in Brian's post was "most". You see no advantage because you have no need. Brian rides with his wife as I do with mine and my wife rode over 40,000 miles with me on our 2008 SE5 which we traded on the RT. There is no right or wrong in his assumption. From the posts I have read, the beauty of the RT is the comfort it gives to our riding companions.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee... The wheelbases of the two rides are identical, and I think that the RT might only be an inch or so wider... The 200 pound weight increase is where the comforts and storage space are; which is why a person might be considering the change...
    "Each to his own notion..."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well, I didn't want to purchase ANY new bike at the present time. Other than parting with the green stuff ( $$$$), I have NO regrets on our decision to bite the bullet and get the RT.
    As the passenger I can tell you that the seat set up surrounding and cupping my back is awesome. Those 10,000 plus miles we did on our journey in 2009 and the total 40,000 miles when we traded on the SE5 wasn't too bad all considered, but I would love to do it again on the RT just to see how it works.
    It's wonderful to have adjustable foot boards; Dudley keeps lowering them as we do different rides until we finally find the position that works best for me. NO regrets Brian and Joy would love it. Instead of a retirement trip to Europe, spend the money here.
    Last edited by Kjen; 12-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Happy Spyder owner.

Spyder Garage

Wink

I would do your pole, but I do not believe you are looking for input from our reasoning to purchase. Because none of the options simply say...

I am ecstatic about my upgrade from any other ryde to the RT

One other comment... Once my wife rode on the RS she never wanted to be a passenger on it ever again.. Hence the reason we got the RT...
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 12-13-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Actually you should post this poll in the RT touring section as many don't visit the General section as mostly RS/GS stuff gets discussed here.

As far as the bikes, they are both great. Every RS owner I have come into contact with loves their ride. The RT is a beast, you can stow more stuff comfortably, and with the trailer it
    replaces my car for long trips or running over to Home Depot to pick something up. If this is your big purchase then go all out and get every bell and whistle. When two up, the
    communication system is so underrated. The helmets with music for front and back passanger and being able to communicate bike to bike via CB, I mean come on people. Right now
    everybody I ride with does not have the Communication system, but if they did it would make the trips even more fun and exciting to take instead of every 125 miles or so gasing up and
    catching up on what each others ride was like. Heck we would already know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gee... The wheelbases of the two rides are identical, and I think that the RT might only be an inch or so wider... The 200 pound weight increase is where the comforts and storage space are; which is why a person might be considering the change...
    "Each to his own notion..."
    Did you have to mention the 200 lbs weight gain? This gives my wife more ammo to tell me to lose weight ;-)

BTW...how is the handling different with the weight difference? Noticeable. Twisties still awesome?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Actually you should post this poll in the RT touring section as many don't visit the General section as mostly RS/GS stuff gets discussed here.

As far as the bikes, they are both great. Every RS owner I have come into contact with loves their ride. The RT is a beast, you can stow more stuff comfortably, and with the trailer it
    replaces my car for long trips or running over to Home Depot to pick something up. If this is your big purchase then go all out and get every bell and whistle. When two up, the
    communication system is so underrated. The helmets with music for front and back passanger and being able to communicate bike to bike via CB, I mean come on people. Right now
    everybody I ride with does not have the Communication system, but if they did it would make the trips even more fun and exciting to take instead of every 125 miles or so gasing up and
    catching up on what each others ride was like. Heck we would already know.
    Jer, I think you have a good idea. I'll copy and paste the question on the RT side as well. Thanks
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RT is so not for me. When I trade my GS up, it will be for an RS. I can understand the RT's appeal to touring folks, however.

Spyder Garage

The first time I saw an RS I thought it was huge! Having one, I have gotten used to it. But, even being used to the size of an RS, the RT looks huge beyond huge! I don't know. I just don't see me, being not that big a woman, being comfortable ryding one. I may be completely wrong. But, it just looks like too much machine for me.

I do half or more of my ryding with my hubby on the back. Gosh, he fought me about getting a backrest and foot peg extentions!! He insisted he was fine without. But, I have won that fight because we're getting those things. I can't help but think he'll be more comfortable back there. I know I will feel better knowing there's something behind him. I was so worried about him going off the back. He says there was never a risk of that happening. But I worried.

But all these things considered, we have not done real long rydes and don't plan on doing much more than "day trips". The RS is fine for us.
    Marilyn

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll stay with the RS until something sportier is coming out.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I'll stay with the RS until something sportier is coming out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The key word in Brian's post was "most". You see no advantage because you have no need. Brian rides with his wife as I do with mine and my wife rode over 40,000 miles with me on our 2008 SE5 which we traded on the RT. There is no right or wrong in his assumption. From the posts I have read, the beauty of the RT is the comfort it gives to our riding companions.
    Unless there has been a poll of all RS/GS owners and more say they wish they had an RT, the word 'most' is incorrect. But, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Unless there has been a poll of all RS/GS owners and more say they wish they had an RT, the word 'most' is incorrect. But, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

That is true..."most" is relative, like "plenty", "a lot", "big". It all depends on what the person posting envisions when doing so. And a poll is not scientific. It is just to give someone an idea.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

I wish the Holy 5 RT Ambassadors can just stuff it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The RT, for me, just looses the bad-ass look of the RS. But if I was a long range rider I might change my mind as thats where most of the advantages are.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires