• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

Thoughts on ever-changing vehicle needs and wants

UtahPete

Well-known member
Over the years, I've had a variety of interesting and not-so-interesting vehicles, reflecting my changing lifestyle wants and financial realities at the time. In 2018, I bought what I thought at the time would be my last "forever" vehicle, a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 4-banger diesel engine. At the time, diesel cost no more than mid-grade gasoline, and this thing got at least 30% better fuel mileage than my Nissan Xterra, while providing more comfort, updated electronics, better towing and greater hauling capacity. Even when diesel prices made the fuel mileage advantage disappear, I liked the truck a lot and planned to keep it forever.

A little over a month ago, I got rear-ended by an inattentive driver and the insurance company declared the truck 'totalled', forcing me to go look for a replacement. After a lot of research, I ended up getting a 2026 Ford Maverick Hybrid with the 4k towing package. It's a completely different animal from the Canyon, but it fits with my new reality as I approach the 80 year mark on my original body. It's smaller so it fits more easily into my crowded garage, it still has a (smaller) truck bed which is adequate for my needs now I'm not doing so much work on my house and yard, and at 4k it can still tow my Scamp 16' camping trailer. And, it's a blast to drive! Acceleration is amazing for its combination gas engine and electric motor, handling in the twisties is less ponderous - and it gets 35-45 mpg on regular gas! I got it in a powder blue - reminiscent of the 60s era cars I lusted after but couldn't afford - so it's real easy to spot in the Costco parking lot.

All in all, a good outcome from what was sort of a life-changing event.
 
Diesels used to be a great deal.
We had a 1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup with 2.4 diesel.
Fuel was about 30 cent's a gallon cheaper and it got about 10mpg better on the highway than the 2.4 gas 4x4 it replaced.
Now it is a different story.
 
Interesting topic. It caused me to think back. From my early years of hot-rodding to today having a Buick as my daily driver. But I still keep my old blue pony (Mustang) convertible to feed my need for staying young (in my mind). Prior to retirement, I lived in the Pacific Northwest most of my life. Motorcycles, boats, and cars were lifestyle defining vehicles. I was very heavily into boating and the yachting community in addition to motorcycle clubs and groups. Reluctantly a lot of those activities are now behind me due to economic, age, and mobility factors. What were lifetime forever vehicles and activities are no longer...... Change happens. Now, I'm grateful for the memories and what I'm still able to do.....
 
I did the same thing you did and at about the same time. My 2016 Colorado diesel (same engine as the GMC Canyon) with 65,000 miles) had become unreliable due to the EPA mandated post treatment DPF and catalyst reductive DEF systems. I had spent over $3,000 in repairs over the last year and a half. Worse even than the cost is that on a diesel system an exhaust system fault triggers a mileage countdown to power reduction. First 125 miles to a 55 mph limit, then an additional 50 miles to a 25 mph limit, followed in 25 miles by a 5 mph limit. No option to continue driving with the check engine light on. Crossing the desert in New Mexico and Arizona during the summer could become a life threatening situation. Although I loved the fuel mileage and towing capacity of the Colorado I traded it in or a used 2025 Maverick with the 2.0L turbo Eco-Boost engine and all wheel drive. I get the same fuel mileage with the Maverick that I had gotten with the diesel (mid 20's in town and low 30's on the highway) on regular 87 fuel, but at $2/gallon less than the current diesel cost.

The Colorado diesel was the only truck capable of that kind of fuel mileage when I bought it in 2017 and it was going to be my retirement truck; things just didn't work out. As it was, I had only "towed heavy" with the Colorado twice in the 9 years I owned it, so it was capacity I really didn't need. The Maverick is slightly smaller than the Colorado, but it still has enough room in the back seat for the three dogs, and the bed is only 6" shorter. Furthermore, the lower height of the front seat is easier for my wife to climb into. I would have kept the Colorado and dealt with the higher temporary diesel costs, but I just lost confidence in it as a long distance road trip vehicle.
 
My Colorado was reliable. I did have one instance of reduced power which was easily and relatively inexpensively fixed with a NOx sensor replacement. I towed cross country to Florida and back with no problems. Of course, being registered in Utah it didn't have to comply with California EPA requirements.

I lucked out with getting the Maverick model year I did because it's the first year with AWD on the Hybrid and 4k towing. Amazing technology; I'm really impressed.
 
I just got back from a 550 mile round trip to SC on my forever truck. It's a 2002 Ford Lightning and gets the same 15 mpg today with 91k miles, that it got 24 years ago when I purchased it with 10k miles. It is not good on gas, but it is my hot rod, work truck, and vacation ride all rolled into one.

4579309.jpg
 
My Colorado was stone axe reliable until it wasn't. Mine was three different de-rates over the 18 months; two replaced DEF injectors and a replaced DPF fuel injector. In all three cases, the check engine light and de-rate occurred in my driveway, but right after returning from 1,200 mile road trips which had been otherwise flawless. It was the uncertainty about being stuck on the road somewhere in BFE with the dogs in the back seat that prompted my decision.

I had been researching the hybrid, but I got a smokin' deal on the eco-boost and even with the better fuel mileage it would have taken me 11 years to make up the difference. Besides, with 250 HP and 280 ft/lb of torque, that little 2.0L eco-boost is really fun to drive.
 
Back
Top