Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Always terrible to hear this kind of thing. God Bless the family. There are always real hazards out there.

Spyder Garage

Very sad....my thoughts are with his family. I think distracted driving has surpassed DUI as the number one threat to other drivers no matter what they are driving!
    Last edited by Buggy; 06-12-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default News story

Here is the TV news story on this.

Looks like they will be checking the ladies phone for distracted driving. That is what the news reported said.

Also details showing the seen, looks like he was not wearing a helmet.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29...rking-for-days

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Flashing brake lights may of helped mounted high on the trunk to get attention. Maybe, maybe not. You are a sitting Duck at stop lights and even Stop signs. Bright clothing and the continuous flashing brake lights when stopped is about all we can do other than outlawing cell phones in cars--that's not going to happen.

Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway. Perhaps a device that blocks off cell reception in cars while running would be the answer. Just another unrealistic pipe dream.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 06-13-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    one of my absolute worst fears is getting run over from behind, thats the reason i am always in gear and looking in the mirrors at any intersection
    unfortunately this was avoidable and she should be charged
    That is one of my worst fears as well. I'm also always looking behind me whenever I have to stop. PLUS, I installed the Signal Dynamics Wig-Wag brake modulator. I like the way it alternates from one side to the other, and then changes to flashing both sides simultaneously. People behind me on rides tell me that it REALLY gets their attention.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway.
    Same here in Pennsylvania. I don't know why the cops let it go. And talking on cell phones is just as bad. The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? She was already parked! GEESH!!!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? She was already parked! GEESH!!!
    I've seen that in all kinds of places, supermarkets, doctors offices, church, you name it. Just self-absorbed people mentality, get in the cage and proceed with whatever you want to do. Oh, and if you want to drive that's OK too!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

so so sad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on the amount of damage that I'm seeing, and comparing it to other accidents of this type; she never touched her brakes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Flashing brake lights may of helped mounted high on the trunk to get attention. Maybe, maybe not. You are a sitting Duck at stop lights and even Stop signs. Bright clothing and the continuous flashing brake lights when stopped is about all we can do other than outlawing cell phones in cars--that's not going to happen.

Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway. Perhaps a device that blocks off cell reception in cars while running would be the answer. Just another unrealistic pipe dream.

Jack
    My thoughts to out to that man's family and friends. And that lady will have to live with what she did for the rest of her life.

Cell blockers are illegal per FCC regulations. You cannot even legally buy one in the US. 8 yrs ago, I designed and had a working model that blocked cell service in a vehicle (2.5m range from center) IF the vehicle was in motion. Took it to an attorney and his research found the regulation.

NHTSA study done 3 years ago indicated that texting while driving was similar to driving at 4x the legal limit for alcohol. I hate to see another life lost or ruined, but if an example was made of an offender, and the news picked up on it, then and only then will progress be made in stopping texting and driving.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    A couple of links about it.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/ne...ster/71020624/

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/mic...lyndon-redford

Traffic light was not working. 37 year old woman driving a Chrysler hit him. Alcohol and speed not considered to be factors. Nothing more said about why the woman hit him.
    It seems like the news wants to blame the traffic light or those responsible for its maintenance. Isn't it clear that the cause of the crash was that she didn't stop. She is totally responsible. Why didn't she stop? Well I don't think it matters if she knew the law about broken lights because I doubt she even saw the light or bike. Probably had her head buried in her phone. If your involved in an accident and it is found that you were using a phone at the time it ought to be an automatic suspension. Just like DUI's

Just so sad.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    It seems like the news wants to blame the traffic light or those responsible for its maintenance. Isn't it clear that the cause of the crash was that she didn't stop. She is totally responsible. Why didn't she stop? Well I don't think it matters if she knew the law about broken lights because I doubt she even saw the light or bike. Probably had her head buried in her phone. If your involved in an accident and it is found that you were using a phone at the time it ought to be an automatic suspension. Just like DUI's

Just so sad.
    IF, and it's a big IF at this point in time, she was using her phone when she hit him, her life is ruined. Makes no difference if she was a secretary, heart surgeon, or a CEO, her life is ruined. We ALL need to remember it only takes a moment of inattention to destroy our entire life. Even when we're just ryding our s.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the tv news report it looked pretty clear the rider was not wearing a helmet.
    They showed a sceen of his hat laying in the road.

I wonder if his death would have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

Would be good to know what his injuries were so we could all learn from it.

Bob

Spyder Garage

IF, and it's a big IF at this point in time, she was using her phone when she hit him, her life is ruined. Makes no difference if she was a secretary, heart surgeon, or a CEO, her life is ruined. We ALL need to remember it only takes a moment of inattention to destroy our entire life. Even when we're just ryding our s.
    Ruined? There was a fire chief around the area where I live who was texting his wife, asking the kind of pizza she wanted for supper, when he veered on to the shoulder of the road, and killed a 12 year old girl riding a bicycle. No charges were brought against him, he didn't lose his job, or his license. I believe his attorney got him off because his (the fire chief) job required he'd be able to use his cell phone at all times.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-13-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Here is the TV news story on this.

Looks like they will be checking the ladies phone for distracted driving. That is what the news reported said.

Also details showing the seen, looks like he was not wearing a helmet.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29...rking-for-days

Bob
    For some reason the video doesn't want to play. Wouldn't even play for me when I clicked on it on the station's web site.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For some reason the video doesn't want to play. Wouldn't even play for me when I clicked on it on the station's web site.
    Not sure why your having a problem. I watched it this AM on my PC and just watched it again just now on my phone. No problem.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think that HER life is ruined; what do you think happened to the life of her victim?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

His bike looks pretty creamed, but not having a helmet if true was dumb. Now the question, Should we put a seat belt on the spyder? Obviously, on a 2 wheeler, it wouldn't really help, but in light of the fact even this one didn't flip over. I'm just wondering if staying with the bike is safer than flying through the air hitting something even the ground would be worse.

Here (almost) every time there is a wreck with migrants they aren't wearing a seat belt and are thrown out of the vehicle and usually killed. I haven't riden all of that much yet, but every time that I get on the bike, my normal thought is fasten your seat belt. When younger I flipped 2 cars and the seat belt did save my life or at least from injury.

The Slingshot has belts. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Not sure why your having a problem. I watched it this AM on my PC and just watched it again just now on my phone. No problem.

Bob
    Interesting! I just watched it on my Samsung tablet. When it started on the tablet it barely started and then went to an ad. I wonder if an ad blocker in my browser hung it up. It hasn't blocked video ads on other TV web sites.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I keep a ball cap with my motorcycle to wear when I take my helmet off if I am going to be out in the sun as my hair is cut short and I don't want to burn. What we saw may have been his extra hat...

In the tv news report it looked pretty clear the rider was not wearing a helmet.
    They showed a sceen of his hat laying in the road.

I wonder if his death would have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

Would be good to know what his injuries were so we could all learn from it.

Bob
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Condolences to the family

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Same here in Pennsylvania. I don't know why the cops let it go. And talking on cell phones is just as bad. The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? She was already parked! GEESH!!!
    I've witnessed cops texting and on their cells while driving. Some folks will continue to do it no matter what laws are on the books or passed.
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Distracted driving....

This is a link to a horrendous accident that happened in IL where I used to live. What made it even worse was that the driver of the car nearly got off with just a slap on the wrist until there was a huge outcry from the motorcycle community. The thing I always thought about was that it didn't have to be a motorcycle, it could have been a pedestrian, or kids on bikes, etc. There was no way this woman could excuse what she did. Background information - she was a nurse, and the motorcyclist was a very experienced rider, also a woman. The intersection where this occurred is a very busy one, 4 lanes going north-south, intersecting a busy 2 lane going east-west. The impact of the collision was so severe that the victim's spine was separated from the skull and the pelvis. She had no chance whatsoever. I think of her every time I'm at an intersection.

https://shar.es/12EkAl

Spyder Garage

Default My Condolences

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    one of my absolute worst fears is getting run over from behind, thats the reason i am always in gear and looking in the mirrors at any intersection
    unfortunately this was avoidable and she should be charged

I Concur, Very Sad my worse Fear too!, My Condolences to the Family,

Very Sad Day for the Spyder Family, so hard Loosing one of our own.

Midnightbreeze .

Spyder Garage

Default Another deadky accident yesterday in Quebec.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-in-lanaudiere

Another deadly Spyder accident yesterday in St-Cuthbert (Quebec). The Spyder was hit by behind by a car on highway 138. The Spyder passenger died last night at the hospital. She was in critical condition when EMS arrive at the scene.

The car driver was a 70 years old woman.