Spyder Garage

Default got rear ended or "MY LUCKY DAY"

Got rear-ended yesterday afternoon. I was riding down a 2 lane highway trying to catch the next ferry over to the Seattle side of the Puget Sound. It's raining hard and traffic is moving fast so I've backed way off the Ford 150 in front of me. HOlY ##**!! He decided to drop anchor and make an illegal left across a double yellow. I grabbed my hand brake and foot pedal and planted the spyder. And then it happened!! The spyder kind of bucked and shuddered and in my peripheral vision I see a car that was behind me swerve to my right - leave the road - down into the ditch - travel past me and between a mailbox on a steel post and another steel post with a bunch of reflectors and stop before hitting a culvert pipe running under a driveway. The young lady driving the car gets out and is pretty shook up. Crying and having a hard time walking in the muddy ditch. The good news is no one is hurt and my spyder just sustained minor damage to the right saddlebag and her car has some broken plastic grill parts but nothing serious. Hard to believe , but she traveled between those 2 posts and stopped short of the culvert. I should have immediately stopped at a store and bought a lottery ticket but I had left Ilwaco on the WA coast in the early morning and had been riding all day in rain and fog and I just wanted to get home and dry off - but yesterday was MY LUCKY DAY.
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are okay, usually vehicle and motorcycle "meetings" don't go as well.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes and no....

really glad you were able to stop and the lady behind you managed a slick manuver like that. Lucky no one was seriously injured and damages were at a minimum...be safe out there..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinderjoe View Post
    Got rear-ended yesterday afternoon. I was riding down a 2 lane highway trying to catch the next ferry over to the Seattle side of the Puget Sound. It's raining hard and traffic is moving fast so I've backed way off the Ford 150 in front of me. HOlY ##**!! He decided to drop anchor and make an illegal left across a double yellow. I grabbed my hand brake and foot pedal and planted the spyder. And then it happened!! The spyder kind of bucked and shuddered and in my peripheral vision I see a car that was behind me swerve to my right - leave the road - down into the ditch - travel past me and between a mailbox on a steel post and another steel post with a bunch of reflectors and stop before hitting a culvert pipe running under a driveway. The young lady driving the car gets out and is pretty shook up. Crying and having a hard time walking in the muddy ditch. The good news is no one is hurt and my spyder just sustained minor damage to the right saddlebag and her car has some broken plastic grill parts but nothing serious. Hard to believe , but she traveled between those 2 posts and stopped short of the culvert. I should have immediately stopped at a store and bought a lottery ticket but I had left Ilwaco on the WA coast in the early morning and had been riding all day in rain and fog and I just wanted to get home and dry off - but yesterday was MY LUCKY DAY.
    Lived on Bainbridge Is. for 25 years. Rushing to the Ferry causes many accidents.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK this weird weather with rain one minute and the sun the minute makes for dangerous driving conditions I just saw on the news there was a 15 car accident just north of you on I-5 at Mount Vernon

Spyder Garage

Default slow down

some one might have been killed. you have got to slow down. deer runneroverer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad your ok!

Spyder Garage

Glad you're okay! The Big Guy upstairs was watching!
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why do people lecture someone about their speed, when none of us were there? He said he gave himself more room to the car in front due to the weather. Why isn't that statement good enough for some of you?

Regardless of the lectures, I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you got caught in the middle of this...

...But happy to hear that it could have been a heckuva lot worse!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Very lucky.....the big Guy was watching and has other plans for you. Ride safe and be safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK! Bike parts can be replaced!

Spyder Garage

Did the woman that hit you have insurance and are they going to repair your bike appropriately? Don't forget about diminished value.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are OK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default lecture

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Why do people lecture someone about their speed, when none of us were there? He said he gave himself more room to the car in front due to the weather. Why isn't that statement good enough for some of you?

Regardless of the lectures, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
    I am the guy saying we all need to slow down. I would never try to lecture anyone at any time about any thing. my post will always be to be safe but if that seems like a lecture to you deer slayer

Spyder Garage

Glad you are okay. Getting to that ferry is always dangerous, especially while raining.

Btw...I love Puget. Amazing views and very nice people.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sure it would have been a different outcome if you were riding a 2-wheeler. Glad you both are ok!