Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance feedback, not a intended to be a price discussion.

I got my renewal from Progressive yesterday. I knew it was coming and I knew I was paying too much for Progressive. Flo just really wanted to push me to look elsewhere this year....

So I did. Got quotes for our two Spyder from a number of companies. All our other insurance (home, cars etc) is through State Farm. They told me to take the motorcycles elsewhere years ago as they know they are not competitive in that market. Checked yesterday and they still are not. They were more than Progressive, the highest quote of the day.

My quotes, from cheapest to most expensive line up like this:

Nationwide
    Geico
    Allstate
    AARP/Foremost
    Elephant / Merkel
    Progressive
    State Farm

I also checked with AARP/Hartford, Dairyland, Rider and they do not offer motorcycle coverage in Texas or did not have ratings for the Spyder.

Nationwide, Geico and Allstate are grouped withing a range of $100. Nationwide is actually offering the best policy with options like vanishing deductible, roadside assistance and $3k of accessories coverage that the others charge extra for or do not offer.

I am tempted to go ahead with Nationwide but I have never done business with them and am looking for some feedback from others that have. Also any words of wisdom on policy options we might have overlooked might be helpful. Please do not turn this into a 'my policy costs xxx' list.

And just for reference, Nationwide, Geico and Allstate are all 1/3 the price Progressive wants for the renewal...and we never filed a claim with Progressive since we started with them in 2008.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 03-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nationwide is a Company that has been around for years, and (up here!), their reputation is pretty solid.
    Is the American Modern Home Group** selling in your State? I use them in my office, and they've been SUPER competitive in pricing, and just plain SUPER in claims service!

** American Modern Home, American Family Home, American Reliable...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default effective today

I have Nationwide, the cost was about half what Dairyland wanted to renew my coverage. Discount for paying in full, being a AMA member, seems like a third one I can't remember. Dairyland has insured my RT in Texas for the last 2 years, your agent must not have looked hard enough. Not that it matters.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Default insurance

Check formost with AARP, good deal I had progressive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

remember insurance is WORTHLESS until you need them so just do the number crunch they all pretty
    much handle a claim the same way. all that matters is what they put down in writing that they give you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I got my renewal from Progressive yesterday. I knew it was coming and I knew I was paying too much for Progressive. Flo just really wanted to push me to look elsewhere this year....

So I did. Got quotes for our two Spyder from a number of companies. All our other insurance (home, cars etc) is through State Farm. They told me to take the motorcycles elsewhere years ago as they know they are not competitive in that market. Checked yesterday and they still are not. They were more than Progressive, the highest quote of the day.

My quotes, from cheapest to most expensive line up like this:

Nationwide
    Geico
    Allstate
    Elephant / Merkel
    Progressive
    State Farm

I also checked with AARP/Hartford, Dairyland, Rider and they do not offer motorcycle coverage in Texas or did not have ratings for the Spyder.

Nationwide, Geico and Allstate are grouped withing a range of $100. Nationwide is actually offering the best policy with options like vanishing deductible, roadside assistance and $3k of accessories coverage that the others charge extra for or do not offer.

I am tempted to go ahead with Nationwide but I have never done business with them and am looking for some feedback from others that have. Also any words of wisdom on policy options we might have overlooked might be helpful. Please do not turn this into a 'my policy costs xxx' list.

And just for reference, Nationwide, Geico and Allstate are all 1/3 the price Progressive wants for the renewal...and we never filed a claim with Progressive since we started with them in 2008.
    Your discussion of insurance was timely as I'm currently doing a little shopping. Got my recent renewal from Allied Ins. and they raised my vanishing deductible but also raised the premium about 4% AND I had no claims.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you looked at Foremost? Others here have recomended them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Foremost with a $1000.00 deductible it only 249 a year on my F3
    Last edited by one2doo; 03-25-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Didn't finish

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nationwide is on your side, right? I have Progressive and $3,000 of accessory coverage is included and that amount can be increased up to $10,000. They also offer replacement coverage for bikes that are no more than 2 model years old. With the rapid depreciation that Spyders seem to take that seemed to be a good bet. Would have come in handy on my 2013 if I had needed to use it after the fire.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I found State Farm the least expensive. Of course I've been with them for 40 years. A pretty big factor, when pricing, is location.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please remember; Price means nothing... if the claims service isn't good!
    The cheapest price may not get you the service that you need, if things get ugly!

Spyder Garage

i also have state farm , but i have it for homeowners,camper,suburban,wifes nissan and daughters toyota, i think full coverage is about $250 for the year

Spyder Garage

Ok, thanks for the suggestions so far. Just got a quote from Foremost/ AARP, they are cheaper than Progressive but more than the 3 best bids. In line with Merkel. Sent a request to American Modern, said they would have an agent contact me, no online quote.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    i also have state farm , but i have it for homeowners,camper,suburban,wifes nissan and daughters toyota, i think full coverage is about $250 for the year

Odd. I have SF for the house and all other vehicles and they wanted near 1800 for the two spyders. Guess its Houston. So not an option for me.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had GEICO for all my cars since I returned from Korea in 1983. When I got my Spyder, I went with them, as well. During those years, through multiple claims for vandalism, deer strikes, being rear-ended by uninsured driver, etc., they have always blown me away with their fast and very helpful service. They are not the very cheapest I can get, but they are within $100 a year of the best price I found, and that small amount is well worth the peace of mind to me, knowing that if there is an issue, I won't be involved in a fight to get compensated for my loss . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    When you quote a price it means nothing unless you quote the exact coverage that you have. We need to compare apples with apples. Full coverage does not mean much without exactly what is all covered. I have seen anywhere from $1000 to $250 which tells me we are not comparing the same things.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Your discussion of insurance was timely as I'm currently doing a little shopping. Got my recent renewal from Allied Ins. and they raised my vanishing deductible but also raised the premium about 4% AND I had no claims.
    BIG F
    I just noticed that the insurance I have with Allied Ins. is in fact a Nationwide company??? I have a 2014 RT Limited and the renewal was $373.65 annually. don't know if that is a good rate or not????

BIG F

Spyder Garage

i meant for just the motorcycle when quoting price but i was more interested in the fact that you said state farm told you to take your bike elsewhere, this is my 3rd bike insured by them and they are very competitive with excellent coverage and claim service

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I found State Farm the least expensive. Of course I've been with them for 40 years. A pretty big factor, when pricing, is location.
    Me Too with State Farm since 1965. They have all my vehicles and my home. They have always come through when I have put in a claim.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

IMHO I wouldn't ever buy Progressive Insurance. Would go without first. Check out their CEO and Connections.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default insurance

I had state farm when i crashed my 2013 RTS and they tried to lower the reimbursement for my bike which had over $4000 in accessories. They do not cover your bike like your car. I dropped them and purchased AARP/Foremost insurance and have filed two claims with them. They are so fast and put money in my account within a few days to pay my claim. They are the best out there for bike insurance. They are well worth the $900 i spend. All my accessories are covered including my trailer for $10,000. I have a $250 deductible. I love them. They are johnny on the spot for claims. I have towing and everything my car has.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLegMac View Post
    I had state farm when i crashed my 2013 RTS and they tried to lower the reimbursement for my bike which had over $4000 in accessories. They do not cover your bike like your car. I dropped them and purchased AARP/Foremost insurance and have filed two claims with them. They are so fast and put money in my account within a few days to pay my claim. They are the best out there for bike insurance. They are well worth the $900 i spend. All my accessories are covered including my trailer for $10,000. I have a $250 deductible. I love them. They are johnny on the spot for claims. I have towing and everything my car has.
    RE: State Farm: I had damage to my 2014 RT from hitting a dog. Over $1,800. The bike was fixed within a couple weeks (had to wait for some parts), the claim was paid in full, and my rates were not increased.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had SF for 40 years, home and vehicles. When we got our first Spyder they wouldn't touch it. Our agent said they wouldn't insure it. I went with Foremost. About two years later I received a letter from State Farm that my homeowners rates would go up 10% above the state allowed limit. If I didn't accept their terms within 30 days, I would have all coverage dropped. Now this is happening with several insurance companies here in NC. I dropped SF.

I went with Farm Bureau. They gave me much better coverage at a much cheaper rate than SF. And their claims service is really good. They are a part of American Farm Bureau Federation. This is a non profit organization. You don't have to be a farmer either. There is a yearly membership fee of $25.00.

Not to be confused with Farmers Insurance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    IMHO I wouldn't ever buy Progressive Insurance. Would go without first. Check out their CEO and Connections.
    This is an Urban Legend without truth...
    I do not like, and do not use them; but fair is fair...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have geico, best price i can get, and i have one arm and one leg left in the bank