Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Tensioner

Has anyone bought the Baker Built Belt Tensioner and installed it on there RTS. I have a 2014 RTS and have been thinking about buying a belt tensioner and I see the Baker Built is about $60.00 cheaper than the spyderpops unit. So my question for the owners who bought the Bake Built Tensioner, how's it holding up and working or is this a case of you get what you pay for??
    Thanks for any input you might have.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercamp13 View Post
    Has anyone bought the Baker Built Belt Tensioner and installed it on there RTS. I have a 2014 RTS and have been thinking about buying a belt tensioner and I see the Baker Built is about $60.00 cheaper than the spyderpops unit. So my question for the owners who bought the Bake Built Tensioner, how's it holding up and working or is this a case of you get what you pay for??

Just dont do it. Get the SmoothSpyder tensioner.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Baker Built unit.... went on easily. works well.... no issues yet after about 1000 miles. You do have to trim a bit off the belt guard.... a dremmel works well.

YMMV.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Before trying a belt tensioner... try this... it works.

Try putting a dab of GREASE on the belt TEETH and ride a few minutes to let it distribute.
    That was a dealer tip I got and it worked! New belts have deep teeth and don't release easily from the drive sprocket causing it to lag for a millisecond... thus causing it to wobble like a plucked guitar string when it does release. A dab the sized of a pencil eraser will do.

Totally cured my 4100rpm and 5500rpm maddening vibration.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexGEOas View Post
    Try putting a dab of GREASE on the belt TEETH and ride a few minutes to let it distribute.
    That was a dealer tip I got and it worked! New belts have deep teeth and don't release easily from the drive sprocket causing it to lag for a millisecond... thus causing it to wobble like a plucked guitar string when it does release. A dab the sized of a pencil eraser will do.

Totally cured my 4100rpm and 5500rpm maddening vibration.

Good luck.
    I find your response very interesting. Has anybody tried belt dressing for this problem? I was not aware that the teeth could get hung up in the pulley grooves.Could that little tip reduce belt wear?
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you put the grease on the belt, be sure that it is only about the size of a pea and split that one pea size in about three spots. I forget what type of grease you should use but check with your dealer. I did this on my 2012 RTL and it helped a bunch.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default baker built belt tensioner

4000 miles with the baker tensioner, no problems at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    If you put the grease on the belt, be sure that it is only about the size of a pea and split that one pea size in about three spots. I forget what type of grease you should use but check with your dealer. I did this on my 2012 RTL and it helped a bunch.

Cruzr Joe
    This sounds like a cheaper alternative to fixing a vibration problem. Would that normally be a one time issue?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimnsusie View Post
    This sounds like a cheaper alternative to fixing a vibration problem. Would that normally be a one time issue?

I only had to do it one time but i traded it off 6 months later. The grease is available from a dealer, it is about 35.00 for a two ounce or so tube, but maybe as in my case they might give you a drop of to put on your belt.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I only had to do it one time but i traded it off 6 months later. The grease is available from a dealer, it is about 35.00 for a two ounce or so tube, but maybe as in my case they might give you a drop of to put on your belt.

Cruzr Joe
    Do you know what the grease is called or part# is?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by one2doo View Post
    Do you know what the grease is called or part# is?

No i do not, but your dealer should know what grease we are talking about. I will try to find the BRP paper on it.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found it in old post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

While the grease solution sounds plausible for curing the "plucking" of the belt humps out of the pulley, wouldn't it also be likely to attract more dirt/debris into the drive train causing other problems?